Help › Forums

We need a better product!!!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 4 2009 11:42 PM (25 replies)
  • HAWK64
    14 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 5:01 PM

One more thing:

Deviations in no way help the average Master, Pro...whatever move up the leaderboards.  Overall, I see the game being dominated by the same old familiar names.  So, to counter that theory, I will acutally support the original argument  used by the more skilled players.  That argument basically stated that the rest of us need to practice more and get better...no handicaps, no deviations.  And by the way, a deviation is not even of assistance becasue it only makes it more difficult for the average player,  whereas a better player should be able to save his/her round due to better skill/knowledge of the game. 

So, please, take away the deviations, give me a real chance to improve....I don't want what you seem to believe are "handouts" to make this a more fair game...it's actually making my chances worse!!!!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 5:28 PM

The realistic scoring numbers are the reason I was drawn to WGT in the first place, so I definitely care about the scores.  I was quite sick of shooting 43's on Tiger where birdie is the new par.  I would care very much if Augusta denies WGT's request to add their course because they don't want people shooting 53 on it and making a mockery of it.  59 is a sacred number in golf and WGT is the only game that still treats it like so.

It's very likely that players do get different amounts of deviations from round to round.  However, the thing to keep in mind is that many mishits are corrected by deviations, so in the long run (not just over 1 round or even 10 rounds) it tends to work itself out.  I've been around long enough to collect my fair share of round destroying deviations (see my 76 in Week 29), but I've also managed to conquer the deviations enough to win a load of tournaments and collect quite a few prizes along the way.

In real golf, the best player in the world only wins a handful of tournaments a year.  Tiger cannot go out and shoot a 61 every time.  Take away the deviations and tibbets will do exactly that.  Without deviations, the best player in the world here would win about 85%-90% of the tournaments.  Again, not what your sponsors want to see when you're trying to pull money out of them.  Not what I want to see as a customer that was drawn in by the claim of "most realistic golf game ever."

I don't want arcade golf.  If you want an arcade style golf game then play some Tiger Online, Shot Online or any of the other fine golf games out there and fire 48's and 53's from the championship tees 'til your heart is content.  If you want the most accurate (albeit still unfinished) simulation that best parallels what actually happens on a real golf course from day to day, then stick with WGT and watch it develop like the rest of us.

*edit* I just read your newest post and I do understand your side of this.  I'm stuck in the camp of it's a lesser of two evils.  If the better players get deviation-heavy rounds, then it leaves room for those average players to step up and win when they a get round that isn't so heavy on the deviations.  Agree to disagree?

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 5:46 PM

@ nivlac,

Great last post nivlac. Agree 100%

I'm only a Pro but if you check my stats out they're incredibly consistent ( not exactly exciting ) - even with the deviations, so - leave as is I say.

Love the game.

Cheers Doug

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 6:46 PM

NIVLAC IS 100% on this. everyone deals with the same conditions, some deal with it better than others.Like i said in earlier posts, everyone cannot be the same deal with it.u have winners and losers, that's life.u wanna be the best then beat em. enough said!!!!!!

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 7:29 PM

I want to see the Pony!

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 8:20 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see Augusta here? Wtf would I want to support crusty old men?? I just checked its membership and there maybe 10 people under 50 and most of them are Jr. to their fathers being a member...

They must be the HQ for Geriatrics International. And they do not allow women, which is UTTER BS, imo. I do not care if they are private club or not, they simply being idiots and any person who are members of it, just by being there, justify their policies.

$20 says that if this club was above mason dixie line or out west, there wouldn't ever be a chance in hell of Augusta national golf club banning an entire gender!

Yes, if you think I am generalying againts southerns, I do. There are many other ridiculous, bornderline idiotic laws that exist there and nowhere else, but I digress...

• HAWK64
    14 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 9:31 AM

I realize it's beta and it's developing.  I don't understand why some say deviations are a  "Beast" and others say it's a plan by WGT; some Masters are for it, some Masters hate it or have spoken out against it (should I use their names...Tibbets.  Tibbets even spoke against this problem.

But my MAJOR point is this:  It's  a developing game where they want to charge me money to enter their tournaments and basically FORCE me to purchase products (how else can I compete?). Say what you want, to me this is unfair due to the deviations. Even though a deviation may help me in some situations, it may hurt me just at the moment I could have won a big tournament.  So, in my opinion, the clubs should then be free and so should all the tournaments.   Oh, for crying out loud, charge me less for a driver.  Or make all clubs cheaper.  How about 50 cents a club...period.  Would that make them rich enough?   Is this run by greed?  Are we being taken advantage of?  I hope not, but I think we are.  One of my main points is: If everyone would stop purchasing and complain about the prices, they would have to lower them or make clubs free.  The people who play here have the power to control the money issue, but no one wants to do it.   

I am not going to pay money for a tournament only to lose by one stroke due to a deviation, regardless of whether I am a hack or  the best player here!!!! 

• mhansen2
    24 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 2:22 PM

Hawk ....why do you bother playing?  If it bugs you that much, go somewhere else and play...geeeez

• mhansen2
    24 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 2:25 PM

Iconian.....I don't gice a darn who the members are. This is a GAME. I would love to play augusta in this GAME. Please don't hit me with your political opinions. Let me have fun.....relax

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 2:27 PM

Hawk.... Go play cartoon golf.  You will be happier for it.  Play any TW franchise game and you will be able to stack your shots one on top of the other... shoot your 53... and strut around the house like you are Old Tom Morris and you invented the game.

Deviations are here.. they are the norm.  EVERYBODY plays with them.  

@Iconian ....  You have to be able to separate that course from the inbreds who control it.  Think of it this way, those old 'toofless' wonders will be gone in 10-15 years and then maybe Augusta will have a chance to join the civilized world.

@mhansen2 ....  Back off.  Iconian has every right to display an opinion.  You can disagree all you want, but don't accuse them of attacking you, specifically, with anything.  If you don't like it, either ignore it or post a rebuttal.

RSS