• PAGES
  • Kash22
    1 Posts
    Wed, Nov 26 2008 9:09 PM

how do you get amateur ranking? 

• jose52
    2 Posts
    Wed, Nov 26 2008 10:43 PM

I was just told that a 69 gets you an amateur ranking.

• dcboys4
    13 Posts
    Thu, Feb 19 2009 5:52 AM

i have a 69 and i did not change.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Thu, Feb 19 2009 6:34 AM

68.99 average takes you to the amateur tier, and then you never go back to hack even if your average goes up again.

• TXBowhunter
    82 Posts
    Thu, Feb 19 2009 6:37 AM

Oh...and it will go back up after going to Amateur.  Takes a little bit to dial in the longer distances.

• GregRycerz
    14 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 12:58 PM

So do your distances increase when you up a rank?  I've been wondering about distances and what makes them increase.

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:11 PM

*Caution*

Your club distances will not increase, if that is what you are thinking.  When you move to Amateur you are moved back to the next set of tees! That's it.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:13 PM

Buying new clubs is the only thing that will increase your distance off the tee.

69.17 is the magic number to make Amateur right now.

• jbowles824
    67 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2009 10:42 AM

I did not go to bed at all Friday night and was playing ranked rounds on the back nine. I played and played and played....well you get the picture. I played so much I actually started dropping from my 71.something  ranking. Later that night I was having an extra good round and I could not believe the luck in having putts to fall into the cup.

I was very excited about my low score and before I realized what I was doing, I hit print screen and went to paint to paste it in and save it. I came back and quickly went to the main menu without thinking......and there was my worst nightmare...I had been moved to amateur.

For some folks, this would probably make them happy. I am one of those who never plays 18 holes for ranking because it never fails that I will shoot 5-8 over par for 18 holes. I always play 9, the back nine actually, for ranking and I usually shoot -1 or -2 at best.

The front side usually eats my lunch and having not played it much lately I shot +8 today on the front side while trying to play 18 holes for rank. When I got to 18 I quit before I putted. It was not that I was ashamed to post the score, it was because I had no fun in it anymore. No, it was not actually because of the longer distance, it was from putting. But I am sure the longer second shot on par 4's and third shot on par 5's not getting as close to the pin as I am accustomed had something to do with it. But I have played over and over today and the handwriting is on the wall, my fun is over.

Anyway, I am a recreational online golfer who will never be as good as most the play WGT. I know I won't be now. I am not good enough to play further back on the tees, because in doing so means you have to hit longer irons. I have played a fairly good amount, but I don't have the time to invest for the long haul to improve to the level of a lot of players.

I enjoyed being able to get online and play a few ranked rounds, try a stroke tourney and try a few closest to the pin tourney's. I don't sandbag, don't quit on folks, but I am not going to play with anyone now given how bad I am playing. Not that I don't want to play, I just won't put someone thru the round the way I am playing now.

And just for the record, as good as that round felt when I did so well, even if it was only a -3, if I had not been so sleepy and realized that it was going to take me to amateur status, I would have quit before I dropped the last put and left it at that. Because now the joy of shooting 1- to -2 for 9 holes has been taken from me. And it is like Dorthy was told" You're not in Kansas anymore".

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 1:50 PM

Hi jbowles, if it's any consolation, we will be introducing a Pro tier soon, so that should move the best of the best out of the Amateur tier.

• PAGES
RSS