Forums

Help › Forums

Advice on Golf between Atlanta and New Orleans?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 28 2015 4:54 AM (5 replies)
  • alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2015 3:42 AM

Hi,

Travelling from Atlanta airport to New Orleans in two weeks, I'm looking for a nice golf course to play, say, after passing Montgomery. It need not be a big name or THE champs' challenge, rather a comfortable one with nice views etc.

And, a variation from the majority of parkland courses would be welcome!

Some time later I'm gonna head back to Atlanta, from the Nashville area.

Any proposals in these two areas are welcome - I owe you a beer if we can meet ;)

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2015 5:11 AM

Alosso, Alabama has a Robert Trent Jones Golf trail which consist of 18 different courses all throught the state. Just pass Montgomery there is a town called Prattville. There is a RTJ there with 3 different courses. They are all well kept up and beautiful. Play the Judge. The cost is around 50 dollars for 18. This is a first class course. Enjoy. Also a few hours away in Greenville they have another RTJ. Two courses there. Then a few hours further in Mobile there is another RTJ. Also very nice. The ones in Prattville and Mobile host the LPGA every year. Wish I was going to be close, we would play a round.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 5:03 AM

lonnieskinner:
    They are all well kept up and beautiful.

Yes. Very nice courses.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 7:21 AM

Thank you - I took notice of these, and the situation will tell what I do.

Some company would be very welcome on June 2nd, probably in the morning. Later on that Tuesday, I'm gonna meet my party at New Orleans.

Is there any proposal for the second route, from Nashville to Atlanta?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2015 2:27 AM

So, I'm probably going to play St Andrews Golf&Country Club *smiles* (Winston, GA) on Monday afternoon, and around Mobile, AL on Tuesday morning.

Received a pleasant invitation by a fellow player for Thursday night and Fri 12th - thank you!

Still, I'd appreciate some hints where to play on 06/10 and 06/11, between Jackson, TS and Atlanta.

Birmingham, Chattanooga, ...  - any nice courses around?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 4:54 AM

Indeed I played St Andrews on arrival, nine holes on a quite hilly course.

Tuesday was difficult between the long drive to New Orleans, but I got help from my Jetlag. Left a hotel in Auburn AL about 9 am (German time) and had a nice&early round on Hickory Hill CC in Gautier, MS (8:30 local time), then arriving in NOLA in time, early afternoon. Unfortunately, the Robert Trent Jones courses wouldn't fit in my schedule.

A few days later I played "Links on the Bayou" in Alexandria LA, a well-kept public course.

Between Nashville and Chattanooga, I chose Willowbrook GC in Manchester TN, finding a pleasurable&flat course after fighting my way through the visitors arriving at Bonnaroo Festival ;)

The next morning brought me to Cedartown GA. Meadow Lakes GC provided good fun and easy golf from Gold (5400 yds) with two friendly&aged brothers.

Last but certainly not least, on my departure day, my fur-tailed friend Squirrel shared Panola Mountain GC, Ellenwood GA with me. 10+18 holes in company of another friend, with "fun" above "performance" - the journey could not find a better end.

I've been back home now for two weeks but the memories will stay long time!

RSS