Forums

Help › Forums

LIFE SPAN OF BALLS

Mon, Feb 1 2021 11:22 AM (23 replies)
  • ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2015 8:54 AM

cashwalker:
    In real life a ball can last you an entire summer if you don't lose them in the water.

A lot of amateur golfers think that, and as long as you don't mind having less than maximum performance from your golf balls, keep playing them long after they have lost their maximum compression.

If you ever get a chance to, ask an advanced amateur golfer or a pro golfer how long they expect a golf ball to last.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2015 9:31 AM

While you are correct for real courses, and I know your more detailled description of your own habit, I don't like this analogy here.

Balls in this game don't change in performance, they don't "lose compression and eventually becomes less playable" even if the WGT text module says so.

They may be hesitant, but us users and clients can omit sugarcoated language:

Counting strokes and limiting ball life is the main way to take an entry fee for playing!

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 5:25 AM

I look at WGT as a hobbie. And hobbies usually cost money. There are ways via the free offers to get credits to buy the balls. There is also the starter balls that are free. To my knowledge there is no way of selling equipment to recoup real cash.

Jacko.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 8:54 AM

WGTShamWow:
    Also, when you play with a real golf ball it begins to lose compression and eventually becomes less playable.

I'd be willing to understand the low durability here with explanations such as, cover is worn or cut, but to say it's because golf balls lose compression is silly.  I'm not saying they don't lose compression, but saying that they don't lose it as fast as they were out here.

I found this in a Golf Digest article a few minutes ago.  When asked "How long should a golf ball last?"

----

In short, a lot longer than you can likely keep hitting it and finding it.

Ball cores are commonly designed to withstand at least 100 strikes at 125 miles per hour before cracking. That's seven rounds of Tiger-like drives.

Of course, the cover will often go first, especially if you have a steep angle of attack or fresh grooves or tend to rely on cartpaths for extra distance. But these minor scuffs won't affect performance. "As long as the cover is relatively smooth, maybe a little paint missing, you're fine to play it," says TaylorMade's Dean Snell. Still, our testing showed that a serious scuff could cost you six yards on a tee shot.

A urethane cover's durability comes from being soft with an elastic memory. Ionomer covers are more durable because they're firm.

-----

I think more would understand if the ball was "taken out of play because the cover had been too scuffed up" or something to that nature.   

But, I do understand that ball sales is the one major factor keeping the game "free".  

I still think the ball durability meter should be in numbers of hits left like the putter/shot pal.   Besides, wouldn't a golf ball that was hit with a slower swing speed last longer than one hit with a faster swing?   Shouldn't that make the golf ball durability here change according to the meter speed?  Would perhaps help sell slower metered clubs? 

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 12:19 PM

hpurey:
    I think more would understand if the ball was "taken out of play because the cover had been too scuffed up" or something to that nature.   

Really Hazen? LOL

WGT doesn't need our help spinning their story!

Why, next thing ya know we'll be seeing...

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2015 12:36 PM

andyson:
    Really Hazen? LOL

LOL,   Andy strikes again!

I think that the part about seeing some wild stuff already is there, but just another bug that it's invisible, that's why we don't hear about it.  ;-)

Just do away with any and all reasons why a ball wears out.  Just say, this ball gets x amount of hits.  Would you like to buy more hits?   (that may bring some good comments now that I read that aloud)  lol

Or, take another hit?  or pass it?  LOL

• kendrickld
    17 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2021 1:33 PM

I have noticed that I play one or two games and have to purchase 3 new balls.  It was not this bad before the new updates.  I contacted WGT but no response yet.

• mrmp1
    522 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2021 7:15 PM

I would bet you are buying 3 balls when the popup says you have 1 HIT LEFT only buy when it says you are down to you're LAST BALL check you're ball inventory

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2021 8:15 PM

mrmp1:

I would bet you are buying 3 balls when the popup says you have 1 HIT LEFT only buy when it says you are down to you're LAST BALL check you're ball inventory

No the balls appear to wear out faster on the new version. 

• twinponds169
    3,004 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2021 10:43 PM

mrmp1:

BINGO !!!

If you click on your profile pic in the upper right corner of the game when it opens, then click on edit equipment near the bottom center, then click on your ball, it will tell you how many balls you have.

This new version gives you a pop-up every time you are on your last "HIT" on the ball, and offers you to buy a new sleeve, even though you don't need one. The pop-up is way too similar to the actual last "BALL" pop-up, almost seems like a cheap money grab by WGT since there never was a pop-up like this before unless you were actually on your last ball.

RSS