Help › Forums

Lower the average

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:45 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jf2604
    14 Posts
    Tue, Jan 13 2015 12:04 PM

Hello to you. A small question to know what are the golf courses that account to reduce our average?

Collaboration thank you.

jf

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Tue, Jan 13 2015 2:04 PM

You can reduce your average on all of the courses so long as you are playing a ranked round.

We use an algorithm to determine when a player is eligible to move to a new tier as well as computing the average, which takes into account a number of factors including number of ranked games played.  These numbers scale by tier, so it's necessary to shoot a lower average to advance and to play more games to reach higher tiers.  For example, when you reach Tour Master, you will need to play a larger number of ranked rounds than you had as a Master, maintaining a low average, to tier up to Legend.

Additionally, in response to WGT player feedback about sandbagging (misrepresenting one's true ability to gain advantage by playing at a lower tier from closer tee boxes), WGT is using more than just ranked stroke play scores to determine each player's average score and appropriate tier ranking.

For obvious reasons, WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits. We still encourage the community's feedback on Sandbagging, but believe this is an important step to reducing the practice and keeping the game fair.

Finally, most of our top players have posted close estimates for players to try to gauge their progress in advancing tiers. Here is a good thread to read:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/9085/707139.aspx#707139

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Jan 13 2015 2:05 PM

All ranked stroke play rounds that include both tee shots and putting, with the exclusion of the par 3 and par 5 courses.

Edit***

This was found in the FAQ's...  Which still doesn't mention the par 5 course not counting toward your average.

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier. Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter. Please note that scores from the Best of Par 3 stroke play course will not be counted towards your Tier ranking.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Jan 13 2015 2:57 PM

WGTadmin:
    You can reduce your average on all of the courses so long as you are playing a ranked round.

This is not all wrong but not fully correct.

Only Strokeplay rounds are Ranked rounds => tournament, single and multiplayer games, excluding practice rounds and Par3 and Par5 rounds as said before.

Therefore, "all of the courses" is a misleading euphemism because all the CTTH&Blitz courses are not available.

• Snowcatnut
    6 Posts
    Thu, Jan 15 2015 2:40 AM

I have a question about the Average Score and the statement from this paragraph that "Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier."

I just moved up to Tour Master and my score has been going backwards.  I am still getting use to the green speeds and some of the distances have changed.  Does this only apply to the lower Tiers?

Thank you for your help.

• RKPayne
    213 Posts
    Fri, Jan 16 2015 7:31 AM

alosso:
    Only Strokeplay rounds are Ranked rounds => tournament, single and multiplayer games, excluding practice rounds and Par3 and Par5 rounds as said before.

He said as long as you're playing a "Ranked" round..If you're playing CTTH, blitz, alt shot, etc., those are not "Ranked" rounds.

Cheers

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Jan 16 2015 7:45 AM

The main phrase of the answer was

You can reduce your average on all of the courses [...]

which is at least misleading - try to find a ranked round now on Pebble Beach, Valhalla etc.

I tried to help against such disappointment.

Edit: And he failed to mention the exception on Par3 and Par5 courses.

• mojocracker
    18 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:30 PM

It seems weird that my average has been stuck at 67.28 for around two years now.   Seems odd. Almost certainly mathematically impossible. 

• patrickmar
    245 Posts
    Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:30 AM

mojocracker:
    It seems weird that my average has been stuck at 67.28 for around two years now.   Seems odd. Almost certainly mathematically impossible. 

all your last 50 or so rounds there in no score lower then 72 on 18 holes so how do you think the average is going to go down when you are not even playing anywhere close to a 67 average?

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Tue, Sep 22 2015 5:30 PM

Snowcatnut:

I have a question about the Average Score and the statement from this paragraph that "Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier."

I just moved up to Tour Master and my score has been going backwards.  I am still getting use to the green speeds and some of the distances have changed.  Does this only apply to the lower Tiers?

Thank you for your help.

Your average resets when you move up a tier. So now as Tour Master you will need to accumulate 50 stroke play ranked rounds (where all scores are counted) before the statement you quoted applies again.  This is true for all tiers, WGTadmin's link above gives you all the details.  -Keith

Edit: ok my answer is 9 months late, hope it still helps :)

• PAGES
RSS