Help › Forums

Windows 10

Fri, Dec 9 2022 10:11 AM (50 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 5:38 AM

bubbsboy:

Windows 10 works great with the game.

Issues outside of it with wanting to get rid of apps I don't want but game wise it's spot on.

Howzit

In my opinion Microsoft made/stole/bought 4 good operating systems for home users:

• Windows 3.11
    • Windows XP Service Pack 2
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 10

Of the above, Windows 10 is just simply the best. I use it with Firefox v47, Flash Player v 22.0.0.192 and I never have meter issues.

I don't really bother about killing background processes, I just ensure that I have no weird sh|t installed on my laptop.

Cheers,

Peter

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 6:10 AM

I don't know this for certain Andy, but the offer for the free upgrade to Win 10 ends at the end of July, so hopefully they'll stop trying to force it on us after that date.

I don't ever remember Microsoft being so aggressive previously with new versions of Windows, so I'm not sure what's behind this current strategy. I don't like it though.  : (

⇩ EDIT : Sure diddly, hehe. : ) ⇩

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 6:27 AM

ScottHope:

I don't know this for certain Andy, but the offer for the free upgrade to Win 10 ends at the end of July, so hopefully they'll stop trying to force it on us after that date.

I don't ever remember Microsoft being so aggressive previously with new versions of Windows, so I'm not sure what's behind this current strategy. I don't like it though.  : (

We can only hope Scott  < ..see what I did there ?  ;-)))

AND..overly aggressive marketing can turn ppl off !!

Did someone mention ;Barstewards ' /?  ;p

• tex990
    808 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 6:53 AM

If you REALLY want Windows 10 to go away and never bother (or surprise) you again..

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 6:55 AM

It's more the 'HP' part of the original post that I'd be worried about. Notorious for fan(s) overheating and causing the left hand hinge to come away from the main casing. Dump the HP branded stuff (advisor/dock/updater) asap.

I used Windows7 for long enough and steadfastly refused to upgrade even to Windows8.

After seeing 8 run on my son's laptop I decided to take the leap to 10. Yeah initially it was frustrating with the continual updating and a system/desktop I just wasn't familiar with.

Works fine for me now and is nowhere near as heavy on CPU as previous versions.

Plenty of info online regarding what's safe to turn off/delete etc. e.g. I've no interest whatsoever in the 'X-Box' apps.

@ the OP; just remember if you do purchase a Windows10 OS you may well find your laptop, since leaving the factory originally,  is months behind regarding further updates.

Hope things work out for ya.

• largemouth51
    1,212 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 8:22 AM

I use win 10 and Maxthon and have no problems. I also use a program I downloaded free form CNET called Advanced System Care. I run it once a day to fix and clean my computer. This program also has a game feature which enables you shut off programs you don't need while gaming.

Bob/HO

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 11:47 AM

Hmmm, maybe I have something set up wrong but for me Win 7 had a far better meter than Win 10.

I've used Maxthon 3 for years and had a meter that was smooth as you could wish for with Win 7.  However, with 10 I can have a smooth one for 1 shot, jerky as hell the next with the ball then travelling across my screen like an old stop motion film.

It was suggested I upgrade to the latest Flash version which did help a bit but it didn't cure it by any means.  And it seems to be getting worse again lately.

I changed nothing on the PC when I changed to Win 10, everything is as it was.  As an OS I like it a lot, very intuitive and easy to use but I'm missing a ton of putts due to the meter.

Has anyone any idea what's causing it?

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 2:45 AM

Try this cleaner, it gets stuff that CCleaner doesn't.

I use it once a month as part of my maintenance routine.

Edit - I just ran it and this is what it found and cleaned - 

Good luck man.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 3:00 AM

I use above few times a day, it promps for a clean once per week but also it has a "faster now" option which just closes stuff at a press

Fantastic it is

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 1:31 PM

Scott/Paul/Andy or any other comp genius...

A fella in our club downloaded Baidu but then has advised to be careful as it is not compatible with Windows 10

He mentioned this which you may know about as i sure as hell dont lol

has a Trojan.win32.Wrongdll.bsr virus inherant in it

Thanks in advance

Bubbs

RSS