Forums

Help › Forums

The Party Hole

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 7 2016 5:03 PM (4 replies)
  • dandycap
    1,808 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2016 6:31 PM

The par 3 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale is the home for Waste Managements' Phoenix Open.   It's also the wildest hole in golf.    Quiet signs mean nothing.    A few years ago Tiger Woods holed out and the crowd went wild.    The following years, the players would throw hats and t-shirts to the fans.    The caddys would race from tee to green.    Some of this has been banned but hasn't dampened any of the spirit.    You can catch a lot of the action today on NBC at 3pm (ET,USA).    At the end of the tournament the Super Bowl begins.

Tiger hits a HIO

The par 3, 16th hole, today

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2016 7:04 PM

I live in Phoenix and have been to the tournament many, many times.  We were walking to our car the day Tiger got his HIO  and the roar was amazing, and we were about a mile away at the time.

But the 16th has calmed down, became more civilized, since they put up all the corporate boxes.  It was really wild with all Arizona State students surrounding the hole.

202,000 attended the tournment today.  That's just ridiculous!  (The old record was like 187,000)

• dandycap
    1,808 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2016 6:51 AM

I'm up here near Boston Andy and didn't know they had that many people out in the desert.   lol      The crowd they get today will be more than twice as many as there will be at the super bowl.   Maybe you should tape your windows in case someone gets a HIO.   The sound should be a shock wave.   --  just dandy

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2016 7:56 AM

dandycap:
    I'm up here near Boston Andy and didn't know they had that many people out in the desert.   lol      The crowd they get today will be more than twice as many as there will be at the super bowl.  

Yeah, well there ain't much to entertain us out here in the desert other than scorpions and rattlesnakes so stay in Boston!  At least ya all got traffic and snow to keep ya busy.

Supposed to be 80 °F today so for excitement I'm gonna go outside and wait for the blimp to fly over the house!  (I know our annual Blimp Watch is not as exciting as your Winter Storm Watches though, I see you got one for Monday.)

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2016 5:03 PM

Saturday,  new attendance record at tpc scottsdale, 201.003 fans and more than 600000 for the  whole tournament

Amazing

Many congrats to Hideki Matsuyama defeating Rickie Fowler on the fourth hole playoff

RSS