Help › Forums

wind Calculator

Sat, Apr 25 2020 2:10 AM (87 replies)
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 1:12 PM

Robert1893:

MainzMan:
    but, when someone comes here with a formula that tells you exactly how far to the side you have to aim I expect them to be getting the ball a bit closer if they want to be taken seriously.

On that, I agree with you 100%.

It's same thing with the person's chip, pitch, and flop model. In fact, the numbers there are even worse.

The whole thing has become a parody of itself.  

I agree also, with the qualification of when they started using their calculators.    My example earlier shows how many rounds and holes  it takes to change your ADP when you have been playing for a while.  Deena has played 986 ranked rounds.  That's where the 15 foot ADP comes from   At what point did the use of the calculator start, and what are the stats for those rounds compared to the rounds before it was created?

I made Legend after playing for about 10 or 11 months.  Nothing spectacular, I agree.  I've recounted before how it happened to me  earlier than my average justified, due to some good scores in WGT tournaments as a TM.  When that happened, I remember having an ADP of around 17 or 18 feet.  

I saturated with my 500 RR as a Legend this spring, yet I've been playing less this year.  Probably around 12 to 15 RR per month.  I would guess I had around 900  RR when I made Legend.  it's taken me almost 700 RR and almost 2 years to drop my ADP 2 or 3 feet, to my current 15 feet.

My point is it adjusts very slowly by the time you are a Legend.  I know nothing about how Deena's calculator for wind offset works.  I made some changes in how I figured out offset myself about 1 1/2 months ago, after reading some things posted on a few different blogs.  It helped me a lot.

I guess my point is that unless the calculator is shared with the community for trial, no one will know for sure how or if it works.  Except the creator.

Jeff

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 1:38 PM

+1 Jeff.

It does take a long time to bring ADP down, My experience has been very similar. It was at 16 feet when I made Legend after 621 rounds. Some 2000 rounds later, it's dropped all the way to 14!

During the same timeframe, though, my greens in regulation has improved significantly. And there is usually an inverse relationship between the two stats --- so in effect, my "greens in regulation average distance to the pin" has gone down quite a bit. It's just too had that the stats don't track that -- it would be a more meaningful statistic.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 2:05 PM

phred952:
    I agree also, with the qualification of when they started using their calculators.

Fair point.

My overall point all along, with respect to using models or calculators, is that they are unlikely to provide significant or substantive positive effects above what a lot of practice will accomplish.

The only time I use a calculator is with my putting. Other than that, I've always played pretty much by "feel." Granted, my ADP is not all that great. But, at 15.36 feet, it's not horrible either. 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 2:13 PM

K7JBQ:
    During the same timeframe, though, my greens in regulation has improved significantly. And there is usually an inverse relationship between the two stats ---

Why do you say there's an inverse relationship between the two (distance to pin and GIR)? 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 2:35 PM

Because it is much easier to get close to the pin from just off the green than it is from mid- to long iron distance. Same reason rounds with 100% GIR and 12 putts or fewer are hard to come by.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 2:50 PM

K7JBQ:
    Because it is much easier to get close to the pin from just off the green than it is from mid- to long iron distance

While true, I'm still lost and don't understand how that plays a role. It's my understanding that ADP is calcuated on par 4 and par 5 holes that are also a GIR. 

• twinponds169
    3,004 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:04 PM

Robert1893:
    But, at 15.36 feet

Just curious where you get the .36 from? I've never seen a GIR stat that was not a rounded whole number. Am I looking in the wrong place?

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:10 PM

twinponds169:
    Just curious where you get the .36 from? I've never seen a GIR stat that was not a rounded whole number. Am I looking in the wrong place?

In the mobile version, it displays distance to two significant digits. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:58 PM

Robert1893:

K7JBQ:
    Because it is much easier to get close to the pin from just off the green than it is from mid- to long iron distance

While true, I'm still lost and don't understand how that plays a role. It's my understanding that ADP is calcuated on par 4 and par 5 holes that are also a GIR. 

My understanding (based solely on looking at stats after a round) is the ADP is calculated on all greens, regardless of whether or not you hit the green in regulation.

You could be right -- I've never seen an "official" statement from WGT on how it is calculated. I just know that a lot of my "scrambling" rounds end with a low ADP.

RSS