Help › Forums

MASTERS

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 5 2009 2:25 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SandyMcMandy
    24 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 1:20 AM

the Masters division is going to be huge with the way the international is set this month!  Welcome all! :)

Sandy

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 1:54 AM

Something went wrong.  

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:30 AM

<Cynical POV>

Not wrong, Faterson, brilliantly played. 

• FACT: Once tiered higher you can never go back.
    • FACT: MASTER tourneys and competitions are played from the hardest tees.
    • FACT: Starter and Starter Tour sets can not compete from the Master tees in tourneys
    • FACT: To be competetive in said tourneys, new Masters will HAVE to buy new equipment.

So, now you have amatuers, and even some hacks, with starter sets and tour starter sets playing from the red tees at Bethpage.... after months of getting their collective asses handed to them by the distances... first unrealistically in the qualifier (see any of the 2billion 'distance whines' on these forums).. to the current tier-related tees... to an absolute joke.  People are going to want to kick this golf-courses ass to race to the 50s.  It's brilliant.

With all the new Masters, WGT is going to make a killing in new club sales.  And, since they have opened it to unlimited, everybody is going to get the chance to shoot in the 50s so everybody from every country will need new clubs come next open tourney time.

Sorry for the Machievellian outlook, but I'm feeling cynical today.

• Zambrotta
    21 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:48 AM

I see what you are saying Snaike, but I really only believe the sales will rise in relation to Ping and Taylormade Drivers.  To play from the master tees, those clubs are essential.  However, if the rest of your bag is tour starters, you should be fine.

Zambrotta

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:49 AM

Snaike

If only it were that easy....I think the more likely scenario is that WGT will have scores of new multiple account users

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 9:23 AM

Snaike:
    Sorry for the Machievellian outlook, but I'm feeling cynical today.

No problem, I'll take Machiavelli over boilerplate any day.  

However, you are probably giving WGT too much credit for thoughtful, advance planning. My theory is that they intended the August International tournament to be a throwaway tournament to "appease all the whiners on this site" all at once. "Let's kill several birds with one stone," so to say. Do all these foreigners keep whining they can enter almost no tournaments? OK, let's make this tourney unlimited play. Do folks keep whining in the forums that the default clubs' distances are ridiculously low? OK, let's give them a tournament from ladies' tees. Do folks, in general, complain that this game is so much harder to play than Tiger Woods Online? OK, let's eliminate wind.

The consideration that we'll now probably end up with a legion of pseudo-Masters (I, a full-blooded Amateur if there ever was one, am threatened by the same fate, currently stationed at the 67.98 mark & still Pro)... well, that consideration may have slipped under the table.

Another theory for why WGT made the August International tourney so easy is that, by changing playing conditions so drastically, they practically gave us "a whole new golf course" to play with. This may have been intended as compensation to appease those whiners who keep demanding for new stroke play courses to be added to the site, instead of just skill challenges. It looks to me like there may be no new stroke play courses at WGT.com for the remainder of 2009, so playing Bethpage from ladies' tees may be regarded as "a new course" instead. I mean, being able to overshoot the left-side bunker at hole 9 with your drive totally changes the play on that hole, doesn't it? It's similar on the other holes, too.

If this was intended to bring more variety to the play, I'd favour, instead of moving up the tees and eliminating wind, the changing of pin positions between rounds. That would markedly increase the attractiveness of both Kiawah and Bethpage for all players, and we wouldn't need new stroke play courses so badly. (I hear, though, that changing pin locations is difficult to implement from the software point of view.)  

It's only day 5 of the new month and the leaderboard of that August All Ladies tournament is already absurd, with a score of 4 under par not even guaranteeing you a place on the leaderboard among the top 250 players. A strange decision by WGT, that's for sure.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 9:49 AM

Not so strange, Faterson. Unlike you I believe everything done by WGT is profit driven, and not solely to support/develop the "game".

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:21 AM

Crusty56:
    Unlike you I believe everything done by WGT is profit driven

You must have been misinformed about my beliefs. "Being profit-driven" is thought to be synonymous with "the American way" by many people, and everyone knows that.  

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:44 AM

If I was misinformed it was by this statement, of yours:

"However, you are probably giving WGT too much credit for thoughtful, advance planning. My theory is that they intended the August International tournament to be a throwaway tournament to "appease all the whiners on this site" all at once."

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 11:07 AM

Appease in the name of profit – there's no contradiction!    Everyone, including the whiners, is a potential customer.

• PAGES
RSS