Help › Forums

WGT Rankings

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 23 2009 9:16 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 4:03 PM

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anybody would like to help me in a task that I'm pretty sure will not work in the long run but which I think would be fun to try anyway just for the hell of it. I want to make a WGT rankings based on players' averages. I know that averages are not a good way to rate players, but it's very hard to make rankings based on tournament play and I wanted to have some way to organize how good players are here on WGT. Hopefully it would encourage people to play more rounds, although it could end up having more and more people quit. Anyway, if you'd like to help, just let me know and I'll get you working. Thank you.

gaoerfuqiu

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 11:54 PM

Hi,

Check out forum history. Search box- top right - key word - " ranking ".

Tallacepaul already does a very good WGT World Ranking. Take a look at it - it might not be perfect but its very good, and the best we got at this point in time.

We dont want to duplicate effort if we can help it !!

Am sure Paul would be more than interested in any ideas you may have to improve the ranking system.

Cheers Doug

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 5:12 AM

I know about TallAcePaul's incredible efforts to create a WGT rankings, and it is a very good ranking system. But that only rates masters, and we all know the many issues with moving up tiers and such. So I wanted to try this to encourage people to play rounds and lower their average in order to move the rankings.

Let me give you an example: FedEx Cup vs. Official World Golf Rankings. Is Paul Casey really 18th, as the FedEx Cup standings say, or 3rd, like the OWGR says? This is not about duplicating efforts, it's about finding new ways to rate players on WGT. I just think it would be fun to see where I am in WGT in terms of average. Every day, people around the world consider new ways to rank real golf players; why not here on WGT?

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:36 PM

Hi,

Yeh - get your point. Personally I think its something that probably WGT should take on board - it seems a huge exercise. Possibly only worth doing for the Pro and Master Tiers. You can get through the lower tiers pretty quickly.

It would certainly be great if everyone on WGT had an official WGT World Ranking, whatever tier they play in. That would be excellent and as you say you could then know where you stand and start to work your way up the rankings. 

How are you going to deal with sandbaggers, and the like - thats the biggest hurdle. Lots of them out there, and that will really skew the rankings ??? Players who just throw in the odd bad round just to keep their ranking down so they dont advance tiers ??

Like the idea - be happy to share ideas /  thoughts anytime.

Keep me posted.

Cheers Doug

• GSpinks1962
    106 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 8:27 PM

If WGT did a ranking as mentioned it might even help as a deterrent to the sandbagging. Think about it. If you put up bad rounds you would not climb the rankings and those who take it serious enough to do such things would have egos that wouldn’t allow them to slip in the rankings. Maybe I’m thinking wrong here but that’s how I would envision it playing out.

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 8:38 PM

Did you already post this same forum somewhere else too??

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 6:36 AM

To dorkfeatures and GSpinks1962:

You're right with the sandbagging issue. It's something that physically can't be avoided at this point. Many people with big egos will not want to post bad rounds and move down the rankings. Maybe what I could do is, when the rankings are set, have a minimum number of rounds to play a week or something. What I am doing currently is just doing the Master Tier to encourage people to move up tiers rather than just hanging back in Pro or even Amateur. The problem with doing lower tiers is that eventually people move up and it gets very confusing. So I'm sticking with just masters now, and when I'm done I'll update it every week.

And edchavez, yes I did post this in other sections just so I could get more publicity. I wasn't actually completely sure where to put this (there are reasons to put them in all three forum sections that I did), so I put them in all of them.

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 6:49 AM

One more thing I'm doing: I'm only using players that have current averages under 70.00. This is to encourage people to play more rounds and not just settle for being a master. I want to see if people think this is a good idea. Thanks.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 5:18 PM

Hi,

Pity you're not doing it for the Pro tier as well - as I am a Pro at the moment.

I would have thought a ranking for the whole tier would be the go, so everyone would know where on the ladder they stand, and what they have to do to get higher. I think a certain number of tournaments per month would be the go. They would have to be a combination of 9 hole and 18 hole single play rounds. You'd need to include the Monthly International as well - then what happens when they make it multi and off the red tees ??????????? You couldnt include it in that month?

NO Multiplays - lets face it they are just for fun really.

Thats just my 2bobs worth.

Cheers Doug

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 7:05 PM

dorkfeatures, you have the right idea with the tournaments that should be played as a minimum, and I think that could work with only single play tournaments as you said. I'm just starting with the Master tier for now but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do Pro tier as well very soon. Thanks a lot for your input.

• PAGES
RSS