Forums

Help › Forums

Ball Durability

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 8 2021 12:46 PM (34 replies)
  • racoondad
    322 Posts
    Tue, Feb 8 2011 3:54 PM

[Edit] I'm keeping an up-to-date list in my blog.

Ball Type -- Durability -- Hits -- 9-hole Round per $*

WGT GI-S Ball -- 2-dot -- 120 hits -- 35 Rd/$

WGT GI3-D Ball -- 1.5-dot -- 110 hits -- 16.7 Rd/$  (reported by andyson)

WGT Tour GI-SD Ball -- 1-dot -- 90 hits -- 11.5 Rd/$

WGT Legend GI2-SD2 Ball -- 1.5-dot -- 95 hits -- 8.8 Rd/$  (confirmed by andyson)

Callaway Tour i(s) Ball -- 2.5-dot -- 120 hits -- 6.9 Rd/$

Callaway Tour i(z) Ball -- 2.5-dot -- 120 hits -- 5.7 Rd/$

* This is the number of 9-hole rounds you can play with every dollar (or 100 credits) you spend on the type of balls. It is calculated based on 21 hits per 9-hole round (par 36 and 67% green-in-regulation) and ball color with the lowest price.

• OkieX
    175 Posts
    Tue, Feb 8 2011 4:07 PM

The dots mean whatever WGT wants them too.

Now go get your wallet.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 8:56 AM

I primarily have been using the Legend GI2-SD2  and GI3-D BALLS and confirm the Legend GI2-SD2 gives 95 hits.

I'll add:

WGT GI3-D - 1.5-dot durability --  110 hits

Looking at racoondad's info above and adding cost information:

WGT GI3-D - 1.5-dot durability --  110 hits -- 31.33 cr/ball -- .28 cr/hit

WGT Tour GI-SD Ball (LT BLU) -- 1-dot durability -- 90 hits -- 37.33 cr/ball -- .41 cr/hit

WGT Legend GI2-SD2 Ball -- 1.5-dot durability -- 95 hits -- 51.67 cr/ball -- .54 cr/hit

WGT GI-S Ball (WHT) -- 2-dot durability -- 120 hits -- 16.33 cr/ball -- .14 cr/hit

Callaway Tour i(s) Ball -- 2.5-dot durability -- 120 hits -- 83.33 cr/ball -- .69 cr/hit

Figuring 9 holes, par 36, 100% GIR = 18 hits (as putts on green don't count as a hit.)

NUMBER OF 9 HOLE ROUNDS PER BALL AND COST PER 9 HOLE ROUND

WGT GI3-D -                      6.1 rnds -- 5.1 cr/9 holes

WGT Tour GI-SD Ball  --      5.0 rnds -- 7.5 cr/9 holes

WGT Legend GI2-SD2 Ball -- 5.3 rnds -- 9.8 cr/9 holes

WGT GI-S Ball (WHT) --        6.7 rnds -- 2.5 cr/9 holes

Callaway Tour i(s) Ball --       6.7 rnds --12.5 cr/9 holes

The $2.50 per 3pack of Callaways are 5 times more expensive than the lowly GI-S, 2.5 times more expensive than the GI3-D balls I now use, and 28% more expensive than the Legend GI2-SD2 balls I also use.

Seeing as how I'm not good enough to win many credits in the free tournaments, not allowed to enter RGs or MPCs because of my state of residence, the only way for me to get credits is surveys (which I hardly ever qualify for), offers which tempt me to create a need for stuff, and my wallet.

I might try a pack of Callaways just to see what all the fuss is about, but I doubt they are in my future plans.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 9:26 AM

Andyson, that is a great post. Thank you for the research, I salute you, sir.

Interesting sidenote, I just tried to gift you a sleeve of Calloway Legend iz balls and I am only allowed to buy them, not gift them?

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 9:48 AM

Andyson, you are a true gent. All that hard work shared with the WGT community. I could have done as much myself, were I not such a lazy, bone idled individual. I am going to commend you for a Nobel prize or such likes for your services to golf. Top man.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 10:08 AM

StrangeMagic:

Interesting sidenote, I just tried to gift you a sleeve of Calloway Legend iz balls and I am only allowed to buy them, not gift them?

I'm gonna start compiling a list of WGT Quirks.  That'll be one of them as the L33 Callaway's are giftable

tiffer67:
    Andyson, you are a true gent. All that hard work shared with the WGT community. I could have done as much myself, were I not such a lazy, bone idled individual. I am going to commend you for a Nobel prize or such likes for your services to golf. Top man.

Now tiff, your posts are always thoughtful and insightful so I know you're not lazy and bone idled!   (I've already won a No Bell prize for missing the ding.)

Thanks to both SM and tiffer67 for the kind words.

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 10:22 AM

Great work, Andyson. Thanks. I'll include the information you found in the original post.

I'd like to encourage others to report how many hits you get from different type of balls. It's actually fairly easy to do if you play a lot of ranked stroke rounds. On the scorecard page, click on the STATS tab, then check PUTTING, subtract the total putts from your current score, there's the number of hits. You can do this in the middle of a round, too, in case the ball is switched out, by simply click on Menu to bring out the scorecard.

I'm not trying to judge whether a ball is worth the price. What I do have problem with is wgt misleads players into thinking Callaway balls have better "ball economy" than GI-SD balls.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 10:26 AM

andyson:

(I've already won a No Bell prize for missing the ding.)

LOL Andyson.......they must give that award out in their thousands.......

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 12:31 PM

So this heads the best buy lists. Nice to know. Thanks. I generally just play with the cheapish Tour S balls.

WGT GI-S Ball (WHT) --        6.7 rnds -- 2.5 cr/9 holes

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 2:43 PM

Nicely done Andy...you sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.  Quick note, I did not see the G12-D ball on the list and wanted to bring it to attention.  If the G13-D is one of the better, bargains, those of you may want to try the G12-D.  It is roughly 30 credits cheaper, and has the same durability and distance, if you can handle the 1/2 dot difference in feel.  For durability and performance purposes it should make it a slightly better buy than the G13-D.

Once again, a quality effort Andy,

-Long

RSS