Forums

Help › Forums

THE STARTERS INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT

Thu, Sep 10 2009 9:15 PM (201 replies)
  • Zippy-Pivot
    257 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:02 PM

Serj vs. Zippy-Pivot

Sunny day at Kiawah. Winds moderate! Crowds startin to gather!! You could smell the thistle in the air! A great day for WGT!! Both players start out tentative with easy pars. Serj smokes a drive on # 2 down the middle (Rang the Bell). Zippy a bit of to the right! Serj ends up with a birdie, and Zippy misses a tapin for bogey. Serj leading by 2 after 2!!  Zippy's putter becomes a little bent!!

Kiawah  - Serj 34   Zippy 36

Lear jet off to Bethpage Black back nine!! Zippy-Pivot in trouble down by 2 strokes!! Serj experiences the wrath of Bethpage with a +4 after 3 holes. Zippy even par. No change untill the 15th, where Serj decides its time to take some chances and goes for the green on his second shot (short in rough). Zippy lays up!! Zippys chip a bit heavy, leaves a downhill putt 10' slight curl.....misses....gets bogey. Serj Makes a great chip and sinks his tuff putt for par. Three holes to go Zippy leading by 1 stroke!! Hole 16, Serj sinks a 20 footer for birdie!! Zippy's glasses falling off his nose from the sweat that appears!! Zippys 14 ft putt......................falls for bird!! THE CROWD ROARS!! Off to 17.........Serj bogeys and Zippy pars. Zippy up by 2!!  Zippy-Pivot rings the bell on his drive on 18 but somehow lands in the rough.......Rightside!! Serj hammers his Starter driver, and you could hear the head collapse from the impact............down the middle! Zippy-Pivot in 30-40 rough adds two clubs, backspin, hammers it, just shy of the green and it kicks right into............more rough!! Serj sends his second shot left of the pin about 14 '. Zippys third shot, past the pin and two putts!! Serj needs the putt to send the game into sudden death!!  TO BE CONTINUED...........................

• Zippy-Pivot
    257 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:12 PM

Serj vs. Zippy-Pivot

Kiawah / Bethpage

Serj 34-39=73

Zippy-Pivot 36-36=72

Thanks for the game Serj. Was down to the last shot.........could have gone either way! Zippy!!

• craiger85
    47 Posts
    Wed, Sep 2 2009 12:58 AM

I'm not sure if I posted my scores in the right spot, so may as well post them here too

Craiger85:     34-31 65

Flocke2308:  37-36 73

A combination of a great start for me (birdie 1&2, par 3&4) and a not so great start for Flocke (par 1&2, bogey 3&4) really set the tone for this round. Over the next five holes, we only managed one recorded score that wasn't a par; Flocke got one back on 6 with an approach to ~6 feet. We left Kiawah separated by three strokes.

Unfortunately for Flocke, the 3 shot cushion was as small as the lead would get for the rest of the round. A very lucky bounce on 10 out of the greenside rough and up to the green within 6 feet increased the lead back to 4. A birdie for me on 13 increased the lead to five, and after both players birdied the par 3 14th, flocke hit another bogey string on 15 and 16, pushing the lead to 6. A final birdie for me on 18 pushed the lead to 7. It was definitely a fun round, and there were a few almost hole-outs.

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Wed, Sep 2 2009 2:41 AM

Wednesday 2nd of September

KNOCKOUT PHASE -  Result of games completed since Monday:

Zippy-Pivot  d  Serj  72-73

Craiger85  d  Flocke2308  65-73

Congrats to Zippy-Pivot and Craiger85 on their very good win and thanks also for your very colourful match summary.  Thanks to Serj and Flocke2308 for providing some great matches and I hope you both enjoyed your time here.

That's all matches in the first round completed with exception of the match between TallAcePaul and JTexpress who have been granted an extension to be finished by Friday.  We will now move on a head and play the Quarter-final with the draw as follow:

nivlac  vs  DanManCan              TallAcePaul/JTexpress  vs  Craiger85      

Zant  vs  Zippy-Pivot                   AvatarLee  vs  Badaboom

This draw is also available for browsing on the 1st page of this link   KNOCKOUT PHASE SCHEDULES

The Format of play is the same as in the 1st round of the knockout phase, ie.  Front 9 Kiawah and Back 9 Bethpage.  Remember the player that are listed first in the matches above will do the invite at the start of the game.

