Forums

Help › Forums

THE STARTERS INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT

Thu, Sep 10 2009 9:15 PM (201 replies)
  • DivotDave
    147 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 5:44 PM

In response to Fatersons post.  Yeah, I might have missed the time to check for a match.  I was working at the time but was checking and missed him.  Could of squeezed in our round (slow day).  The time difference did make it somewhat difficult,  my apologies to Faterson.

Dave. 

• Serj
    57 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 6:49 PM

Ballsdeep2 has conceded the back 9 to me.  I was up 36-40 after the front and he posted on my wall that he would forfeit the back 9.

• Zippy-Pivot
    257 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 1:35 AM

"Every Dog Has Its Day"..............Just finished playing Coolswing in one of the most exciting games I've ever been in. Pressure from the get go!! After the first two holes of Bethpage Black, our game froze. Coolswing +1 .........Zippy-Pivot -1. We restarted and replayed the first two holes to the exact score. I tried like the dickens to repeat the one bird and lucked out again. Coolswing the gentlemen he is had no problem holding back to give me back, the 2 stroke lead, after two. In a flash before I knew what happened, Coolswing charged with clubs on fire and tied the game.........gotta learn to have the Tiger Kill Instinct. Not everyday that ya get a lead on one of the best in the game!! Fortunately for me the putts continued to fall.

Zippy-Pivot 34.......Coolswing 36.

Back Nine...........Kiawah. First hole Coolswing even.....Zippy-Pivot -1. Game freezes. Again we restart, and again Coolswing plays for the par (like the gentlemen he is). By the way his second shot was a dart and landed within 2 ft of the pin. He purposely 2 putted to match the original par. Helluva sportsmen!! The game was a blast........Barney Rubble clubs,thistle, black magic sand, pygmies running thru the bush, and a pile of awards created a night of laughter!!

Zippy-Pivot 31..........Coolswing 34            Three words.............."Cool tournament Swing"

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:16 AM

DivotDave:
    In response to Fatersons post.  Yeah, I might have missed the time to check for a match.  I was working at the time but was checking and missed him.  Could of squeezed in our round (slow day).  The time difference did make it somewhat difficult,  my apologies to Faterson.

I'm OK with that, but it will be up to Coolswing now to figure out what to do with the unplayed games.

Coolswing, is yesterday's deadline of August 25 an absolute must? If not, we could still play the remaining 2 group games later today or tonight. Scott13570 wrote me a PM, too, apologizing for technical difficulties that prevented him from being online last night.

These 2 games might be important for the outcome of our group. Should I win them both (either on the course or "technically"), there would be 3 players with 6 points each (2 wins & 1 loss each). Direct matchups wouldn't resolve anything either: each of the 3 players would have 1 win & 1 loss. Potentially, you couldn't use the total score as a tiebreaker, either, if any of the games is conceded or decided "administratively" without playing.

I don't envy Coolswing the task to referee this kind of situations fairly. Mark Holliday has the same headaches over at the League Tables site. (I'm sorry to have become a protagonist of these tiebreaker controversies for both Coolswing & Mark.)

PS: The green dot is a total nuisance. Please use PMs / Wall posts to get in touch with me, because I had to decline lots of invitations last night as I was waiting for my 2 tournament partners, from other folks who saw the green dot & kept inviting me to join their rounds. The green dot is currently next to useless. I notice any PM / Wall post right away, because I notice the incoming email right away. I might not notice an invitation if the WGT browser happens to be minimized, for example. Does anyone know if there is a time-out for the green dot? Or can you ignore/minimize your WGT browser window & the green dot would still shine forever?   

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:26 AM

If you got your games in on time, instead of waiting until the last day to play 2 matches,then the organiser shouldn't have to make any decision's should he.?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:29 AM

Yeah, but I had loads of work on the previous days, including the weekend...

And what is "on time", really... If there are 7 days to play a game, day 7 is (at least theoretically) as good a day for playing as any other day.  

But to be honest, the tight deadline for this tourney caught me a bit off-guard. (I probably wouldn't have enrolled if I had known about the tight deadline. If it was stated somewhere in the initial post, I must have missed it.)

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:58 AM

Wednesday 26th of August

GROUP GAMES TIME EXTENSION -  I've decided to extend the deadline for the completion of the group games until this Friday 28th of August due to a few problems that have surfaced recently.  This time extension is applicable to all Players in Group B, E & F as well as for the Pro section of the tournament.  So please this is your last chance to complete all your games before we move on to the knockout phase and I would appreciate some urgency from all the Players.

The following Players have made it to the next phase:

• nivlac                       Jtexpress
    • Kaslo                       Flocke2308
    • Tallacepaul            Bolloxinbruges
    • Zippy-Pivot             Coolswing

Pro Tournament -

• Bigjeff65                 Scoresby              Lilmike24

I'd like to asked the above Players to be patient and just wait a few more days before we can start the knockout phase of the tournament.  I apologised for the delay and hope that I've not caused any inconvenience to anyone.  Thanks very much for your understanding.

• Zippy-Pivot
    257 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:37 AM

Oh ya! One very important factor  I neglected to mention above! Coolswing encountered some major lag which sucked his ball into the deepest of bunkers, on holes where you need your drive to be a dart!! I 'd like to thank the little Jamaican momma for her help in making this happen. We will meet again soon Cool........................lol Zippy!!

• Serj
    57 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 7:00 PM

Serj (36, 34) - 70

Ballsdeep2 (40, 31) - 71

It got very entertaining the back 9. Ballsdeep had a 28 foot birdie putt on 18 to tie it up and missed it just by inches turning left of the hole at the last second. It was a great back 9.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:25 PM

Thank you for extending the deadline, Coolswing. The crowds watching the game between me & DivotDave were grateful to you for the immense drama this offered them. In order to preserve the chance for the play-offs, I (a Pro player) had to beat DivotDave (a Master). With 2 holes left to go, I was leading DivotDave by 1, close to the biggest upset of my career, but it was not to happen: the game ended in a draw. Congratulations to DivotDave & Cobra4 on advancing to the play-offs!  

2 crucial moments of the game:

• On hole 13, Faterson makes a birdie & takes the lead. On the very next par-3 hole 14, DivotDave sinks a 17-ft putt for a birdie & equalizes the game.
    • Yet again on hole 16, Faterson makes another birdie & regains lead in the match. On the very next par-3 hole 17, DivotDave sinks another (this time sub-10-ft) putt for another birdie to equalize the match for good. Those 2 birdies on the last two par-3 holes secured the play-offs for DivotDave.  

RSS