Forums

Help › Forums

A Driving Range!!

Sun, Apr 12 2020 2:13 PM (21 replies)
  • Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Tue, Dec 30 2014 3:52 PM

Funny, the longer you playing here, (assuming you're not mentally handicapped) the more you recall about your early days questions, and first impressions.

tspot85, I asked for a practice Putting Greens and a Driving Range within my first week on this site, so don't feel that you have asked a "Stupid Question" - there are no stupid questions, only self important Jackii, who can't remember  - say 3 to 6 years back, when they were new.  (NOT sorry guys LOOK AT THE POSTER'S page before you start unloading - this player has only been here for 9-10 days).

The advice to use the 'SEARCH' function is always a good idea!

Wife just called "Dinner" and, after 47 years, I know that she's not joking!!
    After eating I will post a few links that should help - BUT the most important things to remember are (1. This is a GAME - nobody (except WGT) makes a living here and (2. this site abounds with self-elected experts (most of whom don't play worth a darn - learn to look at the poster's stats to determine if he/she is worth reading).
    BB soon.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Tue, Dec 30 2014 5:16 PM

Fish Chowder - YUM!!

These first 2 threads are very good introductions to putting. The 3rd 'Gold's Putting Formula' to will teach you how to read the greens.  The 4h shows you techniques that will improve tour putting. The final one offers both a wind calculator and a putting calculator that will run on Windows based computers.

Stonecold's putting clinic :
    http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/136065.aspx

Putting tip: distance control:
    http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/136065.aspx

Gold's putting formula:
    http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/99536.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Many top players say that this is the most consistent and accurate method available. It most be read very carefully & practiced to work for you -  (It takes way too long, if you are in a game with another player, so work with it on solo practice rounds).

Tekoma*** Putting techniques
    #1= http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/226749.aspx
    #2 = http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/229221.aspx

Kat's Calculators - Version 2.0
    http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/225751.aspx

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Tue, Dec 30 2014 5:24 PM

And from a 2 year old post:

This is a very 'realistic' game; they have thrown in (unknown & unexplained) variables in order to continually challenge players.  I'm not that good (nothing like some of the WHIZ KIDS in lower tiers shooting "Legend" scores) but I have learned a few things which are worthy of your consideration:

1. Every course plays a little bit different(ly?).

2. That said, each course plays the same - each time you play it.  I.E. St Andrews today will be (mostly) like St. Andrews tomorrow - but will be different from Royal St. George!!      

3. It seems that green speeds change (by just a bit) each day.  So if the game says "Very Fast" today and "Very Fast" tomorrow - the amount of power that you need to make the ball roll 6 feet into the cup, well, changes - daily - but not by a huge amount ( more like 1-3 %).  So pay attention on your first putt - if you hit it (for what you thought was a 6' putt and it only went 5.5'  - add a little more juice on the next putt & remember that you will have to add a little more juice on every other putt - for that course - all day).

4. If higher level players are whining about the (fiction) fact that their shots are falling longer (or shorter) after an update - TAKE THIS TO THE BANK - they probably never bothered to "index" or "map" their clubs - I.E. they don't really know what to expect from their equipment.  If they did (see #3 above) , when game conditions change (daily??), they would adjust their play to add or subtract power/spin as needed!  To be a little more "direct", if your first 2 balls travel shorter than you should reasonably expect - consider  adding more power  ; - ()!!

5. How to Index/Map clubs:  WGT gave each club a 'rating' distance - do you know how accurate it is?  I'm not saying that WGT is lying - please the conspiracy thread is elsewhere! For example, your Cleveland 60 deg. wedge is rated at 75 yards. Here are the types of shots that you can take with a Wedge: Full, Punch, Pitch, Chip, and Flop. In addition you can apply spin to your ball.  So which type of shot and with which spin do you get 75 yards of travel?

When you have "mapped" your clubs, you will know (pretty accurately) which club to choose and what type of spin to apply.

To map the clubs go to 1 course (the best players here recommend BPB Back 9), practice game, low wind (still hoping WGT will give us a 'no wind' option some day), with your ball of choice. Get on the fairway, choose the club, choose the spin, DING it toward the pin. Now record how far it traveled when it hit the ground and how far it rolled to the stop.

