Help › Forums

tiger in the woods

Mon, Apr 13 2015 10:24 PM (52 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:22 PM

xxxhogheadxxx:
    the best ever was Moe Norman

...MOE!!!!   It is interesting that so many big dogs in the know claim Trevino as best ball striker of all time while Trevino says it is Moe Norman by a long shot...

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 7:20 AM

SweetiePie:
    Trevino says it is Moe Norman by a long shot...

is it possible for a golfer to be both unknown to most casual fans and a legend in the golf world? Yes, if you're talking about Moe Norman. The enigmatic, eccentric, infuriating and inspiring Norman - a golf genius according to many golf greats who say he was the greatest ball striker they've ever seen - died Saturday at the age of 75.

He would go on to set 33 course records, win 13 Canadian Tour events, play for Canada in the World Cup in 1971, shoot 59 three times and record 17 holes-in-one.

The year 1995 was a good year for Norman - he was elected to the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame. And he was also given a $5,000-a-month-for-life stipend by Titleist/FootJoy ... for doing nothing. Just to help out a legend who'd had some hard times.

Hogan had always asserted that there was no such thing as an intentionally straight golf shot. After watching Norman hammer one perfectly straight shot after another, Hogan just scratched his head and walked away, suggesting that Norman "keep hitting those accidents."

Would love to see a film about Moe Lily! quite a story!!!!

I found this on youtube. I think moe's age was Middle 60's here.My fav line was when the interviewer asked Moe how long he has had that Tee for when he was hitting driver because it always stayed in ground.Moe replied!! " Around 7 years now"[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/

:500:0]

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:37 AM

Last one:)

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 12:31 PM

SweetiePie:
    ...MOE!!!!   It is interesting that so many big dogs in the know claim Trevino as best ball striker of all time while Trevino says it is Moe Norman by a long shot...
    I do know this...at least in my opinion...Trevino had the prettiest low , soft fade I've ever seen...The strong , long , high draw is awesome , but Trevino's fade was just beautiful , that's all...just beautiful.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 10:22 AM

WOW!!! Golly 'Tess, that is a wonderful post ! The two clips of "Pipeline Moe" are facinating and lend easy appreciation and love to a strange, adorable man whose only thought seems to be '12 o'clock. There is quite a bit more in Wilk'...;-}

TheAceFactor:
    ...Trevino had the prettiest low , soft fade I've ever seen...The strong , long , high draw is awesome , but Trevino's fade was just beautiful , that's all...just beautiful.

And I totally agree Ace...just yummy, to die for, shot making. And isn't it interesting that Hogan, Moe Norman and Trevino are all ranked as the best ball strikers in golf history, that all three were self taught, that all three had flat swing planes, and that all three came from extreme poverty ridden, hard scrabble beginnings, yet never even considered spending their time on anything other than golf....not even a consideration!!!

• 100plus
    801 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2015 3:01 PM

I had the privilege of playing in  a Tournament with Moe Norman in Cornwall in the 80,s ,my group was following his and he was fantastic to watch,his stance ,his swing all looked strange but the results he got were amazing to see and his consistency was remarkable.

Trev

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2015 3:30 PM

Didn't Moe Norman have a golf instructing infomercial back in the late 90s where he used a golf club with a little metal baseball bat for a club head and could shape shots any direction without fail? It was amazing to watch.

I remember sportscaster Pat Summerall was the host of the infomercial.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2015 6:51 PM

I guess it was someone else.

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2015 8:06 PM

you can say all you want about ball strikers , its putting and majors that make you great !!!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 7:46 AM

filmslayer:

you can say all you want about ball strikers , its putting and majors that make you great !!!

Maybe. It would depend upon which measuring stick and which brain decides to venture the determination. The sports pundit ? An arbitrary body of pseudo golf "experts" ? The fan ? The player who actually saw things in person ? Which ? There was a time when the US Amateur and the British Amateur were considered "majors"; and the Canadian Open also by some. Which measurement is now valid and why has it changed and who is now being short-changed ? Ben Crenshaw has never been found guilty of anything other than mediocre shot making. Nor has Bobby Locke. Jerry Pate was cut short, as was Jim Nelford....along with Tony Lema and Payne Stewart. The great Ben Hogan never really gave a durn about putting..........Ahh, but Moe, on the other hand, in a Tournament, mind you, was told by his caddy that the hole could be played with a driver & a 9-iron, so Moe teed off with the 9-iron and then hit the green with his driver....true greatness ;-} 

RSS