Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrew

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 27 2009 8:39 PM (20 replies)
  • elis2008
    21 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:51 PM

i waited all week for saint andrews but cant play cause its onl for those over drinking age

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 9:03 PM

I agree with Nivlac 100%.  All course should be available for stroke play.

• NateDiggy
    36 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 10:01 PM

Naturally, I wholly agree with my fellow golfers. 

Obviously, there is nothing legally stopping WGT from using St. Andrews, since it has the closest to the pin already up.   And financially, they attracted a TON of new customers with their amazing US Open involvement, so that's hopefully not an issue either.  

Getting a small taste of St. Andrews for the CTP challenge is the biggest ***-tease in the world! (can I say that? ha)   But if we thought Bethpage was hard to score on, SA would be a nightmare!   Maybe we're better off not torturing ourselves.

What about Pebble Beach for next year's open?  DROOL!!!

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 5:36 AM

St. Andrews... the Old Course....  can be a nightmare... or it can be easy depending on how the wind is blowing... and it's always blowing there....  Huge.... reachable greens...  There isn't one hole that you can't gir.......  rough is easier to hit out of....  St. Andrews is and has always been a classic, links play course...  you can score low... as long as you work the wind with the course  Come on and bring the open on.... 

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 7:30 AM

Hi All,

Would love to see the full 18 at St Andrews - just amazing.

Now - the Masters !! Wasnt the question asked as to what format the Masters would be best played on. We all (I hope we did) responded with WGT - of course. So - why cant we have Augusta National -  The Masters at WGT. How incredible would that be.

Gotta get back to the course.

Cheers Doug

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:27 AM

Who knows what wgt will do for next year?  it's very possible we'll have the masters....  I mean it can't all just be the US Open right?  and what about the PGA Championship?  I'm sure they're working on more stuff right now...  I just wish the new, longer clubs would be out already

• GSpinks1962
    106 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 2:36 PM

It looks like EA Sports is getting ready to compete with WGT. They are making the browser only online version of Tiger Woods. If WGT doesn't hurry with some courses they may lose this battle.

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 3:02 PM

I tried to get on as a beta tester for the Tiger Woods online version but they were full.   It will be interest to see how things develop.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 5:53 PM

I don't know guys.. if TW online is a stupid as the standalone, why bother?  Unless you like playing cartoon golf where you can change the flight path, spin rate, and direction in mid-flight...

Sorry.. that's just not realistic golf.

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 8:19 PM

The new Tiger Woods for the Wii with the new motion plus, is as close to a simulation game I have found.  Of course after a while with all the player upgrades and the 300 plus yard drives it does become rather unauthentic.  However, is WGT not venturing into those same murky waters, with better clubs and better balls, etc?  I mean, if you had a driver that could carry 300, what would have been the best score on the qualifying round at Bethpage?  52? 57?  Completely unrealistic!  Ok, maybe they speed up the greens to make it tougher right?  But how many do you alienate by doing so.  I asked my greenskeeper the other day why he always put the pins in the easiest spots on the weekends.  He laughed and said: "because it speeds up play and it makes it easier for the duffers.  They score better, they come back.  We make it too hard, they get discouraged and we lose them and their money".  Same principle here folks.  WGT has to strive for balance.  Not make it too unpleasant for the first timer where he thinks screw this, this game sucks, versus the master who thinks that the game is too easy and provides no more of a challenge and off to better things.

I say to WGT, keep it as real as you can for as long as you can and never mind the grumblers who think they can hit it 300 in real golf.  

I think that the community at large here (the core if you prefer)are "purists" , meaning that we know shots are not always hit perfectly, that wind affects play, and that sometimes, no matter how hard you try or practice, the ball will not go in the hole.  

I am reminded in this debate about the old conflict between Tecmo Super Bowl and the Madden Football games.  For me, it was always Tecmo.  They were the pioneers in player tracking, rankings, overall stats, etc.  Sure the presentation wasn't as good as it could have been, but they were the best.  EA copied it, put some bells and whistles and all of a sudden Madden is the undisputed king of football video games.  I like playing Madden, but I prefer Tecmo.  I like T-Dub, but I prefer WGT.  Let's hope the marketing dollars don't kill off this gem.

RSS