Forums

Help › Forums

DOUBLESAWBUCK

Sun, May 1 2016 2:04 AM (78 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 3:21 PM

YankeeJim:
    There's a rabid mob following a political pied piper here in this country, perfect example of what exploiting that personal thought does. Let the heart dictate the action.

Jim, at this point I must assume you're referring to Hilary. While full knowing "political" discussions are taboo in the forums, I will only say this. It has been my unfortunate personal experience, that my own government has sold my future to unscrupulous corporate interests via all the "Free Trade" agreements that were supposed to "help grow our economy" . While in actuality, they devastated the manufacturing base that made our country great. There's another one on the table, the current administration is pushing.

I have no love for politicians, even though our country has the best ones money can buy. For over thirty years Washington has systematically done everything possible to impede my chances of ever being able to retire, much less achieve anything resembling the "American Dream". Every day is a battle, when at 60 years of age, things should be in place to pass this business of mine on to the next generation ( I'm 2nd generation myself ) . Instead, I've made a point of telling my three son's to find work elsewhere. Given these circumstances, I, and I'm sure a great many others, are prepared to tell Washington, "We've had enough!"

In our view, a vote for anyone but Trump, is a vote for politics as usual, then God save us.

Doc :(

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 3:26 PM

Banana 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 4:33 PM

drmoose:
    Jim, at this point I must assume you're referring to Hilary

You assumed wrong. In fact, I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 4:57 PM

SweetiePie:

I imagine an impact on the black Americans, already hysterical with behavior that is stunning with predictable outcome. So we make a $20 bill that is a constant reminder that their heritage is slavery, and that their women are superior, I should think they would be insulted by seeing  this every time they are lucky enough to gain $20. What is positive about any of this to satisfy the ego of black Americans. I don't get it.

~ SP ~  

What an extraordinarily and stereotypically strange and convoluted take on the situation.  Lily, how long has Sarah Palin been using your account?

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 5:31 PM

Never let it be said I shy away from issues. From my understanding, and feel free to educate me, your system of checks and balances often prevents anyone from getting much done...regardless of who is President. He or she has very limited powers and has to get most everything approved by Congress. Speaker Ryan couldn't even get his own budget passed with a Republican Congress he oversees?. Cruz single handedly shut down the entire government. Obama can't even get a hearing on his SCOTUS pick, let alone approval for appointment.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President can order an attack, but he can't declare a war(?) without Congressional approval, because wars cost money and Congress holds the purse strings. The President can sign executive orders, but they are often temporary. He can also veto bills, but this leads to more grid lock.

To wit: of the remaining candidates, Sanders has no chance, nor does Kasich. Both houses despise Clinton, Trump and Cruz., so I don't see a lot getting done for at least another 2 years, when the house and senate are on the ballots again.

But, the US is the only world superpower...You have 4 times more CSG's than the rest of the world combined. You have enough nukes to obliterate the planet many times over, and your economy remains the world financial engine.The greenback is the default currency of choice.

...as an aside, the Province I live in, Ontario..has the largest debt of any sub-federal government in the entire world. Our manufacturing is gone, As a country, our natural resources have tanked (although oil is making a bit of a comeback), and we recently elected a federal liberal majority, so our deficit tripled in less than a year...oi vey

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 5:43 PM

Indirect democracy (or representative democracy or republic, the terms are interchangeable) is far from perfect, but it's the best anyone's come up with for governing a nation of substantial size so far, especially considering the fact that we're half a chromosome away from chimpanzees.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 6:08 PM

mkg335:

Indirect democracy (or representative democracy or republic, the terms are interchangeable) is far from perfect, but it's the best anyone's come up with for governing a nation of substantial size so far, especially considering the fact that we're half a chromosome away from chimpanzees.

Mark, fully agreed. Additionally, I think it's a shame that politics can't be discussed (as long as it remains adult and reasonable). I personally enjoy the change in topic from the norm. Taxes and ineffective governments are two things we all have in common...lol

ct

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 6:18 PM

Colin, we do indeed have those things in common...bungling is no respecter of party or political persuasion.

;-)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 6:23 PM

YankeeJim:

drmoose:
    Jim, at this point I must assume you're referring to Hilary

You assumed wrong. In fact, I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant.

I thought you meant Bernie Sanders.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 6:39 PM

Bernie is fading fast in the rear view mirror; meanwhile, the leading Republican candidate is on the verge of winning the nomination on the first ballot, thus triggering the implosion of the GOP.  It'll be interesting to see if anything emerges from the ashes.

RSS