Forums

Help › Forums

Open Tournament Just ain't Fair!!

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:39 AM (20 replies)
  • LesJ
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 4:00 PM

Not all of us are in a position to have clubs that you can buy, but then when you have a the Starter clubs, man lets play some putt putt!!!!!!! Sorry guys, but this is not fair to the ones who are stuck with Starters and that is not right. I was starting to tell people about WGT at the golf courses that I play at, and sorry, wouldn't recommend this to my friends. Closest to the pin is the only fair one, but then same type of clubs, by the time you figure out what the starter clubs can do, tournaments are over. I think I'll stick with the real thing. at least after 12 years of back at it after taking a sabatical for over 25 plus years, and coming from a scratch golfer on both sides, to staying a lefty, and finally breaking 80 and getting better, much much more fun, but I am competitive and will see if they can do something about having a 525 yrd par 4 with the starter clubs that don't even reach the fairway on the first drive. I was hitting 300 yarders way back in the days with the old wooden drivers from yester years. Yea, I am that old, but with todays tech., still cabable of hitting the average of 260 yards, and some to 300 yards, now and then. Let's take Furyk. He doesn't hit the bombs but he still hits them 250 plus, and that gives him more than enough chance, sometimes, lolol. By the way, I'm the big guy on the right of my picture and the son on the left. He's trying.

GOD BLESS!!

• Griz0613
    80 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:36 PM

You aren't stuck with the starters unless you choose to be.... You can pay 20 dollars max for a set of clubs and be competitive. Tiger woods game is gonna run you around $50... you're still coming out $30 ahead with a chance to win trips and gift cards.... What more can you ask for, stop crying and enjoy the game.

• LesJ
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:48 PM

Hey Griz!

Obiviously you really didn't read what I said. I do not have a choice, I just cannot do anything because I have no cards of any type since you need to know the truth. I do not play any other games at all, and I always rather play the real thing. It was a fact about what I was saying Griz. No need to say I'm complaining, just stating facts. Even with the worst clubs that you can buy, I know I can hit them over 250 yards. Believe me, this is not crying, I could just walk away from this and not recommend it to anyone. But hey, who are you to judge me anyway Griz!!!!!!!

GOD BLESS!!

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 8:02 PM

With all due respect Griz, I don't like the fact that a FREE game all but requires one to purchase upgraded clubs (and make it no longer FREE) to be competitive in a contest. Does this game require much more skill than most golf games? Absolutely. However, I just had a round at Bethpage where my Tour Starter drive, hit perfectly with a 13 mph tailwind, still didn't reach the fairway on #5. And it wasn't like I missed the closest section of fairway, either. Just wouldn't have made it. Period. With an upgraded driver. Now maybe the R9 or TaylorMade driver would have made it. I don't know.

However, to say that for less than $20 you can purchase upgraded equipment and be competitive is crap. The upgraded equipment simply gives you the same playing field others with the equipment have. Still requires a lot of skill to shoot under par scores, but I know I have a chance of making the fairway on #10 instead of hoping and praying that it gives me the 15 mph tailwind and I hit a perfect drive and still end up just short of the fairway in heavy rough requiring two shots to GET to a layup.

• MElli22631
    32 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 9:00 PM

I think people have the wrong idea - this is a business and the model is to make money. Yes they offer people the opportunity to play the game for free and could do so as much as they like. But the larger picture, WGT desgined this game to make a profit. That wil come in either upgrades and advertising. Tiger, Links etc all cost money up front to play - this has the profit after they hook you. You have the right to walk away and owe nothing. I think most people who really enjoy the game and want to see it grow realize they will have to contribute something - nothing is free sadly.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2009 9:24 PM

Hit the punch shot  when in the rough, with your 3w, and it will run up the fairway for your approach shot!!

• LesJ
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 4:40 AM

Aha! You are so right Mosherkl, this is a business, and I did forget that it was. I was having FUN, and in the closest to the pin, it still is. Greed does have it's way with people. Some forget about the fun part and see that it is a profit, etc.,etc.. Have to agree as well about costing you the $20 just to get a set of clubs that will help you do better in a FREE tourney. I have never seen a 525 yard par 4 before, even for 13 to 16 handicappers. I know the pros can hit bombs, but then, that is why they get free stuff, so they can hit those bombs. Hopefully though soon, I will be able to catch up with things and maybe get some better clubs, but until then. IT JUST AIN'T FAIR!!!!!!! Hopefully, though, because of my competitiveness, and the wind behind me, lolol, I might pop in to see if "THEY" are listening. Simple Facts. In any case, Y'all have a great day!

GOD BLESS!!

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 7:10 AM

Les

"I was starting to tell people about WGT at the golf courses that I play at, and sorry, wouldn't recommend this to my friends."

If you have money to play a round of real golf then you have the money to buy some new clubs.  You do not need to have a credit card to purchase the clubs either.  Go to Target, Walmart, or any other big box store and buy a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express gift card.  I recommend the american express gift card due to the bonus credits offer but any of these will work.

• CGates
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 12:07 PM

I agree with LesJ and mosherkl that this is a bit of false advertising. I understand that WGT is a for-profit business venture, but the U.S. Open "free" tournament is basically false advertising. If you want to play for free, you have absolutely NO chance at winning the prizes. However, I don't blam WGT, I blame the USGA. The USGA should have required WGT to design the free US Open tournament so that everybody plays with equal clubs. As it is now, spending money is the only way to have a chance.

• LesJ
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 1:22 PM

Thanks Mosherkl, but then even when you get one of those, don't you need a bank account, Don't have one of those anymore either, due to a tainted past. Thus I wouldn't want my past known either. Thanks for the suggestion, but until I can catch up with past cards, no can do. Once again, reality hits hard for credit. There is nothing wrong pointing out facts to everyone. Sheesh, just because y'all have great rounds so far, it's amazing how y'all pick on the ones who remain trying to stay free. Didn't they say they were going to make things more even for everyone?????? Besides, real golf is more fun anyway. I do not always sit in front of a computer to play games....Not saying everyone does,... but then, that is another forum, lololol????!!!!

GOD BLESS!!

RSS