Help › Forums

Oak & the Us open... boring

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 21 2016 3:24 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 2:42 AM

Did someone see the latest Us Open at Oakmond? I saw some hours on thursday and I simply got bored : ((. Not that the players I was watching played bad or alike..... it was the bloody course, BORING!.

...no iconic holes, no big hazards, no obstacles like trees or water, but tough BUNKERS are bumpy greens.

The golf course is lying in the middle of a hilly field surrounding by.... trees. There is a course here in Denmark that reminds me a lot Oakmond, I have played a couple of times and got bored.

Oakmond will be hosting the Us Open again in 2026 they said.......for god sake!!!!...there are SO many other beautiful and challenging courses in the Us to choose from, why Oakmond again??? : (((

Yup, the Latest Us Open is something to forget quick, Dustin Johnson keeps the trophy tho ; ))

...the hole thing was so boring that not even WGT or me made a Pick'em competition ; )). I'm longing for the next big tournaments soon and the.... Ryder Cup : )))

Eric

• ReisR
    341 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 6:10 AM

Oakmond? Is that a Danish course? Never heard of it :)

I don't agree when you say it was boring. There was plenty of doubt till the very last couple of holes.

Although, I do agree that it wasn't a great tournament. Nobody was playing well, and the player that was able to grind it out won. It was a well deserved win.

I think your criticism of the course is over the top. It is surely one of the finest courses in the world. But again, I do agree that a hilly course with plenty of trees and some water are the most fun to watch and play. I think you will have to wait till 2020 (Winged Foot) to see the US Open again played in that type of course.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 6:44 AM

ReisR:
    I don't agree when you say it was boring.

Same here. Knowing the course as well as we all do now after having played it for 6 years, I thought it was great to be able to watch how they played it. While we unconsciously pull out the driver on the tee and fire away, the pros couldn't do that. Or chose not to in many cases because to do so would put them in a big hurt.

I followed Speith all 4 days online on the USGA site ( he was in one of the featured groups all 4 days)  and got to see everything he saw AND understand exactly why his score was what it was. He saw all of the things we see that make Oakmont a really hard place to score well at and his mistakes crucified him.

I suppose if you relish pros sticking darts to gimmes and scoring in the double digits under par then I could see why you were bored. Most gamers would think this way but real golfers can appreciate what those guys had to do to just to be able to par the course.

Oakmont played true to form and reinforced, for me, just how good of a job WGT did on this course. This was one of the most enjoyable tournaments to follow because of them.  :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 7:12 AM

"On the course itself, Garcia added: "It's definitely the toughest. Definitely the toughest I've ever played. There's no doubt about it.

"It is really tough the way it's playing right now, being a little bit softer," he added. "It was easily the toughest on Monday and on Tuesday and Wednesday. No doubt. When the greens were firm. Good golf course, though. ...

"I'm very happy to, obviously, finish at two under. I didn't play that great this afternoon but I thought I scrambled nicely and I made a couple big putts when I needed to."

Sergio Garcia

I side with a great course, and personally very much enjoyed it.  Good course here too.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 9:54 AM

Eric is talking about aesthetics guys!  How the course looks to his eye, not how it plays or how the US Open played this past weekend.  Would anyone argue Oakmont is more aesthetically pleasing than Pebble Beach?

Like Eric, I prefer parkland style courses with trees and water so I agree with Eric on Oakmont's boring appearance.  On the other hand, I do like the challenge of its length and variety of holes. 

A bit of history for Eric....Originally was designed in 1906 as a wide open links style course without trees.  It stayed that way until the early 1960s when a tree planting beautification program started.  Thousands of elm, spruce and pine trees were planted.  Those trees remained and grew for 30 years until the early 90s.  Eric and I would have liked the aesthetics better during that period! ;-)

Then in the early 1990s all the trees were causing turf problems and course superintendant Mark Kuhns began a covert night time tree removal activity with the aim to restore Oakmont to its original wide open design.  It caused quite an uproar with members and the local "tree-hugger" organizations.  But he prevailed.

“The question was, do you want an arboretum, like a walk in the park? Or do you want to play golf?” Kuhns said. “If you want to play golf, I need 8-10 hours a day of direct sunlight on tees, greens and fairways.”

It is estimated more than 14,000 trees have been removed from Oakmont since the early 1990s.

