Forums

Help › Forums

Open Tournament Just ain't Fair!!

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:39 AM (20 replies)
  • WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 2:18 PM

Call the Guinness Book of records.  We have to have the largest concentration of magical 300 yard hitters.  It also appears to be the people who think the game is unfair, that are the scratch from the tips golfers with their 300 yard bombs.

The bottom line with this game as with anything is it takes practice.  You can hit a 70 with the starter clubs if you play a perfect round.  They give you a month to practice for free.

No one cares what you "could do" in the old days, or what you think you can do at your local course.  Everyone is on 100% level playing field here.  The game they play here is about choices, and execution.  Make the right choice and execute properly.  Thats it.

So rather then complain about things not in your control, why dont you master things that are within.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 3:06 PM

Wow... Logic, clear thinking, and common sense.

Watertrap, how dare you bring those elements to this thread!!   /grin

• LesJ
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 4:30 AM

Once again, it amazes me how y'all think they way you do. I said I was competitive, didn't I. It doesn't matter to me what you think about the old days either my friend. Yesterday got old for yopu real quick didn't it. What counts is what I've done, and STILL doing. This game is suppose to be realistic, or am I under the assumption that you think because of my older days, that I can't read either , lolol. Yes with pratice comes almost perfection, Let me ask you common sensers, how long do you sit in front of a computer? Does your computer and your perfectionism, always do what you want it to do, with this internet game? Does it ever have a glitch when your shooting that perfect round? My common sense tells me that even with my lighting fast internet connection, and I have a 3 birdie in a row going round, eveything is working great, and then all of a sudden, mind you not my connection(???) the game all of a sudden as you hit that perfect drive, because you hear the tone of a perfect drive, and then watch the ball go left, or right. But of course, it is just a game after all right. Stop complaining about the facts of what I have seen in this game. Common sense tells me when you state facts, truth comes to my mind. not complaning, but then uh oh, there is that commn sense again, lolol. Y'all have a very Blessed Day!

GOD BLESS!!

• casique1
    370 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 5:16 AM

eh god has nothing to do with it,,,, 

are 20 $ to much for a hobby ?

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 8:39 AM

As you have asked many questions I will respond accordingly.

"Let me ask you common sensers, how long do you sit in front of a computer?"

As with anything it takes a long time to perfect.  I sit in front of my computer way to much, for work, and also for games.

"Does your computer and your perfectionism, always do what you want it to do, with this internet game?"

I suggest you do a forum search on DEVIATION.  As well lok up the minimum SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS, as well as the FAQ on clearing cache, trying other browsers, turning off background applications etc.

As I said above this game is about choices and execution.  If something does not work on the game 90% of the time it is because of a poor choice or a poor execution.  It is a poor choice when I "think" it will do something but that is not the way it works.  For example a punch rolling to far, or a flop pushing right.  Those are all elements of the game.

"Does it ever have a glitch when your shooting that perfect round?"

Yes this happens ALL the time.  The computer appears to "fart" or lock. Just like when Tiger is going to take a swing, and someone takes a picture in his backswing he stops, and resets.  Same thing here.  You need to learn how to let the bar go through and allow the practice swing.  I played Snaike yesterday and he said that is the one thing he is trying to master on this game, is letting the bar slide through if it even stutters a bit.   I agree with him.

"Common sense tells me when you state facts, truth comes to my mind. not complaning, but then uh oh, there is that commn sense again, lolol."

Common sense tells me that to become a top player in anything, sport, work, life, game, or relationships you need to put the work in.  You need to do your due diligence.  You need to spend the time.  Learn the small details.  The quirks.   If you are out for instantaneous success try gambling.

When people talk here about their 300 yard drives, and all that, they forget to mention that the scores they shoot here, and the accuracy here is way above what they can do on a regular course.  Without going into my own details, if I could play half as well on a real course, from the MIDDLE tee's I would be like a kid in a candy store.

I also know it took me years to learn how to chip, putt, drive.  Here it takes someone a fraction of the time.  So becareful when you draw similarities and conclusions that dont apply.

If you look through the archives there are always people complaining this is not fair.  If you don't like it, don't play.

Sorry for the tone, I see many of these message types, and it is frustrating. 

