Forums

Help › Forums

wind Calculator

Sat, Apr 25 2020 2:10 AM (87 replies)
  • mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sun, Mar 26 2017 9:59 AM

I can't figure out how to download it.  Sorry, old guy here.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Mon, Mar 27 2017 8:52 AM

Can somebody please help me with this?

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Mon, Mar 27 2017 9:05 AM

mathia14:

No, but download Bilko's wind calculator, it work well and is very easy to use. Just you have to adjust a bit the calculated distances according to your clubs and balls. A dozen of shots and you'll see how many you may shorten or lengthen the result.

https://sites.google.com/site/bilkosputterpal/jacobsgolfstats/wind-calculator-program

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Mon, Mar 27 2017 9:16 AM

mathia14:

When you get here

Click the Dropbox link

If you do not have a dropbox account, just click the download.

If you have an account you may want to sign-in first.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Mar 27 2017 10:07 AM

alberich35:

mathia14:

No, but download Bilko's wind calculator, it work well and is very easy to use. Just you have to adjust a bit the calculated distances according to your clubs and balls. A dozen of shots and you'll see how many you may shorten or lengthen the result.

https://sites.google.com/site/bilkosputterpal/jacobsgolfstats/wind-calculator-program

Bilko's is good but not as good as Kat's for the simple fact that Bilko's doesn't have cross wind settings.

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Sat, Apr 15 2017 12:43 AM

WaLk0fLiFe:

This is a bit of a late response, my apologies. I have been travelling abroad for some time and have just got back to WGT recently. The calculator had an issue with people not being able to download it. I Have decided to release a more complete version of the calculator that is user friendly and includes a lot of other functions, like crosswind aim and some other tid-bits. I will release it in this thread when it is polished a bit more (likely 1-2 weeks)

can we get an update sir?

• MissouriMike
    1 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2017 9:17 AM

Nice. thank you! works pretty darn well ... Quick question - height, is it in feet or inches?

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2017 9:43 AM

MissouriMike:

Nice. thank you! works pretty darn well ... Quick question - height, is it in feet or inches?

If you are using the Pinhunters one, its in feet.

• WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Mon, Sep 4 2017 5:27 AM

goldeena:

This is all very easy and you can do it on a spreadsheet - without clocks lols,

Input values for wind, angle, distance and elevation:

In words:

Headwind/ Tailwind = 4.4% & 3% respectively (for a Bilko approximation) times the distance divided by 10, times the wind times the cosine of the wind angle (in degrees) plus elevation divided by 3

Sidewind =  the wind times distance divided by 70 times the sin of the wind angle (in degrees)

In maths the 3 main forumae are:

Headwind component: input this in to excel

=(((($B$3/10)*0.044)*$B$1)*((COS(($B$2)*(3.14/180)))))+($B$4/3)

add this to the wind figure you input in B1

Tailwind: input this in to excel

=-(((($B$3/10)*0.03)*$B$1)*((COS(($B$2)*(3.14/180)))))+($B$4/3)

add this to the wind figure you input in B1 (notice it starts with a minus)

Side wind component: input this in to excel

=((($B$3/70*$B$1)*((SIN(($B$2)*(3.14/180))))

Wind angle is measured with an on-screen protractor overlayed on screen using the software 'custom desktop logo' and between 12 o clock and 3 (clockwise) for headwinds and 6 o clock and 3 (anti-clockwise) for tailwinds.

The lateral distance from the flagstick can be measured using a home made T-square and taking the flag to be 7foot tall, again you can scale and overlay such a gadget on-screen using the magnificent 'custom desktop logo'

Or just download somebody elses effort for the no-brainer version, lols.

It's just a 'showing off exercise on my behalf don't panic, lololos

**footnote: it was this 'casual' effort of a wind predictor that set me on a quest for the ultimate wind tool - see my WGT request for 1st nobel prize in computer golf thread**

No offense but why would anyone trust your wind advice when you have been here since 2012, can't break 60 and have an average distance to pin of 15ft? I am not slagging you. I think these are legit points and should cause some reservation/concern lol

RSS