Forums

Help › Forums

Windows 10

Fri, Dec 9 2022 10:11 AM (50 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 1:44 PM

bubbsboy:

A fella in our club downloaded Baidu but then has advised to be careful as it is not compatible with Windows 10

He mentioned this which you may know about as i sure as hell dont lol

has a Trojan.win32.Wrongdll.bsr virus inherant in it

I use it on my new Win10 laptop, never had any problem with it and definitely no malware.

Did he use a safe download site?

Here's Baidu page and here's the download from CNET

Both of those are 100% kosher.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 2:01 PM

I will forward this on mate, infact the whole link already on our forum

Ive had no issues either, read up and Windows 10 is fine with it

One thread on internet a bloke saying it forces you to buy extras by finding made up problems.......but ive never ever had that.....never promted to buy anything

Cheers mate

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 2:13 PM

I read that thread, that does not describe my experience at all. Maybe the site is ran by another malware removal company?

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 2:16 PM

PaulTon:
    Here's Baidu page

Gave it a try earlier from the above direct link. Same 'Trojan' showing.

Never waited for scan to end. Restored laptop to prior to download and ran Hitman Pro to clear all the crap.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 2:29 PM

Cheers J, think thats what John from our club was getting when he did it. He said its own system picked up the trojan..........weird as ive had no probs

Erevyhting seeeeeeeeeeemzzzzzz f  ine

;-)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 2:34 AM

I was running Win 8.1.  After constant refusals of the Upgrade prompt, it decided to Upgrade Win 10 automatically without me saying.   Damn.

Win10   No problems,  Game runs better and I'm very happy about it.

-Roger

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 6:08 AM

ScottHope:

I don't know this for certain Andy, but the offer for the free upgrade to Win 10 ends at the end of July, so hopefully they'll stop trying to force it on us after that date.

I don't ever remember Microsoft being so aggressive previously with new versions of Windows, so I'm not sure what's behind this current strategy. I don't like it though.  : (

⇩ EDIT : Sure diddly, hehe. : ) ⇩

Did you ever know Microsoft to give a free upgrade to the next version of Windows? My memory might not be that great but I don't recall them ever offering the next version of Windows for free. 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 8:58 AM

They did offer people who bought new computers with the later version of Vista a chance to upgrade to Windows 7 for free.  That's the only other time I heard about it.  

i did take advantage of the Windows 10 upgrade from 8,1 after thinking about it for a while and have had no problems related to changing  But like most of us I use a dedicated browser only for WGT (Maxthon3) and have it set up to clear history on exit.  i also clear caches frequently (about every 9 holes or so).  So far that seems to work.

However, past performance is no guarantee of current outcome, and your mileage may vary.

phred952

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 9:32 AM

Phred if you wouldn`t mind please

I have Windows 10 and Maxthon...how do you set up to clear history on exit ?

Bubbs

EDIT, no need i have found it in setting.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 10:32 AM

phred952:

They did offer people who bought new computers with the later version of Vista a chance to upgrade to Windows 7 for free.  That's the only other time I heard about it.  

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win10 for free this year.  As I had 7 Pro I also got 10 Pro and I have to admit, the process went flawlessly, apart from the meter issue mentioned earlier.

Not sure what Microsoft get out of it, I suppose the number of people who actually took advantage of the offer was small fry compared to the number of OEM copies they'll sell.

RSS