Thu, Sep 10 2009 9:15 PM (201 replies)
  • TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 12:56 AM

Bet it was fun though

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 3:49 AM

Saturday 5th of September

QUARTER-FINAL MATCHES -  I am waiting for the game between nivlac & DanManCan to be completed and it seem there are some delay as nivlac can not be contacted at the moment so I'll give this match an extension of 24 hours only to be fair to the other players waiting, so both players have until midnite tonight to finish this match.  

The remaining match I have awarded the match to Zant due to the fact that Zippy-Pivot is away and not due back until Tuesday.  It's unfortunate that I have to make this decision, but the tournament has to go on and there are players waiting to play their match.  Through out the tournament I have made many reminders to all players regarding finishing their game on time otherwise I will forfeit them, so rules are rules and I need to stick to my schedule for the tournament to finish within reasonable time.

Therefore the Semi-Final games will start on Sunday with the games as follow:

• Semi-Final #1 -        nivlac/DanManCan   vs  Zant
    • Semi-Final #2 -        TallAcePaul   vs   AvatarLee

Again the format will be the same as in the Quarter-Finals round, Front 9 Kiawah and Back 9 Bethpage Black.  The Deadline for these games is midnite on Monday 7th of September. So let's the big games begin and best of luck to all the players.

KNOCKOUT PHASE SCHEDULE

PRO TOURNAMENT -  So we are finally left with just 2 players who will fight out the Final game of the tournament.  The Final will be between - 

Jiggs445   vs   BigJeff65

The format of play is the same as in previous round with Front 9 Kiawah Island first and Back 9 Bethpage Black second.  The deadline for this game is midnite on Monday 7th of September.

What a great match up this is and both players are very evenly  matched in skill so I can see this match will be fought to the very last hole with a big possibility for extra hole sudden death ! Goodluck gents and we all look forward to hear the result of this game.

KNOCKOUT PHASE SCHEDULE - PRO

• Jiggs445
    27 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 2:22 PM

PRO FINAL

Jiggs445 - 36 - 34 = 70

Defeats

BigJeff65 - 37 - 38 = 75

I was excited for this match as BigJeff was the only player to beat me back in the round robin phase.  I was also fortunate enough to catch Jeff a bit off of his game today.  We both struggled mightily with the putter today as it seemed each of us tapped in to finish each hole. Jeff seemed to lip out an inordinate amount today... the golf gods...

After an uneventful 9 (2 bogeys, 1 birdie between us), I was one stroke ahead and we both made a few pars to start the back nine on BPB.  On 13, in the rough from 54 yds, I stuck it to 3 inches to tap in for bird.  This appeared to take the wind out of Jeff's sails, after bogeying 12 and missing his bird here.  A bogey for Jeff on 14 to my par, and Jeff had to be hoping for total collapse on the dreaded 15th.  We both made well played pars on 15 and finished out the round ordinarily.

Jeff is a true gent, and as we both represent each others only loss in this tourney, we are going to break out the starters soon for the rubber match to settle it once and for all. good times...

Coolswing - Phenomal tourney, can't wait to be a part of your next!! Well done.

Do I get a shot at the master's champ when that finishes???

Jiggs

• BigJeff65
    45 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 6:38 PM

Really good match today by Jiggs445 he gave me a good old fashion butt kickin by just pulling away on the back 9.Like i told Jiggs445 i forgot to eat my wheaties today because everything was coming up a bit short,so many putts just missed.But not to take away from a great round played by Jiggs445 he had alot of approach shot really close to the flag and i just couldn't match him.This was my first community tournament that i have played in since joining wgt and it was a blast.

Thanks again for a great tournament run by Coolswing.

