Forums

Help › Forums

More Durability On High Priced Balls

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 13 2020 9:51 AM (23 replies)
  • rlbruce
    17 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2015 7:46 PM

Hi guys, I realize that WGT has operating costs but I noticed the durability is not higher than 2.5 on any of the balls.  Would it be possible and a little more reasonable to bump up the durability on the more expensive balls?  Thanks!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2015 8:09 PM

rlbruce:

Hi guys, I realize that WGT has operating costs but I noticed the durability is not higher than 2.5 on any of the balls.  Would it be possible and a little more reasonable to bump up the durability on the more expensive balls?  Thanks!

I know what you are saying, but it is the same as asking for the price to be lowered. Sadly that will not happen.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2015 9:03 PM

I think the best you'll get is a more durable ball at a higher price. It will still work out to the same price per hit and you'll feel even worse if you hit one OB or in the water.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2015 9:08 PM

Try the Volviks.

• ct690911
    7,194 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2015 4:35 AM

courteneyfish:

Try the Volviks.

?...odd post Courteney. Volviks also have max 2.5 durability and are even pricier than a Calloway with similar specs, because you're paying for brighter colors...The OP made no mention of this as a feature worth paying extra for.

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2015 5:01 AM

Long time ago some members test the ball's durability.

Ball durability... - World Golf Tour

Alls balls with 2.5 dots have 120 hits of life, that seems the most. Under 2.5 dots it is not clear that depends on the goodwill of WGT.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2015 10:51 PM

rlbruce:

How durable do you think a real, quality golf ball is?

Real golf balls lose compression from repeatedly being hit, and they lose compression as they age.

How many holes do pro players play a ball before a ball gets set aside and replaced with a new ball?

Back when I played amateur tournament golf and maintained a handicap, I only played a ball for 6 holes - if I didn't lose the ball, hit the ball OB such that recovering the ball was impractical, or in the water. In other words, a sleeve of 3 balls per 18 holes. FWIW - the lowest my handicap got was -2.2. Lots of pro players would have + handicaps.

Since putts don't diminish the durability of balls we play here on WGT, each 2.5 durability ball lasts me about 54 holes of WGT play @ my stroke average.

So to me I'm getting 9x more play per WGT 2.5 durability ball than I did in real life using real golf balls. By the way. Back then I played Titleist Pro balls

• rlbruce
    17 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2015 2:06 AM

Wow!  Thanks for that illuminating, yet somewhat self-flattering, reply Apex but I believe you kinda missed the point.

We watch ad after ad that helps pay for the site.  All I was saying was that I don't think it's too much to ask to get a little more life from the more expensive balls.

I apologize to you for that and I promise when I go pro I won't complain about my balls.  At least not my golf balls! :)

• ct690911
    7,194 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2015 3:59 AM

I often complain about "ball compression" issues to da missus...but that's probably TMI.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2015 9:09 AM

Apex - Compression is no longer as large of a factor as it used to be with the changes in technology and construction materials used in modern golf balls. Both the Titleist R&D team and Srixon have addressed the ball durability publicly; a Srixon website goes as far to say 

"...Golf balls can last for hundreds of driver impacts. Despite fears that golf balls may expire on the shelf or get water logged in the hazard, their lifetime is determined mainly by our ability to keep it in play..."

http://www.srixon.co.uk/golf-balls/golf-ball-technology/golf-ball-durability/

I'll see if I can find a link to the Q&A session with the Titleist team for you.

I'm fine with the durability here since I don't put any money into the game and I don't even bother with videos and surveys any more. If they were really trying to mimic real life golf balls, though, durability would be greater. I think the reason it's where it's at is a compromise between real life and the financial welfare of the company.

RSS