Help › Forums

am i a "master" forever???

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 29 2009 9:25 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • sleezyd
    15 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:19 PM

i recently shot a -5 on the front 9 of bethpage which dropped my avg from a 69 pro to 66 master. i sucked from the blue tees and my avg immediately went back up to 69-70, but i'm still in the "master" tier and have been now for two weeks. will i be labeled a "master" forever???

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:25 PM

• sleezyd
    15 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:39 PM

boo! there are so many things WGT needs to change/update! this is def one of them. if my tier was PRO when i had an avg of 69, why is it different now??? because i shot ONE good round??? lame! your tier should reflect your avg, as your avg is the only way of knowing your skill level. create an average range for each tier and your tier will reflect your avg. that makes much more sense!

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2009 9:34 AM

A player's tier is determined by an average of scores

• sleezyd
    15 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2009 9:46 AM

So a player's tier is not a direct reflection of the player's avg? They are calculated differently? This doesn't make any sense either.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2009 10:22 AM

You said yourself that your average was down to 66.  When it drops below 68.xx you're automatically promoted to the master tier.  Your average is going to go back up after that because you're playing on a harder course.

By bringing your average down to 66 on Pro tees, you proved that you are capable of playing with the big boys.  It's not one good round, it's a compilation of your best 10 out of your last 14.  You were playing well enough for a long enough stint to be promoted.

There is no switching back to the Pro tier once you're a Master.  This prevents Master tier players from falsifying their averages by posting large numbers just so they can compete in the "easier" tier's tournaments.  That's the true definition of sandbagging.

• sleezyd
    15 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2009 10:39 AM

Thanks for the explanation, I understand the situation a bit better.

But, with your explanation and my current situation, we can see how the ranking/tier system has failed. My actual skill level is not at the master level. My avg has fluctuated anywhere from 68 - 72 for the last four weeks and I've stayed at Pro. Good, that's where I belong. All of a sudden, I shot an amazing -5 and I immediately get switched to Master. Well obviously, my avg rises back to 69-70 but my skill level is still Master. Here is the error: for those who don't sandbag, or even play in tournies, they're getting put into a bracket they don't belong. I know I know, there's no way to differentiate between who's sandbaggin' and who has a real avg, but that's the problem right there. If I continue to shoot an avg between 68-72 over time, WGT should lower my tier back to Pro, regardless of the loopholes of sandbaggin. Just because my avg dropped below 68 because of ONE amazing round, and it was amazing, that shouldn't drop me permanently in a different bracket.

Now if I shot below 68 for 14 games, then hell, lower my tier. But, as it is, I am a lil chihuahua playing with the big dogs.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2009 10:47 AM

Well the good bit of news is that there is still another tier to be released and a lot of us will be out of your hair.  Nobody knows when or how, but all the best in the Master division will eventually be shipped off to the Legend tier.

So, if you can wait it out for a little longer you'll kinda end up back in the same situation of being 1 tier down.  And who knows, that little chihuahua might hit a growth spurt and become a big 'ol nasty pit bull one day, so don't give up!  ;-)

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2009 9:23 AM

nivlac:
    When it drops below 68.xx you're automatically promoted to the master tier.

i was like 67.86 after a good round.  then it went back up after my next round.  so do you have to maintain a below 68 for 10/14 rounds?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2009 10:24 AM

Hey TSK.. once you cross the threshhold, that's it.. you're a Master...

You can be a Master with 100+ rating if you really play horribly after you move up.

• PAGES
RSS