Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrew

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 27 2009 8:39 PM (20 replies)
  • north2002
    4 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 12:04 PM

Will we be able to play stroke play at St. Andrews?

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:56 PM

Hi north, this is something we are considering, but there is not yet an ETA.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:58 PM

I'd like to put in a vote that every course be available for stroke play unless it's not technically or contractually feasible.

I think I echo the sentiments of most if not all players here on this one.

• GSpinks1962
    106 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:17 PM

I agree...  I've spent a bunch of money already and see I will be spending more next month on the new clubs. However, this is the one thing that has me thinking twice about doing so. This is a great game with a ton of potential but it’s the equivalent making a shooter with one map. I could care less about the closest to the pin contests that’s not a real golf simulation. How many closest to the pin tournaments have you ever been to.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:33 PM

St Andrews would be an awesome course for full round play. The fairways look tough with the greens looking near impossible to read. Please... PLEASE bring this course to full play.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:45 PM

I'll echo the sentiment that it would be great if every course was stroke play.

I personally almost never play the CTP game, and wouldn't be disappointed in the least if WGT got rid of it (and freeing up the resources to focus on stroke play).

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:48 PM

I am not 'privy' to any internal WGT workings, but I do have a thought to add...

Perhaps it's not WGT that decides if/when the Royal and Ancient course becomes stroke play.  That is one of the most recognizable courses in the world and I would venture a guess that the owners/proprietors would jealously guard their image and whatnot.

Perhaps we could find a Canadiam Lawyer.. (I know there's one around here somewhere, right WaterTrap?)... who could shed a bit of light on the whole copyright thing.

If I were WGT, and I wanted to make a realistic online golf game, you could bet your... ummm... "bottom" that I would want the R&A in my game.

Just a thought.

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 8:46 PM

It is evident that WGT will release the full 18 at the venerable course we've all come to cherish, the Old as it is know in St-Andrews.  Unlike Augusta (which we will never see on here), or Pine valley or Redtail (Canada) which are ultra exclusive private clubs, the Old is owned by the town.  If you are a citizen of St-Andrews, I think your yearly membership dues are like $400 bucks US per year, it's insanely cheap.  My point is, that the Old has always obliged and adored being the "home of golf" and with the Open Championship coming up next year, what better way than to drum up even more potential tourists/spectators.

For as long as I can remember, the Old has always been a staple in the EA sports Tiger Woods games, and unless WGT and Pilsner Urquell couldn't come up with the cash (mutually agreed upon of course) to satisfy the R&A, then I suspect, this full course will be made available to us in due time.   

In the mean time, I have to say that is awesome to hit out of the road hole bunker, and finish on 18.  Those buildings look really close to the fairway.  Wonder how many Pro V's made into somebody's kitchen.....lol.

Compared to TW from EA, the WGT job of rendering the Old Course is the best I have seen thus far.  Hard to imagine they spent so much on the mechanics of those specific holes without actually working out the kinks for the full round.

Oh, and sorry for the long post but I just remembered something else.  There is an indoor golf simulator nearby where I work out the kinks in my real swing during the winter months and it has the Old Course, so for the WGT, this really should not have been a tough deal to get done, especially with a great sponsor in Pilsner Urquell.

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 12:04 AM

Back in the 80's,  I played Augusta on either Mean18 or Nicklaus Championship Courses. 

What changed that makes it impossible to see Augusta "on here"?

Thanks

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 5:28 AM

What changed, is copyright infringement and licensing.  The green coats are much more protective now of their corporate associations.  I beleive they only had 3 sponsors for this year's tournament.  Now, if one of WGT's majority shareholder was a member at Augusta.....

RSS