Forums

Help › Forums

Quote Button / Preview Post / Options Not Available While Composing Forum Replies

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 27 2009 1:05 PM (5 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 4:57 AM

As mentioned in a parallel thread, there is a rather severe bug concerning the Compose window in these discussion forums. When you press the Reply link in an existing forum post, the Compose window opens, but it lacks the Quote button, so you can't really quote the post you are replying to without laborious and user-unfriendly workarounds. Also, you can't preview your post at all – the corresponding tab of the Compose window user interface is missing. The other options are missing as well: the tabs titled Options and Related, and the Email me replies to this post check-box.

To access all these features, you need to post/publish your message, however imperfect, then re-open it via the Edit link.

I am posting this bug in this new thread because it is unrelated to the email notifications bug discussed in the parallel thread, and because it is more serious, making this discussion forum's user interface rather user-unfriendly compared to glitch-free message boards.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 12:08 PM

Let's see... forum notifications... thread replies... quote...  emails.... oh, freaking please.

When you look at the total number of accounts on this site, or even the number of actual accounts that play the golf game, you will see that the number of people who regularly use these forums, will be IMHO less than 5% of the population.  And that is being generous.

Now, this may sound strange coming from me;  someone who admittedly spends way, WAY too much time with the forums (easier to read than play golf while otherwise occupied with stupid little annoyances like earning a living)... but the forum chnages should be FAR FAR FAR down the list of things to do... like, I don't know, even further than which caterer should WGT hire for their 10th anniversary party.

Please don't waste the valuable programming time needed to make ANY changes to these (obviously flawed) forums, until the game is as close to 100% as humanly possible.

(BTW, WGT, I know of a really great Italian Place on Fillmore that caters... some of the best N'Figghiulata that you've ever had!!)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 12:25 PM

Bugs such as the one described in this thread reflect unfavourably on the image of a software provider. This site is part of WGT's image, and WGT might want to fix these things, although not at the expense of fixing the game, of course. (Luckily, they can put aside Snaike's rants when deciding what to do.)

My guess is the programmers responsible for gameplay aren't the same as those reponsible for how this discussion forum and email notifications operate. The dilemma concerning "programming resources available" referred to by Snaike might be fictitious. WGTalex can set us straight.  

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 12:50 PM

Faterson:
    Bugs such as the one described in this thread reflect unfavourably on the image of a software provider. This site is part of WGT's image, and WGT might want to fix these things, although not at the expense of fixing the game, of course. (Luckily, they can put aside Snaike's rants when deciding what to do.)
    Luckily, WGT can set aside Faterson's rants when deciding what to do next.

Please don't make me search  for the EXHAUSTIVE threads penned by the author above, in color-coded, smilie-inserted, paginated, quoted, paragraphed wall of text explaining just how bugged, bad, inoperable these forums have become.  And how he can't get an email to his answers of someone elses responses to someone else's questions about someone else's thread.  Oh please.

Then let's talk about 'rants', shall we?

It's just not that important.  I would think that since the majority of the players on this site dont' give two hoots and a holler about these forums, that the valuable programming time should be better spent elsewhere.

And, I really couldn't care less what the 'forum author' had in mind when he created this program.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 12:56 PM

This subforum is titled Bug Log, so I'm submitting bug reports here. You're submitting rants. If you're not interested in seeing these particular issues resolved, Snaike, just ignore these threads. Can't be that difficult. And again, it's unlikely the same programmers work on gameplay & the forums/emails, so fixing forums/emails shouldn't have a bad effect on the development of the golf game.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2009 1:05 PM

We will look into whether or not it is easy to enable the quote feature in replies. And yes, this would be a pretty low priority. Thanks for the suggestion.

RSS