Forums

Help › Forums

If you have a good air conditioner

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 8 2021 1:44 PM (39 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2015 11:58 AM

Many a year ago I was at the desert Marine Corp base in 29 Palms CA....well over 100*, you didn't sweat but your uniform turned white with a salt stain by mid day as the sweat evaporated it was so dry....

Been in Phoenix, Houston, and other very hot areas in the summer...but I will take the dry heat over oppressive humidity any day!

I used to think it was hot in Missouri with days of 97* with high humidity, I thought it was bad in FL. when your inland away from the ocean!

However the worst summer heat I have ever seen is Camp Legeune North Carolina, I don't have a clue what the temp was or the humidity, all I know is your clothes got soaking wet while you were changing LOL, that was the worst heat I have experienced.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2015 12:40 PM

@Ducati916 who said.....

"Andy...perhaps there was 100% participation in Apache Junction...not precipitation..."

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2015 6:55 PM

pdb1:
    Of no embellishments or exaggerations needed

That set off my BS alarm and pegged the BS detector meter!

pdb1:
    The daytime temps ranged from 100 to 110 with 99% humidity

I had a semester of Meteorology 101 as an elective while getting my engineering degree and something didn't sound right since air can hold more water vapor as the temperature rises. (That's why many clouds that form in the AZ high country (where its cool) dissipate when the reach the Valley of the Sun 100 degree air)

Dew Point is the temperature where the air is saturated, holds as much water vapor as possible, and the water begins to condense out of the air. Like the water droplets on a cold drink.  That surface is colder than the surrounding air. cold enough so the water vapor in the air condenses on the glass.

The Dew Point is a function of air temp and humidity at a constant barometric pressure. So given air temp and relative humidity Dew Point can be calculated. 

I used an on line Dew Point Calculator.

At 100 degrees and 99% humidity the Dew Point is 99

At 110 degrees and 99% humidity the Dew Point is 109

So your Dew Points in Houston would have been between 99 and 109 degrees F.

As of 2011, the record Dew Point recorded in the U.S. by NOAA is only 90!

It happened July 13th, 1995 at 5 pm in Appleton Wisconsin.  Source, page 2

No way did you have 100/99 or 110/99 conditions in Houston or it would have been the record Dew Point!

It appears you can't help but embellish or exaggerate everything!

FYI the 117 with 70% humidity you claimed at ASU would have been another record Dew Point of 105

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2015 7:51 PM

Andy...stop picking on him.  100% of the dew points were in a CC tourney and the winner shot 110...therefore, 110 as a score x 100% participation =  record dew point of 110.....please go back and take Meteorology 102 and if you complete 100% of that class, you will then have a personal dew point of 102 x 100%...or, 102...so you see, that's 2 brand new records right here in the Valley of the Sun (CC)...

Question for you though......I once cooked a frozen pizza at 425 degrees...the oven had 0% humidity I'm guessing..and I then put it on a plate that had some residual condensation as I just took it from the dishwasher....what was the dew point of my pizza and the beer which was chilled to 29.8 degrees....?

RSS