Forums

Help › Forums

Wagering for Credits

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 18 2008 4:48 PM (2 replies)
  • SCCC-Champ
    4 Posts
    Mon, Nov 17 2008 8:02 PM

One of my favorite aspects of real golf is wagering with friends.  It would be fun to wager credits in multi-player games.  With different skill sets, if handicapping is too complicated, negotiating the number of shots and credits wagered before teeing off could add excitement.  For example, 2 shots and 20 credits.  If something were on the line, it might ensure that people complete their rounds and post all scores for true handicapping purposes.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 9:06 AM

That's a good idea, but I don't think legally we can see it happen.  I think that if you brought in a player vs player aspect for real money (credits in this case, but they are purchased with real money for the most part) that you are now eerily similiar to the concept of online poker.  You're playing a game of skill against other players for money.

Right now (at least in America), the UIGEA or (Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act) disallows funding for poker sites.  It's not illegal to play poker, it's illegal to fund it from American financial sources (banks, Visas, MC's etc).  Kind of a silly law, but you know, that's America for ya.

This is all speculation of course, but I think the legal aspects would tie that feature up, especially with them operating out of San Francisco.

• SCCC-Champ
    4 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 4:48 PM

You're probably right. 

If not credits, then maybe ratings points.  I've seen it done on other gaming sites where the higher rated player has more to lose and the lower rater player more to gain, therefore essentially creating a handicap sytem based on skill. 

For example, if player A is a (70.0) and beats Player B who is a (75.0),  Player A would improve by (.2 points), and therefore would become a 69.8, and Player B would become a 75.2.  If Player B won, then he could gain (1.0 point), therefore improving to 74.0, whereby Player A would move to 71.0.   The amount earned could be based on a formula derived from the delta of the two competitors. 

Have I mentioned that I like wagering in golf?  Think about it.  You could play any different number of games (match play, skins, four ball, etc.).

RSS