Help › Forums

Unlimited play tourneys

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 21 2009 8:24 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:10 PM

Hey guys, I thought I would give my thoughts on these sort of tourneys both pay and free sort. It's some crying and moaning, but I think some of it needs to be said.

I'm not going to wonder why these exist, think I have some good guesses but right now they're here so I'll skip any discussion of why. The frustration value I personally have with these is thru the roof in some weeks. On the bad days, I'm not a very nice girl to be around. And alot of times I won't even play in the multi for that specific reason. While you guys may be thinking this gets me or whoever to play more, I can tell from my perspective that this will drive me away from the game eventually. There's going to be a week that I'm just be fed up with it and be done.

I've won my good share from these sort of tourneys and I appreciate eveything I have gotten from the site. But these tourneys really need to go. They do more harm than good and are inherently unfair, JMO.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:21 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just curious as to why you think they are inherently unfair.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:40 PM

I kinda sorta agree. These tourneys have their advantages and disadvantages. Tournament play is all about who can put together a good set of rounds without having multiple attempts at doing so. Imagine if the pros had basically unlimited mulligans. Tournaments should be based on who can play well under pressure. Unlimited play opens the door for more luck than skill. I'm not the most seasoned player on this game like the other guys who posted above me, but this I know is only my opinion and will do nothing in the long wrong; simply just my chance to give my two cents worth. A idea that I have saw discussed a few times before that I agree with is replacing unlimited play tourneys with multiple rounds tourneys...... 2, 3, or 4 round tourneys i think would be more interesting/fun. This way tournaments on here have more of the tour feeling.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 7:13 PM

I hear ya and I think ideally I agree, however being extremely inconsistent, only way i can earn good credits in monthly paid, is by having many tries.

I have an ability to shoot 60, but for some it'sm a consistent round but for me it's 1 outta 50 round.

Hence why I am happy that they are there. I think think there should be 1 monthly unlimited like there is, but many more entry; not such not only monthly, but also weekly.

Yes, there is also a space for 4 round tourneys, like to run over weekend, once a week:)

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 7:52 PM

I personally like the unlimited plays......What if you are having a bad meter day and your only one score has to count??  That sucks for the person playing, because they know they can do better, but you only have one shot.  Look at the WGT U.S. Open, everyone had one shot and most had bad days, compared to their unlimited plays.  On the other hand, I do like the single plays also, because if you have a good day and score a low round, and other people have a bad day, then you do well in that tourney, so it is a catch 22.  If you are a consistent good player, then it shouldn't matter one way or another, unlike me....lol...but you have to take into account the laggy meters one day and not the other, power outages, kids, family, etc.....There are a ton of factors that come into play with this game for most people.  So in my opinion, I like WGT the way it is, but I am a very inconsistent player, so it works for me.  :)

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 8:01 PM

What I mean by inherently unfair is everyone doesn't have the same X amount of tries. Your typical working person during the week probably isn't going to play it as much as someone that has more time on the hands. For me that's just a minor gripe. Maybe it's because after a certain number of tries I feel like I can catch up to anyone. But I know everyone isn't like that.

My more pressing issue is the frustration factor. I can get close to or at the top spot at the end of some weeks, but if I'm pulling my hair out in that process, I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm not feeling like anything with this is "earned." It's more of play a certain amount of times and the good score will come eventually.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2009 8:26 PM

I hear you there.  It's an unfortunate, but inevitable, side effect of the "lottery golf" element of the game.

The unlimited thing harkens back to the Charity Challenge days, when that's all the game was:  Play over and over, with your best score being recorded.  They had Daily, Weekly, and All-time stats recorded.  I know a few players who like that element of the game,  challenging themselves to play over and over again to top their best score. 

I think if we had more selections of types of tournaments, like 4 rounders, included into the mix, it would give everyone a little bit of something they liked.

• gmurf
    22 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 3:43 AM

Yea I dont think they should remove unlimited tournaments at all, but just add in more singles and multi round tournaments, theres no reason why they cant have a load of different tournaments on every week/month of every kind, well no reason I can really think of!

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 4:21 AM

When it gets to the point where the top 6 scores are all at the 'theoretical' minimum for a course (BPB Front 9 = 29) it really does become somewhat of a waste of time, and more so like 'lottery' golf where the only way that you can win is by getting an eagle (or the equivalent of one for certain holes 5, 7 and 9)

I think it's a good idea for a maximum # of attempts at these instead of unlimited otherwise you will be guaranteed of seeing the same names at the top week in and week out with the odd "round of a lifetime" popping in there.  And what's the reward for that "round of a lifetime"?  Third or fourth place because it didn't get recorded early enough.

Just my thoughts,

Lee

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 7:52 AM

You certainly would see a wider array of winners up there on a single play 18 round. However the truely skilled will still be up there somewhere.  I think they built up the WGT US Open so much it was a lot more pressure than a normal single play tourney here and maybe thats why everyones scores were all over the board! Again not everyone has that much time to play & I don't think I could even get in a 4 round tourney in a weekend unless I highly neglected everything else I needed to do and some of us might get some flack for that at home =O  I really need to work on my patience with the 18 hole rounds as it is. Someone please tell me to slow down and concentrate!  =D

• PAGES
RSS