Forums

Help › Forums

THE STARTERS INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT

Thu, Sep 10 2009 9:15 PM (201 replies)
  • DivotDave
    147 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 7:44 AM

Thank you Jiggs for a great match.  A grind it was, the putts would not drop for us.  That recovery on 12 was really nice.  Thanks Coolswing, enjoyed the tournament, nice work!  Looking forward to your next one!

Dave

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 9:33 AM

Well, first I would like to say Well Done to Badaboom for keeping me on my toes for most of our match! You definitely had me worried for a good part of it!  Here is the highlight package of how our match went down:

Right off AvatarLee starts off by missing an easy 11 foot bird putt on #1 giving Badaboom the early advantage after sinking an even easier putt for the bird.  Bada then proceeds to play smart fairway and GIR golf as Lee finds himself in the right rough on an arrant layup.  Unfortunately Bada is unable to capitalize barely missing a tough bending putt from right of the hole on #2, as Lee scrambles to save par.  Hole #3 saw two routine birdies leading into one of the turning points of the match...

#4 starts out with two very similar drives and Lee hits a nice approach to within 20 feet behind the hole.  Bada plays his approach well short into the front of the bunker.  Unable to scramble out of the bunker on the first try, Bada ends up with a bogey as Lee rolls in a slippery birdie putt.  2 shot swing!

#5 starts out with Lee stopping a nice iron shot 6 feet short of (above) the hole and Bada ends up 26 feet past in an all too familiar place on that green.  Bada then strokes an excellent putt and makes the bird!  Lee ends up judging the break poorly and misses the bird.  Back to all square!

#6 Saw two short approach shots, Bada to about 4 yards left and pin high and Lee was right at it but 5 yards short.  Lee sinks the 16 footer for bird as Bada misses a difficult breaker and drops back to one stroke behind.

#7 Aside from both being in the rough after their approaches they were both able to make very similar subtle snakes for bird from the back of the green

#8 Both ended up short on this hole with Lee being further short and left.  Two very hard putts for birdie were converted to pars.

#9 Again with very similar drives Bada hits his approach just short of the green to set up for a 9 yard chip and Lee is 40+ feet behind the hole.  Bada puts out a valiant effort to tie up the match but ends just inches short of holing out!  A very nice try indeed.  They both go on to save par.

So the players make the turn with Bada trailing by just one stroke going into the back nine at Bethpage where anything can happen!  But on #10 a short approach ends up in the bunker and Bada is unable to get up and down for par and Lee sinks one of a couple of clutch long range putts from the back fringe for a birdie to take a 3 shot lead.

#11 sees trouble for both players on the approach but Lee gets a generous bounce to direct the shot towards the pin.  Bada playing from the rough between the bunker and green is able to scramble out the par as Lee 2 putts for par.

#12 sees a couple of long putts where Lee is not even close on the birdie attempt and Bada just lips out to get back in the match. On to #13 where again there were two routine birdies leading to another turning point!

#14 A sound from the gallery (a.k.a. lag) causes Lee to place his tee shot well short and right into the greenside bunker while Bada plays a beautiful shot to within 6 feet of the pin.  Lee is unable to convert the sand save leading to another 2 shot swing when Bada sinks the birdie to get to within one shot going into the dreaded #15!

#15 Lee decides to gamble here and go for it in two, the shot looks really good bouncing in the rough just short of the green but squirts up and stays on the top shelf!  Seeing this, Bada plays a short layup right to the end of the fairway for a very smart play.  Unfortunately Bada puts a bit too much on the next shot and ends up on the top shelf as well.  Both players went on to 3-putt the hole and Lee takes a 2 stroke lead with three holes left to play.

#16 Bada hits an arrant approach to the front right rough and is forced to scramble again while Lee strokes a 3w to the very front edge of the green.  A good recovery sees Bada with a 8 footer for par when Lee steps up and hits another clutch 43 foot bender for birdie to drive a nail in the match.  Bada ends up missing the par and the final two holes are non de-script pars.

Final Score:  AvatarLee 32-34, Badaboom 33-37 but it was much closer through the match!

So that's it, sorry for being a bit long winded but I thought that this match deserved a thorough highlight as it was quite a challenge!

Bye for now and switching back to the first person....

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 11:14 AM

Thank you Lee for an absorbing summary of  the match ! wow, talk about a real tense struggle, great stuffs gents !

Congrats to AvatarLee for a fighting win and also to Badaboom for great play and showed his tenacity all the way to the end.  Thanks BB for playing in the tournament (even though you eliminated the host ! lol) and I hope you enjoyed your games, hope to see you again in my next tourney.

• badaboom
    238 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:56 PM

Well its time to put the starter clubs back in storage for awhile! It was great to finally play avatar and for awhile it was a good game but the better golfer definetly won out! Great tourney coolswing and any time you have another tourney let me know!

• Serj
    57 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 8:36 PM

Yeah, Coolswing this has been a great tourney man. This was a great idea and has been well ran and went at a good pace. Great match summaries from everyone too. Now, Zippy-P you just gotta keep rolling and get the win so I can say I lost to the champ. Haha.

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 2:42 AM

Friday 4th of September

QUARTER-FINAL MATCHES -  We have 1 game completed so far with 3 remaining and a possibility that 1 of those matches will end in a forfeit due to the player being on vacation until next Tuesday.  Looking forward to the match summary for these games as I predicted it will be real close and might have a few surprises for us.

KNOCKOUT PHASE SCHEDULE

PRO TOURNAMENT -  We have 1 player through to the Final already and is waiting for the result of the 2nd Semi-Final.  This looks like a cracking game between 2 good players who are fairly even but completely different in style, anything could happen here !

KNOCKOUT PHASE SCHEDULE - PRO

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 2:17 PM

I would just like to say what a fantastic sportsman Bigjeff65 realy is.After a major meter stutter on B/P 13,resulting in a 150yd tee shot costing me a bogie,he offered me a par on that hole,i didn't accept because these things happen to every one on here.A true gentleman...,he's the reason why i love this game because of guys like him.Well done Jeff and good luck in the final.

Coolswing...

Thanx for putting on a wonderfull tournament.Thouroughly enjoyed it, and met some great people along the way would love to take part in your next one....

Thanx COBRA4

• BigJeff65
    45 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 2:27 PM

Thank you Cobra4 for such kind words.Just stinks when something like that happens because it is really out of your control if the game lag's, but you didn't give up and really gave me a heck of a match and I look forward to many more good games with you.

Thanks Coolswing for this great well run tournament!!!

BigJeff65-34-37-71

Cobra4-35-38-73

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 3:57 PM

Hi All

This game was really all over after the first 9 holes, I had my putting head on and Craig didnt over the first nine. Birdies for me on 5-8 really ended the contest and made it difficult for Craig. He came back and played the back 9 well but it was too much of a gap to bridge and meant I was pretty relaxed playing the back 9.

The reason I like playing these tournament is for meeting people like Craig who I probably wouldnt play with otherwise, hes a very nice guy and I hope we play again soon.

TallAcePaul 31-35

Craiger85 38-33

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 9:20 PM

A word of warning to all those left in the tourney......A Blonde Moment....

RSS