When the screen moves for the next shot: pull the aiming triangle back toward to Tee box (i.e. direction opposite to your first shot). Choose the same club & spin - DING it back up the course & record "air travel" and  and ground roll.  Average the numbers to cancel the effect of wind and record them on your 'Club Map".

If you don't DING it, your numbers will not be quite as accurate. This is a boring & expensive exercise (I used over 2 sleeves to to map my irons).

6. Just as bad as never really learning the equipment, some jump from one ball to another in an effort to find a combination to their liking, LMAO!!!  REALLY!!! You don't see PGA Pros doing this IRL - so why do it here?  I chose the L33 Cally ball and because most players say that it is the most consistent performer in the Pro Shop. Until you get a whole lot better (& me too), stick with that ball, "map" (index) it to your clubs and play the darned thing. This way, at least you have a reasonable idea of how far the ball should be traveling on any given shot and are able to adjust to (daily?) changing

conditions.

7. ***After you have 'mapped' your clubs, take notes for each course that you play. Note what you calculated as the desired distance, which club did you use, at what % power,  was your hit early, late or Ding, and where did the ball go (long, short - right-on). Then use these notes to adjust your shot to get closer to the pin.

8. Faulty meter performance has, in this Forum, for (at least) the past three years that I've been playing here, been attributed to the browser that a player is using, the version of Flash resident in your computer, and the cleanliness (for lack of a better term) of your cache.  I use the latest Flash update, the latest Foxfire update & set my computer to clear my cache each time I leave the web. Also the Forums have suggested holding your club at whatever backswing power you have calculated for 3-5 seconds before releasing it for the shot.  Following the above, I have found VERY FEW problems with the meter (& I am on a 6 year old E-Machines box running on Windows XP with old Athlon XP chip).

9. Real truth - there is no substitute for experience - practice the game, take notes and your scores will improve.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Dec 30 2014 6:19 PM

@Wheels65

Brilliant stuff. This is what I like about the forums, players helping out newer players so they can get the same enoyment out of the game that many of us have - so enjoy the balls

To the OP, the forums have a ton of great info, so the search is a great feature.

As pointed out, the need for a driving range is limited. The cost vs return, and is probably not worth it or WGT. As for the players, as pointed out Beth for mapping and mulligans can be used.

And unlike real golf, a driving range is great for grip changes, stance variations and perfecting the swing - none of that applies for this game. Yes a no wind option (that exists in the programming) would be great for practice mode....but I am not holding my breath.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Tue, Dec 30 2014 6:27 PM

Wheel65

+2

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 1:08 AM

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 8:22 AM

Thank you, guys!

• tspot85
    4 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 9:15 AM

Thanks Wheels65!  Don't worry I don't feel I asked a stupid question, I am a member of other forums of various subjects but the same kind of people are on all of them!

Thank you for all the awesome suggestions of how to improve my game.  This is what forums were created for!

I still think a driving range is a good idea to speed up the learning curve of the game. The people that have been here for 5 years don't care sure, but how about enticing new people to show up?  This is a difficult golf game, some people don't have the patience and persistence to test all their clubs like this just to be able to compete.  Speaking in terms of profit, the best way to get the most profit would be to appeal to the widest variety of people, no?

Anyways, im a noob so ill stop. Indeed it is true on other forums as well. I go back and look at posts from the first month or two i was there, and I laugh and laugh.

Thanks again Wheels!

• GaryMoney
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jan 2 2015 10:33 AM

Wheels65,

Thank you very much for the info, I'll start working on it this weekend. Have the happiest of new year's and a very prosperous one as well.

G-Money

• DanB1978
    2 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2015 1:28 PM

I am all for a driving range. 

Have a bucket of balls cost so many credits so you don't use up your purchased balls, or the option of using your own balls. 

It would be great for weekends where there are free club rentals to try. 

It would be great if you could adjust the wind speed and direction.  

All other features would be the same as the game.

I appreciate the suggestions from some that you uses some existing long and straight fairways and just manipulate the course.  But, I don't want to chase the ball around.... just like in real life!!! I just want to hit the ball with different clubs and set up.

RSS