Forums

Help › Forums

are wind variables the same?

Mon, Aug 29 2022 5:50 PM (32 replies)
  • krskfr
    458 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 9:29 AM

Just curious if someone from the wgt community knows if wind direction and strength is the same for all players in each ready go tournament or is it a random variable?

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 9:32 AM

They are not the same for each player direction wise, but the range (light/moderate/heavy) will be the same.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 9:57 AM

That makes sense lol, just played a ready go tourny at St George, and almost all the wind direction was 30 mph head on, thus i had trouble shooting a good score, however i checked the leaderboard, and some chaps shot like a 56; which i found very surprising (i guess they had more tail wind i would presume). To me that's a bit unfair of wgt to not make all the wind universal for each player.

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 10:21 AM

Actually even the pin positions could be different..

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 10:29 AM

razza31:

I didn't know that, seems a bit unfair. 

IRL the pro's can encounter different winds depending on their tee off conditions at the time but they all play the same pins.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 10:59 AM

razza31:

Don't think so.

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 3:55 PM

fmagnets:

razza31:

Don't think so.

I remember Corwyn saying that for one of the TIO events that Shoe told him that setting easy,medium or hard as pin position doesn't necessarily mean same pin positions . Instead it can vary depending on the wind you might get on that hole.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 5:12 PM

razza31:
    I remember Corwyn saying that for one of the TIO events that Shoe told him that setting easy,medium or hard as pin position doesn't necessarily mean same pin positions

I think there is a mis-communication somewhere in the chain.

Yes - easy,medium, hard does not lock in a specific pin position. The various pin positions are coded by WGT as easy or hard, and the pin position is a random "coin-toss" for each hole, where the chances of getting the hard position are greater if you select "hard", less if you select "easy", and somewhere in the middle if you select "medium".

But once the random variables have been determined, and the pin positions have been set, then they will be the same for all players who play the tournament.

The wind strength will be the same range for all players - but the directions will be randomized. Yes this can make it unfair as head-wind vs tail wind can virtually mean a stroke difference on some holes. The alternative is to fix wind directions - and WGT think this will cause more problems with players knowing what they will face before playing.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 5:25 PM

hakman123:
    The alternative is to fix wind directions - and WGT think this will cause more problems with players knowing what they will face before playing.

Yup. I could play it taking notes on wind for each hole then pass them on to a third party.

If they won they could pay me in balls or whatever.

Tag team RG's, lol.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2015 6:37 PM

I dont care what anyone thinks, but wind direction and strength should be the same for all in a ready go tourny... Just makes it fair. Not trying to complain, but rather make the case. Cheers all. Your friend and mine, K.

RSS