GAMES DEADLINE  -   Midnite Friday 4th of September, with the exception of the Craiger85 game which will have an extra day to be completed.  There are some great match up here and should provide some very close results so good luck gents and play your best !

The Pro Tournament -  Here are the remaning games result:

Jiggs445  d  Lilmike24  66-67

DivotDave  d  DarkoPancev  70-71

That's complete the Quarter-Final round with some very close and exciting games and Congrats to Jiggs445 and Divotdave for their very good win and thanks for your interesting match summary.  Thanks to Lilmike24 and DarkoPancev for playing in the tournament and provided some real cliff hanger games, bad luck gents and I hope you both had a good time in the tournament.

Moving on to the Semi-Final and the draw is as follow:

DivotDave  vs  Jiggs445

BigJeff65  vs  Cobra4

This draw is also available for browsing on the 1st page of this link   KNOCKOUT PHASE SCHEDULES - PRO

Again as in the Master tournament, the format will be the same as in the Quarter-Finals.  The players listed first above will do the invite to start the match.

GAMES DEADLINE  -   Midnite Friday 4th of September.  The match up here is looking great, should be real close here so best of luck to all the players.

• lilmike24
    185 Posts
    Wed, Sep 2 2009 3:08 AM

Great tournie coolswing. I had a great time. tks for making it.

• DarkoPancev
    23 Posts
    Wed, Sep 2 2009 7:44 AM

Compliments for excellent organisation Coolswing, awesome tournament. Was my pleasure to participate in it. Thanks!

Go ahead Dave, blast them all ;-pp

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Wed, Sep 2 2009 3:34 PM

Hi Guys

Managed to get the game played earlier than anticipated.

Its just taken us close to 2.5 hours to complete the 2 sets of 9. On both 9's we had to restart after 3 holes and so it was incredibiliy disjointed and no one got any rythum. I think we were both just pleased to finish it in the end!

tallacepaul 34-35

jtxpress 37-39

Mind you it did mean I got to see 4 of Jeffs beautiful avatars in one session of golf. That kept the spirits up.

Thanks for the game Jeff and it will be nice to play again for fun.

Paul

• Jiggs445
    27 Posts
    Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:36 PM

Jiggs445 34 - 38 - 72

defeats

DivotDave 37 - 36 - 73

Enjoyed the match with Dave and would love to post an exciting summary, but I think Dave would agree this match was a grind.  A lot of decent approach shots and neither of us could get the putter going tonight.  A whole lot of 8 inch tap ins for Par. 

Difference Maker - I took a 3 stroke lead onto the back 9 only to find myself deep in the left side woods off 12, after putzing around in the deep stuff for a few shots I found myself laying 4 in the rough, still 153 yards from the pin.  I muscled up and blasted a 3H to the back of the green, from there I sank a 21 ft putt for double bogey, that 21 footer turned out to be the difference...

Thanks again Dave, see you around.

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:42 AM

Congrats to TallAcePaul for a very good win.  Thanks to JTexpress for being in the tournament, sounds like he didn't have much luck there with the disconnection problem and that must have affected his game a lot as I know he's a very good player.  Also Thank very much to you both for completing your game earlier than expected.

That now mean TallAcePaul and Craiger85 can start to contact each other and arrange to play your game.  If you both could finish the same time as the other Quarter-Finals that would be great as we could then go on and start the Semi-finals on Saturday.

On the Pro tournament side congrats to Jiggs445 for a great win in a very tight match.  Thanks to DivotDave for playing in the tournament, you certainly put up a great fight to the end so well done and hope to see you again in my next tourney.

• flocke2308
    161 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:49 AM

I enjoyed it a lot to play in the Starter Tourney. Had some great matches and a lot of fun and wish all the best for the next matches to all

RSS