Forums

Help › Forums

Green Speeds

Sun, Jan 21 2024 10:46 AM (25 replies)
  • wayneacampbell
    64 Posts
    Wed, Oct 12 2016 6:18 PM

Would appreciate any help from WGT. members as to various putting speed ratios .

E.G. Fast, Very Fast, Tourney, Championship, etc.

Thank You Again.

Wayne.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2016 10:07 AM

Is that an Introduction?

Unfortunately, there is not just 1 ratio for any particular green speed because up hill, down hill, with and against the wind - changes the ratio.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2016 10:34 AM

Wayne, take your distance and add for uphill and subtract for downhill to get your starting point.  On championship greens I use .74 on level or uphill putts and .70 on downhill or even .65 on severe downhill putts as a multiplier to get the distance that I want to hit the putt.  On Tournament speed greens I use .76 as a multiplier  and usually just hit the ball a little more firmly. On very fast greens try .85.  These are guidelines and the more you practice the more you will get a feel for the speeds.  That's the way I do it.  I'm sure there are others with more complicated formulas but it seems to work for me. I hope you find this helpful.   

• Young46
    1,291 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2016 12:13 PM

This may help you.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2016 5:19 PM

wayneacampbell:

Would appreciate any help from WGT. members as to various putting speed ratios .

E.G. Fast, Very Fast, Tourney, Championship, etc.

The following is *cut and pasted from* Fmagnets: (hope he doesn't mind!??)

9 = 1.1, 10 = 1.2, 11 = 1.3, 12 = 1.45, 13 = 1.6, 14 = 1.7, 15 = 1.8 then +/- elevation  +1  

Also - 10% of distance for extreme uphillers, and +1ft for every 20ft of putt into a 30mph wind and -1ft for every 30t of putt down a 30mph wind.

and.....

And you MUST always add the +1 to any elevation reading because WGT measures every putt down from the centre of the ball to the green surface. Without this +1 you will have to make adjustments between long and short putts, and all your green speed factors would generally be too slow.

The distance is also not the straight line distance to the hole, but the distance the ball would have to travel to get there (so it's greater if the putt is bendy). A rough rule of thumb is to add on half the elevation change you get when you move the marker from the hole to an aim point the same distance away as the hole. Eg. a bendy putt, you move the marker 2 yards to the side of the hole and the elevation changes from +2 to +5, so you are adding an extra +1.5 to the distance in your calculation.

• MalleeHacka
    3,570 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2016 5:58 PM

Y46,

I've downloaded the spreadsheet, but when I open it I get several error messages about the workbook containing automatic links to other workbooks - any ideas?

I've had a go with it after some adjustment and it seems to work really well if the putt elevation is positive. If it's a negative elevation the workbook won't accept the figure with the minus sign in front of it as it seems to read it as an extension to the formula in the 'Elevation' cell - B4

Where to from here.

Cheers - Malleehacka

• IJACK21
    49 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2016 10:16 PM

putting speed & distances

This is simple and has always worked for me....

You'll know what type of green you'll be shooting by looking at the highest-tier member of your group.  If that is a master, greens will be Very Fast.  If there is a Tour Master, that will be Tournament.  If there is a Legend, the greens will say "TOURNAMENT" BUT IN FACT THEY ARE LEGEND TOURNAMENT GREENS, SO BE AWARE.

Slow = -10%

Standard = add 2 ft to putting distance

Fast = deduct 4 ft from putting distance 

Very Fast = deduct 7 ft from putting distance

Tournament Speed = deduct 10 ft from putting distance

Legend Tournament Speed = deduct 11 ft from putting distance

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2016 12:08 AM

IJACK21:

Slow = -10%

Standard = add 2 ft to putting distance

Fast = deduct 4 ft from putting distance 

Very Fast = deduct 7 ft from putting distance

Tournament Speed = deduct 10 ft from putting distance

Legend Tournament Speed = deduct 11 ft from putting distance

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

For example I have a 10 foot putt on "Legend Tournament Greens" - do I hit the putt one foot? Oh dear........

This could explain why you are a level 93 tour pro with less than 18% one putts and over 2 putts per hole and nearly 30% three putts. 

I recommend players take the advice of Young46 or others in this thread as it is about reducing the power incrementally, not in terms of a linear distance.

• igolfdoyou1
    896 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2016 12:43 AM

Ultra Fast 5 - 6 for 10 ft        Champion Speed hit 7 ft for 10 feet     T

Tourney  hit 8 ft for 10ft        Very Fast hit 9 ft for 10ft                     

Fast hit 10ft for 10 ft             Standard hit 11.5 ft for 10ft

Slow hit 12.5 ft for 10f           Super Slow 18 ft for  every 10 ft

Extremely slow 3.0 for 1 foot

RSS