Here's some images from Oakmont with trees and without:

The 18th hole from the front tees:

With trees

and in 2009 when WGT took their photo..

View of #18 from behind green with trees:

And in 2009 when WGT took their photo from behind green:

Some links:

In The Clear

Why Oakmont Waged a War on Trees

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 9:58 AM

Great golf course, but not the best of set ups tbh. Any correlation between Mike Davis and US Opens starting to become boring,barring Merion ofc ? Would have liked to have seen more exciting pins like #2 on Sunday. No front rights on #1 or #10 either... Sticking front pins over bunkers when the course is softish is really imaginative!!!

He'll probably ruin Winged foot(fabulous,fabulous US Open course) too if he's there till 2020.

• scaredcrow
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 10:01 AM

Fair comment.

But remember Chambers Bay last year?

Oakmont is straight drives and hit greens.

Makes a difference when the wrong shot costs at least a stroke.

S

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 11:44 AM

andyson:
    Eric is talking about aesthetics guys!

Your interpretation. CC's and WGT don't set up "Pickem" competitions based on what the course looks like. Boring is SA and RSG. Nary a tree in sight and zero landscaping, about as dreary and boring as it gets.  Even CBay trumps those 2. It has a train and one tree.  :-D

p.s., Interesting article about the trees.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 12:27 PM

Totally agree with Jim. (I know, shocker) :)

Only course in world with Church Pews, by the way. Oakmont is a stern test IRL - even from the fairway, as we saw.   Easier on WGT because the conditions of the greens do not vary.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 12:40 PM

andyson:

Eric is talking about aesthetics guys!  How the course looks to his eye, not how it plays or how the US Open played this past weekend.  Would anyone argue Oakmont is more aesthetically pleasing than Pebble Beach?

Like Eric, I prefer parkland style courses with trees and water so I agree with Eric on Oakmont's boring appearance.  On the other hand, I do like the challenge of its length and variety of holes. 

A bit of history for Eric....Originally was designed in 1906 as a wide open links style course without trees.  It stayed that way until the early 1960s when a tree planting beautification program started.  Thousands of elm, spruce and pine trees were planted.  Those trees remained and grew for 30 years until the early 90s.  Eric and I would have liked the aesthetics better during that period! ;-)

Then in the early 1990s all the trees were causing turf problems and course superintendant Mark Kuhns began a covert night time tree removal activity with the aim to restore Oakmont to its original wide open design.  It caused quite an uproar with members and the local "tree-hugger" organizations.  But he prevailed.

“The question was, do you want an arboretum, like a walk in the park? Or do you want to play golf?” Kuhns said. “If you want to play golf, I need 8-10 hours a day of direct sunlight on tees, greens and fairways.”

It is estimated more than 14,000 trees have been removed from Oakmont since the early 1990s.

Here's some images from Oakmont with trees and without:

The 18th hole from the front tees:

With trees

and in 2009 when WGT took their photo..

View of #18 from behind green with trees:

And in 2009 when WGT took their photo from behind green:

Some links:

In The Clear

Why Oakmont Waged a War on Trees

Spot on Andy : )))... & GREAT information you got for us bud ; ))

Nobody discuss the grade of difficulty Oakmond presented for the tournament with the course in top shape for the event, it was the feeling of seeing the same hole over & over. I had to come to WGT and check the lay out f the hole to see what hole those players were playing, to my surprise see a very different looking hole than the ones from WGT.

I did follow, a bit tho, several groups over the 4 days but I had to check all the time what hole they were playing. yes, it did look the same all over.

If I see pic 4, I see the huge difference after those thousands of trees were gone, pity in my opinion (& I'm not from GreenPeace lol) but the designer got what he wanted...a more open looking but more tough course also.

Chambers is also a not good looking course but at least you can easily recognize the holes, elevations and hazards and in my eyes it kept public & tv viewers much more entertained than in Oakmond.

I was watching & listening in NBC the Open and even the commentators were not as enthusiastic about what was happening live as they normally do when commenting the live action...dunno, perhaps just me wishing to see instant recognizable holes.

Yes, me not big fan of "links" courses like RSG although courses like St. Andrews has those iconic holes you can instantly recognize as well as historic architecture.

Thanks again for the awesome & graphical explanation Andy : )))

Eric

• PAGES
RSS