Forums

Help › Forums

How to Insert Quotations, Links and Smilies Into Forum Posts; Coloring, Decreasing & Enlarging Your Fonts

Sat, Oct 10 2009 4:45 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2009 6:02 AM

This post relates to these discussion forums rather than the game itself. The advice (except for the quotations section) can also be used for writing your Blog Posts or messages on The Walls of other users.

In response to a question received on the wall, here are brief instructions on how to insert quoted passages, links, pictures and smilies into your WGT forums posts, and how to color your fonts.

As of July 2009, there are still quite a few bugs in the forum software (for examples, see here, here and here). WGT forum's Compose editor by itself is quite nice, because it's WYSIWYG (= What You See Is What You Get, similar to MS Word). At the same time, it offers advanced users the option to click the  button and edit the raw source code of their posts, if they wish to do so.

Nevertheless, if you want to quote another user's words, insert a smiley or color your font, this is currently (July 2009) only possible by using rather cumbersome workarounds, described below. If you don't feel discouraged by that, read on.

Inserting Quotations 

If you want to quote what another poster said before you, due to the bug described here you can only do so manually before publishing your post. So, to quote someone, you need to copy & paste (CTRL+C, then CTRL+V) the other person's words into the text of your reply, and then surround that passage by the following:

[quote user="username"]quoted text[/quote]

The result looks like this:

username:
    quoted text

For double quotations, use the following format:

[quote user="Bonnie"][quote user="Clyde"]How are you, Bonnie?
    [/quote]
    Thanks, Clyde, I'm fine.[/quote]

Bonnie:
    Clyde:
    How are you, Bonnie?
    Thanks, Clyde, I'm fine.

Inserting Links

First, highlight the words you wrote that you want to make clickable. After they are highlighted, press this button on the toolbar: . The Insert/Edit Link mini-window will pop up for you:

Enter the address to which you want to send the readers of your post in the Link URL field, then press the Insert button. Done.

Inserting Smilies or Pictures in Forum Posts

• You need to locate on your computer or on the Internet the picture you want to insert into your post. You may then simply try highlighting the picture (for example, a smiley) with your mouse, and directly copy it to your WGT forum edit window via CTRL+C and CTRL+V. If, however, what you'd like to insert is the picture of your scorecard, you first need to make a screenshot of your scorecard. (Press the PrtSc key on your keyboard; open a program such as Paint; insert, via CTRL+V, the screenshot you've just made; cut away the unnecessary parts of the screenshot; and save the screenshot on your computer via CTRL+S.)
    • Then, as you write your WGT forum post, press the green Insert Media button   on the toolbar. The Insert Media mini-window will pop up for you: Locate the picture you want to insert into your post on your computer after pressing the Browse... button.* Or, if it's a picture on the Internet that you want to insert into your post, paste (via CTRL+V) that picture's (that smiley's) Internet address in the Media URL field. Finally, press the Insert button. Done.

A categorized collection of smilies is available, for example, here: smile.vdp.sk. Just highlight any smiley with your mouse, and directly copy it to your WGT forum edit window via CTRL+C and CTRL+V. If that doesn't work, you may right-click with your mouse the smiley you want to insert into your forum post, and get the smiley's Internet address. (In Firefox, it's the Copy Image Location menu item. In Opera, it's the Copy Image Address menu item. In Internet Explorer, you first need to click on Properties, then get the address from the Address (URL) field.) Once you have the smiley's Internet address, you can insert it, via CTRL+V, in the Media URL field in the mini-window pictured above.

* It currently (July 2009) appears the Browse... button inside WGT's Insert Media window is broken. After you press it, nothing happens. So, you can upload your picture (such as your scorecard) to the Internet, and link it from there. You can publish any picture online by going to (for example) imageshack.us, pressing the  button, locating the picture on your computer, and pressing the  button. The ImageShack software will generate the picture's Internet address for you in the Hotlink for forums (1) field, surrounded by the [IMG] and [/IMG] tags. Another similar online service is at tinypic.com.

Coloring Your Fonts

You first need to click the  button on the toolbar of your Compose window. Then find the words that you want to color in a certain way, and surround them with the following HTML tags:

<font color="purple">text to appear in purple color</font>

text to appear in purple color

Instead of the word purple, you can insert any other standard color name recognized in HTML. See here for a list of 120 nice, standard HTML colors. (Once you click the Update button in the HTML Source Editor window, the forum software will automatically convert the tags and color names entered by you, into CSS tags and numeric color values, but you can just ignore that; it's the way it should be.)

Decreasing / Enlarging Your Font

You first need to click the  button on the toolbar of your Compose window. Then find the words that you want to appear in a smaller font, and surround them with (for example) the following HTML tags:

<small>text to appear in a small font</small>

text to appear in a small font

If you want something to appear in a bigger font, you may use these tags:

<big>text to appear in a bigger font</big>

text to appear in a bigger font

If you want something to appear in a very big font, you may use multiple tags like these:

<big><big><big>text to appear in a very big font</big></big></big>

text to appear in a very big font

Another related tutorial: How to Post Your Scorecard, in Seven Steps.

If anything is unclear in these instructions, please let me know on my Wall or here in the forum, and I will update the above wording accordingly.

(Updated on 5 August 2009 to include instructions on double quotations. Updated again on 29 August 2009 to include instructions on how to decrease/enlarge fonts in forum posts. Updated again on 20 September 2009 to include the direct-copy method for inserting pictures, especially smilies, into forum posts.)

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2009 8:07 AM

Great post F, thanks a ton!

Warren

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 2:36 PM

Another related tutorial:

How to Post Your Scorecard, in Seven Steps

• MyNadsItch
    119 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 11:27 AM

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 12:04 PM

YourNadsItch:
    [View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/

See here for a couple of examples of successfully inserted scorecards.

• sealseal
    67 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 1:42 PM

Thanks a lot!

• TW1432
    130 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 5:44 PM

Nice tutorial Faterson!!! It's really usefull!!!  Exellent link mentioned by Faterson

TW1432:
    NICE!!!

'Nice!!

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 6:00 PM

Ty faterson

• casique1
    370 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 10:35 AM

howdy fat,

thx a lot for all this,,, help me a lot :-)

but i have a problem,, i can t create links, i do as u post here, but when the window apears there is nothing in it (see pic)  can u help me here please ?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 13 2009 10:49 AM

Yes, Casique1, that's a bug that sometimes happens. The solution usually is just to re-start your browser.

(I don't use Firefox, but have seen this thing happen in Chrome, too, if the browser had been open a long time previously. As to the Opera browser, it's been completely unusable in these forums since the last site update of August 13th. )

• PAGES
RSS