Forums

Help › Forums

Remove flag stick and put it back in

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 23 2020 5:08 AM (21 replies)
  • PokerBike
    52 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2016 7:46 AM

I'm sure this has been ask before, I searched for it and could not find the subject.  If the subject has been asked and answered I apologize in advance.

I've watched 2 of the best players on the WGT play on youtube. I'm curious as to why they remove the flag stick before hitting the ball and once the ball is in the air, they put the flag stick back in?

Anyone with the reason why?

Thanks, Lin

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2016 8:29 AM

The outcome of the shot is determined the instant you hit the ball.

So if before hitting the ball - you removed the flagstick - that is how the outcome is determined. ball cannot hit flagstick.

If you did not - then the ball may hit the flagstick. Most of the top players agree that hitting the flagstick gives you more bad outcomes than good - so removing the flagstick if you think you are going to get close is the best option.

The only problem is after removing the flagstick - you can't easily see where the hole is - so you are almost blind to how close the ball is going to the hole, which is nice to see.

As explained above - as the outcome is already determined - putting the flagstick back in after playing the shot - cannot possibly influence the outcome. We know that the ball cannot possibly hit the flag (as it really wasn't there when the outcome was calculated). So you are able to replace the flag in order to see where the hole is during the flight of the ball - without there being any risk that the ball will bounce off the flagstick and away off the green.

This is why you see the flag removed - then the stroke taken - then the flag replaced.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2016 9:22 AM

Heh, never thought it was as simple as giving you something to see while the shot's on its way. Thanks for that, hakman.  :-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2016 10:04 AM

YankeeJim:

Heh, never thought it was as simple as giving you something to see while the shot's on its way. Thanks for that, hakman.  :-)

I seem to recall a similar explanation to why Fmags does it during one of his recorded rounds.   To help viewers see the hole location while the shot is taking place.  

I'm almost too lazy to pull it in the first place let alone replace it after the shot is in motion.  LOL

I will do it though on shots that I think the carry distance is quite close to the distance to the pin.  Wouldn't want to hit the pin on a par 4 driveable green you know.  ;-)

• PokerBike
    52 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2016 10:26 AM

hakman123:

The outcome of the shot is determined the instant you hit the ball.

So if before hitting the ball - you removed the flagstick - that is how the outcome is determined. ball cannot hit flagstick.

If you did not - then the ball may hit the flagstick. Most of the top players agree that hitting the flagstick gives you more bad outcomes than good - so removing the flagstick if you think you are going to get close is the best option.

The only problem is after removing the flagstick - you can't easily see where the hole is - so you are almost blind to how close the ball is going to the hole, which is nice to see.

As explained above - as the outcome is already determined - putting the flagstick back in after playing the shot - cannot possibly influence the outcome. We know that the ball cannot possibly hit the flag (as it really wasn't there when the outcome was calculated). So you are able to replace the flag in order to see where the hole is during the flight of the ball - without there being any risk that the ball will bounce off the flagstick and away off the green.

This is why you see the flag removed - then the stroke taken - then the flag replaced.

That's very interesting hakman. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Though I am not that good where I have to worry about hitting the flag stick on every approach shot.  But, the times I have hit the flag stick, it has never been a good outcome.

Thank you for answering my question.

• ANDREAP
    1,642 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 12:49 AM

hakman123:

well done ..was wondering me too what they did that .. i usually remove when ball was in fly ..and that is what i got home lol ..a record which Fmags cant have imao :))

• vadernader
    62 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2016 2:33 PM
  • Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2016 4:09 PM

Never watch the Magicians hands.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2016 11:12 AM

The videos that everyone has been waiting for. Yancy gets to the truth, as is so often the case:

Yancy asks the hard questions...

...Professor Magnets is brow-beaten into answering.

RSS