By the way.  What is a Y'All?  :)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 12:39 PM

Hey Water.. from what I remember from my days in the south... "Y'all" is singular and "All Y'all" is plural.  =D

Now, back to the conversation at hand.  There is something called "the beast" here at WGT.  Do a search for it.  "The Beast" is that little random variable built into every shot that can make the perfect hit, from the perfect lie, with the perfect club, on the perfect day, travel many degrees off course.  It is, to say the very least, one of THE most irritating and wonderful things about this game.

You will never hit that perfect shot in your real life unless your name is Eldrick Woods.  And (this may be a bit sacrilegious) even he can't hit them perfect every time.  Golf is, I must say, a game of luck.  You can't control where the ball goes all the time... a couple blades of grass between your club head and the ball, the rock just under your ball just as you hit... the hack in the next fairway shouting FORE as your about to impact....  there are millions of variables.

WGT build those into the game and it's a good thing, imho.  I don't want to play Tiger Woods 2000-09 where every shot, including changing the rate and direction of the spin in midair is not only possible, but almost required.

Just my 2¢...   Cheers

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 1:09 PM

It's a tradeoff in order to maintain higher scores on BPB.

If the regular starter clubs went 250+ yards, we'd be seeing -10 scores from everyone.   Considering shooting par on BPB during the Open tourny is considered a great round, -10 here from a large amount of players would be unrealistic.  

So the options to inflate scoring are reducing driving distance, or reducing accuracy.   The last time they made a change here that reduced accuracy, there was a near riot on these forums.

• LesJ
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 4:03 PM

Well, it would appear that there are alot of disgruntled and gruntled and common sensers and whatever else everybody wants to say about the forum I started. Since I found out that I came over to there forum, I will answer people on the forum I started with. First and foremost, to the guy who said God doesn't have anything to do with this. I will pray for you. If it wasn't for God, I would not be here to type this. Now for the rest of "Y'ALL".  which is a way of saying you all, or in New York, where I was born, youse guys, or in Pittsburgh Pa, where I graduated High School, "UINS", and of course for the common sensers, "people". Of course, Water, it would be the same as , "hey Hosers", well at least that gives away my age as well. There is no tone for I do not get offended  for people who do not know me, or choose to attack me in there way of typing either. If you choose to make fun of the subject, in truth, you don't really have to much to say, other than what you don't know. If this was a fair game, which is what this all began to say, with starters clubs or the top of the line clubs that people can buy, then nobody would have answered my forum the way some of you have. Now, Watertap, 69 and in 36 position, no wonder you have alot to say, no wander your being protective. This game is created to be just like the real thing, but if the advantage goes to you because you have better clubs and I cannot purchase them as of yet, then it really isn't a fair game at all. is it. Think now, since I am a 13 handicapper in real life and then come to be introduced to this via the USGA membership that I have, and when it first came out, even though I wasn't practicing enough, or learning the glitches in a virtual world of perfection, which is basically what we all want, but since I know for a fact that some of my friends who are nothing but computer techs and programmers, and who have told me everything that you said, and even more, have stated, that if the owners wanted to, they could do exactly what we want them to, but then, where is the profit in that. This is a money making game for them, and as long as we have guys who insist that they is a better way or if ya can't afford it, stay away from the forums. As for the simialrities, it is the fact that Tiger can do that but we can't. Thus as you say, Water, practice. I agree with you all the way, and gambling isn't the answer either, lolol. The thing is, I do like it but it isn't complaining once again, it is just not being fair. Why does everyone think that stating a fact, is complaining. Complaining is exactly what y'all have been doing, because I said it wasn't fair based on facts, which is the truth mind you, not a complaint. If you think stating the truth is a complaint..........................Marioh, that is why I stepped away from the game for awhile, because of all of the complaints of it not being fair, but then during this forum, someone mentioned that it is a way for the owners to make money, and there it is, the truth of it all. It is an online game for free, but if you want to improve, pay for it. Guys, I really just started out by stating the facts, not complaints or gripes or anything like that. Some of choose to snapped back at me because, well, who was doing the complaining first. I stated the truth. Actually, I wasn't even thinking to much of myself, but as others in the same position as I am in. According to what I read from the very beginning before I stated all of this to see if I wanted to play in the first place, it is a game so realistic to the real thing, it will be like your really playing. Sorry Water for your imperfect golf game in real life, and personally, I really do hope you get out more and play, before the cold come back, and enjoy the game itself, and the surrounding, etc., etc. Bottom line, have a great day or night and hit them well.