Peace,BigJeff65

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 1:13 AM

Sunday 6th of September

I bring you some sensational development over night as firstly the result of the last Quarter-Final match came through just before midnite -

DanManCan  defeat  nivlac   66 - 68

Unbelievable result in what must be a great match.  The brief report I received from DanManCan indicated it was a real tense match and both players are even all the way and he came through as a result of good course management and consistent play under pressure.  Congrats to him for a huge upset, very well done.  Thank you nivlac for providing us with some great play and it's unfortunate that someone has to lose, I hope you're not too disappointed and had a good time in the tourney.

Immediately after that DanManCan then took on Zant in the 1st Semi-Final and the result is as follow:

Zant  defeat  DanManCan  68 - 73

Apparently it was a very high quality game in which DanManCan scored an eagle on the front 9 with a hole in approach shot.  He only unravel due to 2 bad holes with one of them lead to a triple bogie.  I guess Dan ran out of steam in the back 9 and Zant continued his consistent play to win convincingly in the end. 

Here is an excerpt from Dan's message to me:

"It's all over but the shouting, almost the match of the tourney, but didn't finish strong enough.  Zant will probably post a blow by blow, but long story short. I was 3 down going into the par three 14 at Page after hitting it in the drink on 2 at Kiawah, not looking good for me just came off 13 with a 4 footer for bird, but couldn't pick up a shot, cause Zant drained a 30 footer for bird. He hit it stoney on 14, about 6', then i stepped up and promptly knocked it in for an Ace, and we were off to the races.  He missed his bird and i was only 1 back.  He put his 2nd in the rough short on 15 and I tried the ole bank shot, just a shade long, or it would have come back to within a foot of the hole.  However I promptly 5 putted from 47' on top of that fun green and gave back 3 shots, game over.  But for about 30 seconds it was getting exciting."

Congrats to Zant for another excellent win, he has played very well and been consistent through out the tournament and he certainly deserve to be in the Final, very well done.  Thank you DanManCan for providing some fantastic games against big name players, Congrats to you also for making it to the Semi-Final and you certainly showed us what a fine player you are.

Also Congrats to Jiggs445 for winning the Pro tournament in a very good Final match.  Your name will now go on to the trophy as being the 1st Winner of the Pro Starters Tournament, great job and well done.  Thank you to BigJeff65 who have performed excellent through out the tournament and was unlucky to lose at the last hurdle, congrats to you also for some great play and I hope you had a good time in the tournament.

Just a quick note to inform everyone that there will be no match between the Master Champion and the Pro Champion, I'd like to think that there's nothing wrong with having 2 winners in a tournament and there's really no point of matching up player from 2 different tier.  I'd like to thanks all the Players in the Pro Tournament for your participation and also for your commitment to complete all your games on time.  In my next tournament I'd would certainly invite you all back as I really enjoyed the entertainment you've provided, great stuffs everyone.

That's all for now as we wait for the result of the remaining Semi-Final and then on to the big Final game as the Tournament finally winds down to a fantastic conclusion.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 3:33 AM

That was a huge upset, indeed. Too bad these games aren't recorded anywhere for our viewing pleasure! Even if one were to aim one's webcamera at the screen & later post that to YouTube... that would be better than nothing.

DanManCan's second result reminded me of my own final loss in this tournament, where I said it looks like a bad idea to play two important 18-hole games on a single day... Let alone immediately afterwards! If a player is victorious in the first game, he often feels certain exhiliration & more energy than he really has, but the result of the 2nd game rarely confirms that the enthusiasm was warranted.

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 1:43 PM

Well looks like it's down to Zant and I again!  TallAcePaul was slow out of the gate unable to get under par on any of the first 4 holes, and I ended up taking a 3 stroke lead into the turn, where we battled a beast ridden back 9 at Bethpage, which was really no fun for either of us... =(  In the end Paul was not able to make up any ground and the match ended like this:

TallAcePaul: 35-36

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 2:06 PM

Good game guys !  on to the Final then, it'll be a re-match between Zant  vs  AvatarLee !  Looking forward to the big game !

• cobrag10
    1,398 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 2:17 PM

Now THAT would be fun to watch!

• Noonan8282
    4 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 2:21 PM

im in

RSS