Forums

Help › Forums

Tier Saturation Changes

Fri, Oct 9 2020 6:38 PM (38 replies)
  • EricJeter
    361 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2015 9:37 AM

By now it's pretty common knowledge to anyone that has played here longer than a month what the requirements are to advance in tiers.  50 games as Tour Master with an average of 61 or below to move to Legend, 500 as Legend with a <60 average etc etc etc...

I noticed just now after shooting a rather dismal 30 in a RG tournament that my average went down by .08 to 59.65.  Now I only have 214 rounds as a Tour Legend (205 if you subtract par 3 and par 5 courses), so it seems to me that the standards have been lowered for all the top tiers.  I'm merely speculating but since TL is no longer the "Top Tier" that 500 rounds is no longer the standard.  I'm guessing now that only 100 rounds are needed for saturation to move from L to TL (Up from 50 to move from TM -> L) and seemingly 200 rounds to move from TL to Champion.  Beyond that is anybody's guess but I'm assuming that TC is now the 500 round standard while the bar was lowered for every other tier.  

Not too sure how I feel about this, I can think of both pros AND cons of lowering the standards.  Now there will be much more girly tee superstars among the top ranks but those people are just taking up space anyways so it's not like they make any difference in the competition.  I just wanted to be the first person to notice it and point it out.  Thank you.

• EricJeter
    361 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2015 9:52 AM

I made a quick edit to the chart everybody has already seen in the past to what I THINK is the new standards....

WGT – Tiers

• When you have played at least 5 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 100 you go from Hack to Amateur.
    • When you have played at least 10  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 80 you go from Amateur to Pro.
    • When you have played at least 20 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 72 you go from Pro to Tour Pro
    • When you have played at least 30 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 67 you go from Tour Pro to Master
    • When you have played at least 40  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 63 you go from Master to Tour Master
    • When you have played at least 50 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 61 you go from Tour Master to Legend 
    • When you have played at least 100  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 60 you go from Legend  to Tour Legend*
    • When you have played at least 200 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 57? you go from Tour Legend to Champion
    • When you have played at least 500 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 55/56? you go from Champion to Tour Champion

It used to be 500 ranked rounds as a Legend to move from Legend to Tour Legend, but since TL is no longer the top of the ladder since the introduction of the new tiers I suspect that the new standard has been modified accordingly, with Tour Champion being the new 500 round standard.

I put question marks next to the averages because I don't know what they are for sure yet.  Tour Champions don't even exist in WGT yet and I've yet to find a Champion that can confirm the exact number for that tier.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2015 9:59 AM

From what I can understand, there were a lot of complaints by legends (when that was the top tier) that boredom with the game had set in because they had reached the apex....nothing left to strive for. Tour Legend tier soon appeared and now Champion tier. (I've no idea what Tour Champion tier is about...having to be appointed?)....at any rate, I think wgt's continuing goal is to give players something to strive for, so boredom doesn't set in and folks and their $$$ merely leave altogether for something different. Regardless of the number of ranked rounds required, eventually Champion tier will be commonplace (we already have 244+) and wgt will probably come out with even more new tiers.

I am an average player (hack legend?) who plays Alternate almost exclusively...I like the social aspect that the game offers...I only became a legend so people would invite me to games and accept my invites. I have enough friends now that my tier wont make any difference as others progress up to TL and beyond.

I fully agree with you that top players will always be so, and the posers will simply be there to fill out rosters...

ct

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2015 10:45 AM

EricJeter:

I made a quick edit to the chart everybody has already seen in the past to what I THINK is the new standards....

WGT – Tiers

• When you have played at least 5 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 100 you go from Hack to Amateur.
    • When you have played at least 10  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 80 you go from Amateur to Pro.
    • When you have played at least 20 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 72 you go from Pro to Tour Pro
    • When you have played at least 30 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 67 you go from Tour Pro to Master
    • When you have played at least 40  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 63 you go from Master to Tour Master
    • When you have played at least 50 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 61 you go from Tour Master to Legend 
    • When you have played at least 100  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 60 you go from Legend  to Tour Legend*
    • When you have played at least 200 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 57? you go from Tour Legend to Champion
    • When you have played at least 500 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 55/56? you go from Champion to Tour Champion

It used to be 500 ranked rounds as a Legend to move from Legend to Tour Legend, but since TL is no longer the top of the ladder since the introduction of the new tiers I suspect that the new standard has been modified accordingly, with Tour Champion being the new 500 round standard.

I put question marks next to the averages because I don't know what they are for sure yet.  Tour Champions don't even exist in WGT yet and I've yet to find a Champion that can confirm the exact number for that tier.

I think saturation at Champ will be 200. Tour Champ is invite only so no qualification numbers will apply.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2015 2:06 PM

EricJeter:

Excuse me, these three are too vague and disputable to be presented in  the same form than the well-known "secrets" of average / level. Also, there are some deviations to the "knowledge" which I have.

1) L => TL: no new numbers have been put on the table by anyone. In my understanding, 500 rounds stand until other news.

2) TL => C: TLs with 58+ have become C, so 59.000 is the prospective number. It's also logical in the 61 / 60 / ?? sequence.

3) C => TC: not a question of average etc. WGT told us that TC is by personal invitation only.

• EasyEdward
    13,495 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2015 11:10 AM

At this time I believe quite firmly that Legend to Tour Legend remains 500 rounds until saturation.

My basis for saying that is that I have kept a spreadsheet with every round I have played since joining.  So far in the Legend Tier I have 483 rounds (discounting Par 5s and Par 3s). Both before and after the end of July changes my average calculation and WGT's calculation have remained identical.

If something changes when I hit saturation and my average calculation and WGT's do not track identically - then I will let everyone know.

EE

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2015 12:02 PM

I saturated at Champion with a 61 . something average.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2015 12:04 PM

I wonder how a player can be TL with avg 56.54 and only 114 ranked games in only 4 weeks.There must be a way around it ?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2015 12:36 PM

alosso:
    TL => C: TLs with 58+ have become C, so 59.000 is the prospective number. It's also logical in the 61 / 60 / ?? sequence.

Yes I tend to agree, but I am still confused over when you hit saturation.

I had player in excess of 500 RR as a TL (excluding Par 5's) and during my absence the new tiers were introduced. I had been sitting at 60.xx and was saturated.

First round back I had a 66, resulting in my average resetting at 63.xx.and have been at saturation ever since (higher scores did not move my average up).

I have now played a minimum of 700 rounds as a TL and only scores of under 63 see a drop in my average.

To be honest, averages mean nothing to me and I see no point in people trying to manipulate them to boost their egos (pretty sad in fact) and mine currently should be between 62 and 64. I doubt I will ever make it to under 59 as I am not good enough nor have the fortitude to grind away for a massive 250 credits.

But don't get me started on the award/reward scheme.

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2015 1:32 PM

alanti:

First round back I had a 66, resulting in my average resetting at 63.xx.and have been at saturation ever since (higher scores did not move my average up).

I have now played a minimum of 700 rounds as a TL and only scores of under 63 see a drop in my average.

When WGT created the C and TC tiers:

If you were saturated with 500 rr, then WGT took the worst 200 scores of those 500 best rr scores and used them to calculate your new scoring average once you completed a rr after the update.

Therefore you are still saturated as a TL and now with only 200 scores used to calculate your average.

RSS