Forums

Help › Forums

Diagram of green

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 26 2009 10:30 AM (1 replies)
  • uujm
    9 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:55 PM

Can you tell me what the numbers mean on the overhead view of the green on the hole info page before each hole? I think they are distances but don't understand them. Also they are set up differently  on Bethpage Black compared to Kiawah Island. I know this was asked before but I didn't see any answers.

Thanks,

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 10:30 AM

IIRC, most decent golf courses set up their greens in 3 sections... top, middle and bottom.  Then they assign numbers to them, 1, 2 and 3.  The numbers do not correspond to the places.. for example 1 is not always the top, but can be, 2 is not always the middle, but can be, etc etc..

When you show up to play that course, you can ask where the pin positions are that day... are they in the 1s, the 2s, the 3s?  That way, those who play golf seriously can make adjustments to their approaches if they know that its 150 yards to the center of the green (via the on course yardage markers) and the pin position is top green today (adding so many feet/yards, etc)

So, to answer your question, I believe the numbers on the picture of the green is the size of the section of the green... top, middle, bottom.

But to us, here, it really won't matter because the pin position is marked out for us exactly with the yardage marker.

Or, I'm full of it and completely misunderstood your question.  /wink

RSS