Forums

Help › Forums

Gimmees

Sat, Jan 30 2021 7:42 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Brian018
    2 Posts
    Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:12 PM

While the current posts speak to Gimmees being taken at 2-3 feet, I am seeing Gimmees being awarded in 1v1 matches at over 8 feet. Can you change the programming to restrict Gimmees to less than 12 inches? These long Gimmees really do (negatively) affect the realism of the game. 

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 10:49 AM

Brian018:

While the current posts speak to Gimmees being taken at 2-3 feet, I am seeing Gimmees being awarded in 1v1 matches at over 8 feet. Can you change the programming to restrict Gimmees to less than 12 inches? These long Gimmees really do (negatively) affect the realism of the game. 

Gimmies are only available to the lower tiers.  As players move up they loose that option in ranked or scored games.  This was done to give Hack level players a way to speed game play up.

- WGTdbloshoe

• Brian018
    2 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:08 PM

Understood - thanks for the response.

However, the purpose of simulation games is to approximate real-world conditions - be it aerial dogfighting or playing golf.  Long Gimmees do not occur in the real world.  

As an innovative solution, why not conduct a survey of your current "members" and ask them how they would like to see the Gimmee rule applied?  From other comments I have seen, I believe most would opt for a <12 inch rule to be programmed into the software.  In any event, let your customers decide - I think they would appreciate such a survey.

As for speed of play, I have noticed that the greatest hindrance to game speed is the loss of connection to WGT servers, which happens with regular frequency in 1v1 matches.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 1:46 PM

Looking at it from the revenue side, long Gimmes for low tier players are successful:

They are an incentive for new players to dare play against more experienced ones, have fun and continue, and they "help" them tier up more quickly via the "anti-sandbagging" rules, creating demand for better balls and clubs.

It's win-win for the company ;)

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 2:06 PM

I guess he is talking about conceding putts?    The ability to give a putt speeds up play a lot, especially when you are 2 feet away putting for a birdie and you opponent is 35 feet away putting for a par.   Match play stats don't count anyway except for wins and losses so I'm not sure how it effects things.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 2:10 PM

Each post before yours contains "Gimmes", so I guess the thread subject is still alive.

Low tiers may take(!) Gimmes from a few feet out, even in rated games.

• gdog8
    1,356 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 3:54 PM

OOPS! Sorry thought it said Guinness Carry on fine Gentleman-Cheers!

• DanPHogan
    41 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 7:34 PM

I just lost to a level 10 hack who had gimmees of 10, eleven and FIFTEEN feet.

No way that would play in real golf ( not that this is real).

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2021 5:07 AM

DanPHogan:

I just lost to a level 10 hack who had gimmees of 10, eleven and FIFTEEN feet.

No way that would play in real golf ( not that this is real).

It has been like that for as long as I can remember. What usually happens is when these players end up getting promoted, and actually have to make the putt themselves, they simply disappear... and umm cough start over. LOL

Don

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2021 7:29 PM

This post started in 2014, I don't remember gimmies being around back then.  

• PAGES
RSS