GOD BLESS!!

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 6:12 PM

Sniff sniff.....Do i smell some hostility? Keep it friendly guys. Haha! you both make good points though.

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Wed, Jun 10 2009 8:26 PM

With respect, I still see nothing based on what you have stated that remotely demonstrates this game is unfair, even to a fractional degree.

Per your verbose response, allow me to retort.

" Well, it would appear that there are alot of disgruntled and gruntled and common sensers and whatever else everybody wants to say about the forum I started"

This is not a forum.  It is a topic within a forum.  I do not see anyone as being disgruntled, just differing opinions.  An opinion differing from you does not mean it is not common sense.  it is different.

"First and foremost, to the guy who said God doesn't have anything to do with this. I will pray for you. If it wasn't for God, I would not be here to type this."

Out of respect for all belief systems I implore you to keep your conversations secular wherever possible.  If someone does not share your beliefs that does not mean they are disgruntled, don't have common sense, or lack spirituality.  They have a different opinion.

"hey Hosers",

With respect, I find that reference tasteless and uneducated.

"If you choose to make fun of the subject, in truth, you don't really have to much to say, other than what you don't know."

Interesting contention that you feel a bit of comedy means lack of knowledge.  I respectfully disagree.

"If this was a fair game, which is what this all began to say, with starters clubs or the top of the line clubs that people can buy, then nobody would have answered my forum the way some of you have."

Please confirm.  I understand based on the above statement that as a result of me responding to your  original post, that in itself confirms this game is unfair?  I fail to see the logic, in addition I fail to see how this game is unfair as stated above.

"Watertap, 69 and in 36 position, no wonder you have alot to say, no wander your being protective."

Interesting deduction.  I will point out that I have been active in the forum promoting the changes, and the difficulty long before I achieved the aforementioned score.  In addition you failed to post I shot  80 and 77.   I support the position because I support great business ideas, found on fantastic principles, with significant support, and response.    Not because I am protecting my 69 to make sure I get my USGA membership prize, which by the way is useless to me in Canada. 

"This game is created to be just like the real thing, but if the advantage goes to you because you have better clubs and I cannot purchase them as of yet, then it really isn't a fair game at all. is it."

I fail to see the logic in this at all.  My buddy has an R9 driver and some great irons.  I do not.  Does that mean it is not fair?  He uses Pro V-1, I use Warbird.  Is that not fair?  Since when did the USGA say all players must use the exact same equipment.  I did not get that memo.  If this is REAL, then adding new clubs, and brands to the Pro Shop makes it MORE real.  Clearly I am not getting what you are saying so please elaborate.

"Think now, since I am a 13 handicapper in real life"

Makes no difference here, other then you should know what a punch, flop, pitch, and chip are.  I don't understand why people want to announce their  own handicaps here.  But you have, so you clearly know how long it took you to get to that level.  Looking at your last posted scores here on WGT from Feb, you are shooting much better here then a +13 in real life, and that is  with the starter clubs.  How is this not fair? For your reference your scores..

02.17.09      Kiawah Resort Challenge Front 9 Hack      37
    02.17.09 Feb WGT International Open Front 9    
    Hack      35
    02.17.09 Wk 8 Stroke Play Tournament Front 9 Hack      39

"Thus as you say, Water, practice. I agree with you all the way,"

Out of respect then why have you not posted a proper game score since feb.  All you play and record scores is the closest to the pin.  You have not played even a full 9 round of Bethpage so why do you have any basis for your concerns?  Play and record 10 rounds and then see where you are.  You can not pas judgment unless you have truly experiences it.  If you post  a few scores on Bethpage, then your points bring more merit.

"The thing is, I do like it but it isn't complaining once again, it is just not being fair. Why does everyone think that stating a fact, is complaining. Complaining is exactly what y'all have been doing, because I said it wasn't fair based on facts, which is the truth mind you, not a complaint. If you think stating the truth is a complaint.........................."

Once again with respect, you have not demonstrated one clear thought as to why you think this is unfair.  Add to the fact you have not completed a full game and I wonder where the basis of your position is.  Please elaborate.

"I stated the truth."

This is a business.  So of course they need to monetize the users.  What about the programmers, and the hardware?  Who pays for that?  This is what we call a high traffic multi-monetized web presence.   Stunning observation that they want to make money.  And that makes it unfair?  I am afraid I dont follow.

RSS