Forums

Help › Forums

DOUBLESAWBUCK

Sun, May 1 2016 2:04 AM (78 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 3:14 PM

Ain't it Palin's daughter who was getting paid big bucks to preach abstinence, and kept getting knocked up?

and why would anyone get paid to give speeches for that?...

ps..at least there are two different fathers to blame..oi vey

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 3:15 PM

Doc, flew over my head like a trapeze act...I was scratching my head, wondering if SP really believed Trump started with $20...joke's on me for sure!

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 3:31 PM

We who are old enough should remember, Goldwater lost by a huge margin!  my nickle.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 3:32 PM

mkg335:

Doc, flew over my head like a trapeze act...I was scratching my head, wondering if SP really believed Trump started with $20...joke's on me for sure!

Actually, in an interview, Trump said his father afforded him a "small" loan of $1million. A fortune to most people, but given the prices of real estate in Manhattan, I doubt a mill goes very far..even in the 80's.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 3:49 PM

Colin, the loan was before the inheritance (obvious, I know) then the inheritance gave him his big boost...and I believe his father helped him out on more than one occasion...nothing wrong with that, but Trump has a tendency to play fast and loose with the facts.  Of course, that's the modus operandi of his fellow politicians, too.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 4:07 PM

In fact, and this is from his bestseller,"The Art of the Deal", to quote "My father had done very well for himself, but he didn't believe in giving his children huge trust funds. When I graduated from college, I had a net worth of perhaps $200,000, and most of it was tied up in buildings in Brooklyn and Queens."

There is no other mention of inheriting or being given any other money from his Dad anywhere in the book.

~ Lily ~ 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 5:41 PM

SweetiePie:

In fact, and this is from his bestseller,"The Art of the Deal", to quote "My father had done very well for himself, but he didn't believe in giving his children huge trust funds. When I graduated from college, I had a net worth of perhaps $200,000, and most of it was tied up in buildings in Brooklyn and Queens."

There is no other mention of inheriting or being given any other money from his Dad anywhere in the book.

~ Lily ~ 

How do people even have a "net worth" after graduating college?  Hell, I attended on a full military scholarship and was still uber broke when I graduated...lol

Trump had money tied up in NYC real estate?...took me 3 yrs to save up for a used car...oi vey

ps. Not sure about his books, but it was an interview where he stated that his father loaned him $1m...which he apparently paid back with interest. In fact, I think it came up early in his presidential run.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2016 9:05 PM

Lily, what he says in his book notwithstanding, he inherited somewhere between $40 million and $200 million.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 29 2016 8:38 AM

mkg335:

Lily, what he says in his book notwithstanding, he inherited somewhere between $40 million and $200 million.

Believe me, he does not say that anywhere in "The Art of the Deal" you my be speaking of "The Art of the Comeback" in his first book his father lives all the way through the book. Perhaps he dies during the 2nd book. Some quotes and page numbers would be nice. I'm learning not to trust "gossip" and "scuttlebutt" in these times. Words of many mouths, mostly liberal, far left, far out pundits doesn't cut it with me.

~ Lily ~ 

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Apr 29 2016 8:53 AM

"Liberal, far left, far out..."

I could go into a long, involved explanation as to how Lee Atwater, Karl Rove, and Fox News have managed to poison the well of political discourse by re-defining terms and moving the center so far to the right that it's beyond ridiculous, but suffice to say the well is definitely poisoned.

The fact is, Trump inherited $40 million to $200 million upon his father's death.  As I said, whatever he's written in any of his books has little bearing on the truth of the matter.

His story is in no way one of rags-to-riches.  In fact, his father bailed him out of trouble more than once, his inheritance provided a great influx of cash, and even at that, he managed to bankrupt several businesses.

There's really nothing to admire in the guy, but it's a free country, so knock yourself out.  Just don't be surprised when he gets his butt handed to him in the general election.

RSS