Forums

Help › Forums

putter increments

Fri, Nov 2 2018 5:49 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2016 3:04 AM

I am sure I am not alone,- and likely not the first who brings this up but the increments in the putters really keeps me from investing in another putter. My current putter is good, but I would have already gotten a different one if it would come in the same increments as my current putter

understand specs are different but why do increments need to be?

Maybe you could implement something similar to selling balls in different colours? Have the same putter available with different meter increments so each player can choose which one he prefers. you want to charge a few more coins for different increments,- be my guest. But you currently lose a lot of potential to sell more putters because players are reluctant to move away from their preferred increments. ...

Just a thought....

• BigTrap
    29 Posts
    Fri, Jul 21 2017 6:39 AM

This is gonna sound kinda odd but so those little lines mean how far you hit or alleged distance? I really dont use them but if they help my game. Maybe you could explain that for me?

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, Jul 21 2017 11:40 AM

sky0diver:

I am sure I am not alone,- and likely not the first who brings this up but the increments in the putters really keeps me from investing in another putter. My current putter is good, but I would have already gotten a different one if it would come in the same increments as my current putter

understand specs are different but why do increments need to be?

Maybe you could implement something similar to selling balls in different colours? Have the same putter available with different meter increments so each player can choose which one he prefers. you want to charge a few more coins for different increments,- be my guest. But you currently lose a lot of potential to sell more putters because players are reluctant to move away from their preferred increments. ...

Just a thought....

Sometimes I wonder about you . You mean to tell me that you dont know how to go to the proshop and check out a clubs specs > Go look at the Taylor Made putters pick out the one you like and click on "Learn More" . It will pull up the putter and compare it to the one you currently have . I think the nike and T/M putters have the same increments . 

Im quite sure that WGT isnt losing any money on the putters due to the increments . As you upgrade your clubs you relearn them and putters are no different . The best putters in the proshop are the Versa putters hands down . They hold their lines better and can be played both ways by hitting the ding or missing the ding . Get one like the L70+ to start with and you wont be disappointed .

• BigTrap
    29 Posts
    Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:50 PM

I see all the lines or increments on the power line but I really do see how they relate to distance. Is it possible to get an explanation on the lines/increments? Im just looking to improve my game.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Fri, Jul 21 2017 1:59 PM

It's really odd that you are Level 100 and don't know this...

BigTrap:
    This is gonna sound kinda odd but so those little lines mean how far you hit or alleged distance?

You mean the little lines across the meter? They are from the Putter Pal and help to put the meter at a certain power percentage.

First of all, they mean stroke power in relation to the putting scale, and this means putting distance on a Standard green. This relation is linear BTW.

Example: Using 25% power with a 30 ft scale on a flat Standard green will let the ball roll 7.5 ft.

You also have to apply a factor for green speed, 120 % for "very fast" greens. Other influence comes from the slopes.

Example: Same power as above on a vf green means 9 ft roll.

Loads of advice in the FAQs and in the Forums - look and search for them!

• pmm711
    5,514 Posts
    Tue, Jul 25 2017 9:37 AM

alosso:
    It's really odd that you are Level 100 and don't know this...

He's in The Mile High CC...that should sum it up for ya!

• BigTrap
    29 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2018 9:33 AM

SO I am looking at older posts for assistance and lo and behold : I still have the same problem! Good equipment but just do not get this putting thing. I guess  am looking for a simple explanation on the basic mechanics of how to tell if my distance is correct which seems to be my biggest problem.  I know I have seen the "how to's" many times but I am not a math guy-I just want to know how to put the ball on the dang hole!  

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2018 8:03 PM

BigTrap:
     I know I have seen the "how to's" many times but I am not a math guy-I just want to know how to put the ball on the dang hole!  

Well, you either need to do some arithmetic or record how far putts go under every condition and stroke power.  I find the former much easier.  It is incredibly important to understand the meter distances (power) for each putter meter!

I believe there are some fairly straight-forward spreadsheets or programs available to do the math.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2018 9:37 PM

BigTrap:
    I guess  am looking for a simple explanation on the basic mechanics of how to tell if my distance is correct which seems to be my biggest problem.

Do you mean knowing how hard to hit to get a certain distance?

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2018 11:00 PM

BigTrap:
    I guess  am looking for a simple explanation on the basic mechanics of how to tell if my distance is correct which seems to be my biggest problem.  I know I have seen the "how to's" many times but I am not a math guy

There are putting distance tables in the forum - they contain meter power for putting lengths on different green speeds. Search! =>

As a further non-numeric(?) aid, there are the increment movements of the avatar.
    Putter Pal is available for free, for members of L4+ CCs.

And, you need a little math (at least comparison to your memory chart) for this game to compensate for the lack of "feel" with a club in your hand. The tables help me do that on the greens.

Concerning your final remark: Yes you are - each visit to the grocery or the gas station proves that, comparing prices.

• PAGES
RSS