What is forgiveness and whats it value

Wed, Mar 22 2023 3:20 PM (24 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 1:39 PM

ApexPC:

FAQ Home

Pro Shop

Avg. Distance: Displays the average distance the ball will travel when hit at full strength on a flat surface and with no wind

Trajectory: Indicates the general height of the ball flight

Precision: Defines generally how close to the aiming point the ball will land based on where you hit on the swing meter

Forgiveness: Displays how much Distance and Precision the ball will lose if not hit perfectly

Shot Shaping: Displays the level of "workability" of the club to move the ball left or right during flight

Spin: Defines the level of spin the club will transfer to the ball. A ball with more spin will stop faster on the green

Meter Speed: Indicates the speed at which the swing meter moves, the lower the number the faster the meter will move.

Ok I get everything, with the exception off precision which is a bunch of crap , but forgiveness is telling me how much I will lose and not forgive? Then why call it forgiveness 

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 1:45 PM

OK then tell me how much will I lose percentage wise in distance and precision per 1 % of miss ding.

In other words 1% of miss ding = +/- ? % of power

1% of miss ding = +/- ? % of precision

Don't just give me a forgiveness number ( 3.5) and not tell me what that means there has to be a%  to that number that you will lose,if thats what it truly means 

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 1:57 PM

Woodoworkery:
    OK then tell me how much will I lose percentage wise in distance and precision per 1 % of miss ding.

The Pizza mod said back in the day that VEM was very much in play in this game. A "crucial" element if my memory serves. That being said... when you read through the patent description of how VEM operates, it would seem that 'forgiveness' would be one of the variables that would be affected by your perceived skill level at the time. So, even if your putter has a high forgiveness rating, if you have been playing well, VEM would supposedly shrink the 'sweet spot'. My take on it is that your 3.5 forgiveness rating is just the mean for that club, it could be 4.0 one day and 3.0 the next. My take may be WAY off as well...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:01 PM

MBaggese:

Lol...Significant Other

Was trying to be politically Correct;)

I heard that if the SO is kept entirely on the starter club the question will never come up

• WGTyphoon
    597 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:15 PM

ApexPC:

FAQ Home

Pro Shop

Avg. Distance: Displays the average distance the ball will travel when hit at full strength on a flat surface and with no wind

Precision: Defines generally how close to the aiming point the ball will land based on where you hit on the swing meter

Forgiveness: Displays how much Distance and Precision the ball will lose if not hit perfectly

Shot Shaping: Displays the level of "workability" of the club to move the ball left or right during flight

Spin: Defines the level of spin the club will transfer to the ball. A ball with more spin will stop faster on the green

Meter Speed: Indicates the speed at which the swing meter moves, the lower the number the faster the meter will move.

Very good work. ApexPC beat me to it. 

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:24 PM

WGTyphoon:

ApexPC:

FAQ Home

Pro Shop

Very good work. ApexPC beat me to it. 

But that still tells me nothing about how much I may lose. What do those ratings mean in % of loss

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:31 PM

There is not a exact percentage that can be given.  There are more factors involved then just miss the ding by this much and you shot will end up with this percentage.  Wind, elevation, and which club your using are just some of the different variations that can come into play. 

- WGTdbloshoe

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:34 PM

So I take it you won't give an answer. Why ? Can it be any worse than giving a rating and not defining what the rating is worth ,

I am not asking for a definite concrete % ,just an avg of what to expect . Was just curious,I like to associate things with numbers . 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:35 PM

GlassMan27:

Woodoworkery:

. when you read through the patent description of how VEM operates, it would seem that 'forgiveness' would be one of the variables that would be affected by your perceived skill level at the time.

I concur with this view, and that's why I've read the patent, and much of the way the game operates is very 'consistent' and I don't have many questions or gripes about how the game works.

And thanks to all the loads of info from the others on here which explain the spheres of precision and forgiveness, randomization, etc. See all the results from all the experience and testing by trying the effective WGT search function, too.

I will emphasis GlassMan again : "one of the variables that would be affected by your perceived skill level "

"Different 'strokes' for different folks. "  

edit:

Woodoworkery:

So I take it you won't give an answer. Why ? Can it be any worse than giving a rating and not defining what the rating is worth ,

I am not asking for a definite concrete % ,just an avg of what to expect . Was just curious,I like to associate things with numbers . 

Because that number varies, it is a certain amount but it is dependent on other factors, one being your skill level figured by said patent (find it, read it) so there is no set % because it's always changing.

The easiest way, in my experience, has been to go and try it in practice mode. But I had to make the purchase, and see for myself. This was part of the sacrifice but in the end I was glad that I did it because I was completely certain of the data because I tested it first hand.

Glassman again:

"when you read through the patent description of how VEM operates, it would seem that 'forgiveness' would be one of the variables that would be affected by your perceived skill level at the time."

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:46 PM

Woodoworkery:

I did give you a answer.  There is not a number that I can give due to their being multiple factors that go into it. 

- WGTdbloshoe

RSS