Forums

Help › Forums

2 problems

Mon, Feb 21 2011 10:42 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:07 AM

Not sure whether to post in this section or Bug Log, but figured I'd get more help here so here goes.

Problem 1
    Since Andyson's National WGT Enquirer post at the beginning-ish of Feb 2011 I seem to be struggling to see images that have been posted.  Sometimes I don't get to see them until about 2-3 days later.  Not 100% certain if I then see them all the time after that or whether they disappear again - there is some ambiguity here.

I don't have problems with seeing my own images immediately, nor some other's images.  So, I've come to the conclusion that anyone using ImageShack (like I do) are fine and are displayed immediately.  But if images are displayed using TinyPic then it's hit or miss (usually miss) as to whether I see them or not.  This is the case both in this main forum and the CC forum.  I don't know whether some of you use other image hosting sites or whether they are a problem are not?

Like I said, the problem only became apparent in early Feb; if it was there before that it was definitely not apparent as I didn't notice any images 'missing' from posts.  In my CC the other day someone put in a post which seemed ordinary enough.  But when someone else later said 'Good card' I figured I was once again missing something.  Now I'm not one for regularly clearing cookies or browser cache, but it's never been a problem before.  Anyway, I wondered if this was the problem and so cleared them both and lo an behold the image in that particular post came up.  So I immediately added to that thread that I could now see the image, but when I went back into the thread I couldn't see it any more.  So, I'm not convinced clearing the cache or cookies really had any effect and it was just a coincidence the image was displayed.

In Andyson's thread "Be on the lookout for..." I figured there was an image in the opening post, but again I couldn't see it.  So when I posted this and asked if it was in Tinypic, Andyson posted it again using ImageShack and that image displayed immediately.  But then as soon as I saw that one I also saw the original image in the opening post.  Just checked that thread now; I can see the ImageShack image but not the one in the opening post.  I thought this was where the ambiguity lay as mentioned above as up to this point I thought I have been able to see both images, so I guess no ambiguity any more.

Another thought just occured to me.  Is it because the images are large in size (people not resizing them to something smaller before uploading them to an image host) and therefore they are taking a long time to display.  Doesn't explain the above scenario with Andyson's 2 images unless he resized the 2nd one before uploading it.

Anyone else having this problem.  I find it hard to believe I'm the only one.  And I'm pretty certain it has nothing to do with my computer, it's spec (it's pretty new and decent spec) or my ISP.  Just did a broadband speed check and it is no worse than I've ever had before (in fact, probably the best I've ever seen):

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:24 AM

Problem 2
    Our old favourite - the stuttering meter!  I don't normally have meter problems; once in a blue moon I get a slight stutter, usually at the beginning of the meter movement, so I just let it run and 2nd time it is as smooth as silk.  On the very odd occasion it is near to where I want to click, yes, it makes me miss and play a really bad shot, but these occurances are few and far between, so I just treat them as a shank in real golf terms.

Last night however, this was not so.  I was playing a Wk8 Stroke Play comp (single player) and about 3 or 4 holes before the end the meter started stuttering 2 or 3 times every first hit.  After a few goes I let it go and the 2nd hit was smooth so I was able to continue that way, but it was very strange why it started happening all of a sudden.  A short while later I played an Alt Shot game with some friends (at least I think they're my friends!) and feared the worst... but there was not one single meter glitch.

Whilst I was having the meter problem I checked my friend activity list; it was not changing at all.  In fact it was changing a lot more during the Alt Shot game and didn't have any effect on the meter.  So, I'm not convinced it's the friends activity that may be a cause as I've been reading about lately.  Maybe I should have done a broadband speed test at the time to see what was happening there... but I never thought to at the time!

Again, I don't clear cache - flash or browser - nor do I delete cookies, but as I don't see the meter problems everyone else is talking about I'm pretty certain that is not it either... for me at least.  I have only ever cleared flash cache once some weeks ago on someone's advice but I saw absolutely no difference.  I'm also changing equipment all the time and again everything works as it should without clearing flash cache.

So, I was just wondering, was anyone else getting meter problems last nght (Monday 14th evening, UK time, don't know exactly what time but possibly late afternoon US ET)?  I know when we were about to start the Alt Shot game one of the players said there had been problems, so I was wondering whether everyone was affected?

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:25 AM

i couldnt get a game in to save my life yesterday

and you be my witness

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:46 AM

Mio,

On Prob #1, do you have the same problem on a different browser?

My other thought is you might have an internet blockage somewhere between you and tinypic servers.  One way to check is run tracert tinypic.com using the command line facility when you cannot view a pic trom tinypic. 

Here's two pics to make it easier for you: One hosted by tinypic on the left and one by imageshack on the right.

..............^^ TINYPIC....................^^  IMAGESHACK

On Prob #2.  I didn't have any  meter problems  yesterday afternoon in the U.S.

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 9:39 AM

I hear ya GS, and yes, you sure were having problems.  Hope they're sorted.

Andy - I've always used Firefox and as far as I know I never had problems until the start of this month.  I will try IE to see if that is any different, but I don't have any other browser downloaded.  I will also run the tracert command to see what it comes up with.

With regards to the images you've posted, I can see the ImageShack frog... above the Tinypic heading, and nothing above Imageshack.  But in time, the Tinypic image will insert itself.

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 9:54 AM

From IE I would see in the status bar that it was trying to download a Tinypic image, but then after about a minute it failed and a little square with a red cross was displayed in its place (you know the thing I mean, when it can't get the image).

I'll try the tracert now, but if you don't hear from me again you've know why.

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:06 AM

Here's the route trace results:

Takes a fair few hops, but gets there in the end.

As a comparison, I did one on ImageShack too, looked pretty similar timewise with as many hops. Only difference is... ImageShack works!

• NickN85
    193 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:11 AM

when i run a traceroute on tinypic.. i get one timeout..

you got 2...

..just shows you that tinypic sucks lol. Stick to imageshack

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 1:40 AM

NickN85:

when i run a traceroute on tinypic.. i get one timeout..

you got 2...

..just shows you that tinypic sucks lol. Stick to imageshack

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO AWAY!

• NickN85
    193 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 5:37 AM

nahhhhh... i know how much you love me from all your personal attacks..

So I think I'll stick around a bit.. maybe even invite you to be my friend *hugs*

(insert sarcasm here)

• PAGES
RSS