Forums

Help › Forums

Wind indicator

Wed, Sep 10 2014 10:46 PM (26 replies)
  • Thecoxman
    35 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:02 PM

Greetings to all,

I can't find a suitable answer to this question using the search. Does the wind indicator correspond to the little map, or the main view?

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:24 PM

Thecoxman:

Greetings to all,

I can't find a suitable answer to this question using the search. Does the wind indicator correspond to the little map, or the main view?

It corresponds to your shot in general.  The mini map just shows you what the hole looks like.  I would say it really is for both.

- WGTdbloshoe

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 3:42 AM

I like to call it a 'Windicator'.   : )  and when webpages take a long time to load, they're not 'slow loading', they're 'sloading', hehe.

Time for my medication, lol.

• WilliamRNewmanJr
    4,031 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 6:59 AM

Thecoxman:

Greetings to all,

TheCoxMan,

The Wind is showing you the Directions its going and the Speed of the Wind. It does effect your Golf Ball Flight from the Tee's and FW's.

Sometimes it doesn't effect your Pitch, chip and Putter unless its a Blowing over 25 MPH. This can be found on UK's Golf Courses.

Good Luck and hope this Helps!

Billy

• garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 7:07 AM

Hello, try looking at Golf Tips Website it has some wind tips and putting tips, green maps, course notes, ect

Gary

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 11:07 AM

I've posted several, extensive observations of my own about the parallax with skewed camera angles, wind pointer and the independent orientation of the mini map.

Briefly, from my observations, the wind vane (pointer) is relative to the camera shot. But the camera shot is not always 'linear'. Sometimes 'strait ahead' may be skewed. See more at the posts links below.

Browse all the postes at THIS thread and see if you agree, if it doesn't work for you then investigate.

Here is a small excerpt of my presumptions:

Note as you change camera angles, e.g. reverse, zoom, player, the wind pointer changes with it. But the map stays the same. So the wind pointer and map don't really 'correspond' all the time when juxtaposed.

If the camera angle is the same angle of the map then they will be congruent, but that is not always the case.

The maps are fixed in their position.

Camera angles, mostly on the approach shots, can be skewed. Sometimes player camera angles on the tee off are a little off center, but not so much.

A good habit is to place your AIM arrow in the middle, line up a 'strait shot' (seen in the top picture above, or the bottom right insert fig. 'C') to see what angle you are facing. At that same time, look at the shot line w/aim on the mini map and compare the angles. THIS IS JUST to figure out your angle.

THEN change your aim to how you want to hit the ball! (thanks, andyson, this is very important to mention)

Placing my aim forward (fig C bottom R) is just to determine the camera angle.  

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 11:28 AM

JFidanza, I never understood your analysis of the wind on Merion 15 above.  In fig. C you show your aim to be way off towards the right.  Yet in the prior photos you show the "correct wind" arrows coming from the players left or almost directly head on.  It blows my mind why you would aim right.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 11:36 AM

andyson:

JFidanza, I never understood your analysis of the wind on Merion 15 above.  In fig. C you show your aim to be way off towards the right.  Yet in the prior photos you show the "correct wind" arrows coming from the players left or almost directly head on.  It blows my mind why you would aim right.

Placing my aim forward (fig C bottom R) is just to determine the camera angle. 

So, later I did move my aim from 'camera forward' (fig' C) to the green, or pin area as proper. 

The 'aim on pin' and camera forward w/ aim forward are totally different, yes? As you see on Merion, the camera 'forward' and the aim on pin are almost perpendicular.

After you determine & calculate to correct wind & aim, place the pointer where you want to shoot. (usually in the area of the hole, natch) 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 1:25 PM

Just another point to consider concerning camera angles-

On occasion, if sometimes the player camera angle is not LOS (line of sight), from 'eyes to the green', it may be a challenge when you try to determine your current surroundings. (e.g. trees, hazards, slope of FW and green, etc.)

You can see from the middle pic above of Merion (middle left) when the aim is on the green / hole it looks like I'm hitting into trees. Now, this is obviously not the case, but it shows that sometimes the 'player view' is not LOS.

For example, on other courses, (esp. Congressional with the narrow FWs and dog legs w/ tree lines) I may find myself in the FW rough (off to the left or right) and I may perceive a tree obstruction in my shot where there is none, or vice versa. This is fostered by the skewed camera angle.

Then I can use the zoom with the mini map and other camera angles to get a picture of my true surroundings.

If your browser supports it you can zoom closer on the map if you have the need.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:21 PM

Well, you took an extreme case to explain how you analyze it.

I try to keep it simple in those extreme cases.  I look for the camera view that best points from the ball to the pin.  In the Merion #15 case above, that camera view is the one behind the green.  That's almost right down the line from ball to pin.

The rear camera shows the wind at 11 o'clock.  That means at the ball we have a  15mph headwind at 5 o'clock and adjust power and aim from that.

Just use a camera view that is closest to the line from ball to pin and adjust for any "parallax" from there.

RSS