62....Amazing...but how....

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 15 2009 7:09 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • thelmer
    7 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:07 PM

Hi all,

OK....I've got to ask since I've been obsessing just trying to reach the 71 cut line for pride's sake...

Tibetts...many congrats on your 62...but how....how did you get to 8 under??? A couple of miraculous shots...another eagle someplace? 8 birds and no bogies? Are you located close to the server for this game so you don't get the "hiccups" and "stalls" us mere mortals deal with...a secret "mouse" with pinpoint accuracy...

...or just a marvelous trigger finger to hit it exactly where you want it to go :)

...I'm just guessing, but I would think having superior computer equipment might help so that there is a little less guess work. Actually, my laptop is working better for this game than the desktop...and the desktop is located closer to my router!!! I'm dozens of feet away from my router...is it that maybe??? who knows

Any theories out there to share? Congrats to those who are under par...quite an accomplishment.

Tom

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:26 PM

It's pretty simple really... no mistakes. You don't have to have eagles, hole outs etc., but don't bogey anything. There are about 7 birdies holes out there, and a few more with the right wind. I've had 7 birdies, but brought the bogeys with them. Every one of those were avoidable, it's just me not hitting the mark or doing something stupid, which happens more than I would like to admit. You just have to be on your game and get no bad breaks.

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:33 PM

I agree.  I had 6 birdies today, but 5 bogies.  I actually only hit 7 "perfect" shots.  So when you are on target, pick the right club and read the wind/elevation it can be done.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:44 PM

Thanks Tom.   It's true that having a computer that is up to the specs the game demands, an internet connection that is fast and stable, and a browser that provides smooth game play are all must-haves to even give yourself a chance at scring well consistently.   Outside of those things, however, lie the keys to the game, and those are:

• Know the course.  Bethpage is filled with pitfalls that can get you over par in a hurry.  Knowing where to hit, or where not to hit as the case may be, keep you in the places where you need to be to approach things correctly.
    • Know your clubs.  I use the Tour Starter set, and while there are many other sets available now that have greater distance, I know these clubs inside and out.  Knowing what to expect out of your clubs lets you guage just what you can get away with, and lets you set up your course management properly, avoiding as many in-between distances as possible.  It's not just about getting up there and whacking the ball as far as you can all the time.  Sometimes it's better not to do that.
    • Know your shots.  So much of Bethpage is about getting up and down.  You have to know all of your shots...full, punch, pitch, flop, chip... and what to expect out of them in all conditions.  This allows you to choose the right shot and be able to hit it with confidence, even if you're in a bad place.
    • Learn to putt.  Seems self-apparent, but bottom line is:  If you can't putt, you can't score.  Period

Hope that helps a bit.  Good luck!

• thelmer
    7 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 8:37 PM

Thanks for all the insights...I've applied much of it already...I really think I need a better connection..

Maybe I'll bring my laptop closer to the router to see if it improves things. I know I can make the cut...I've par every hole at least once or twice..and birdied 1, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 14...so yeah it is possible....but frustrating when the signal "hiccups" and I make sure I just take a "practice swing" hah!

Hope to see you here on the 22nd...

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 9:05 PM

Keep with it!!  Mentally you should break the game inbto chunks.  Try to get yourself to -3 for the front 9 which I find easier then the back nine.  That gives you some margin of error for the back nine.

Hope to see you on the 22nd!

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 4:18 PM

Great tips! Thanks for posting...

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 7:12 PM

Well that pretty much settles it because i surely cant putt.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 7:32 PM

I've said it elsewhere, but it bears repeating here.  If you can get the chance to see Tibbets scorecard, look very carefully at his putt total.

When he says "Learn to Putt" he is not just blowing smoke rings... 1 round = 18 putts total.  18!  EIGHTTEEN PUTTS TOTAL!

1-putt  16

2-putt  1

Hole-out 1

Had Tibbets 2-putted 25% of his 1-putts, he shoots 68.  Half is 70.  Average golfer range.

The reason he shoots 62, 63, 64 is so obvious.  It's called the "1-putt'.

• fancyfeet4
    23 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 7:22 AM

I think you need to try and get under par quick.  The first 4 arent hard to par at worst, and you can try and get 1 or 2 under.  Then hold on and make good pars on the hard holes (easier said than done).  I also think there are some easier holes on the back nine.  The par 5 is possible, as well as the short par 3.  I shot a 69 the other day and was +2 after 9. 

I am not at the level of Tibbets, or the elite players, but he is right about learning the course.  One side of the fairways is better than another on many holes.  Also, learn where to place your ball.   A 7 footer up hill and straight is easier than a 4 footer with break sometimes.   Lastly, get a good feel for the rough.  I am really good at my LW, even out of 25% or greater rough.  I have a good feel for the distance and am usaully within 5-10 ft, and can make the putt. 

• PAGES
RSS