Forums

Help › Forums

What is forgiveness and whats it value

Wed, Mar 22 2023 3:20 PM (24 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 10:17 AM

OK  please explain forgiveness , and whats it value. In other words I have the most forgiveness you can get in a putter 3.5. Now what is the tolerance for that 3.5? Is it 5% miss ding on either side ,is it 10% ? What is the % value

Thanks

Gary (woodo) 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 10:44 AM

Heck, I thought you were talking about when ya pizzed off your SO;)

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 10:46 AM

WHO??????

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 10:51 AM

Lol...Significant Other

Was trying to be politically Correct;)

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 11:13 AM

LOL, OK  well do you know the answer? 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 11:17 AM

I don't know how to miss the ding by 5% in a personal relation ;)

(nor how to measure it with the meter)

Me thinks that more forgiveness means that a certain misshit results in less landing deviation. No numerical rule known here.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 11:18 AM

Woodoworkery:

LOL, OK  well do you know the answer? 

Sorry Gary, I don't.

But I agree with Alosso.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 12:48 PM

The reason I was asking today I was in a few RGs the putts I was missing was unexplainable. 

Putts within 8 feet very little break and was missing the ding (not on purpose ) by the width of the ding mark which is less than 5 % and  the ball was lipping out or just riding on the edge of the cup.

Well I thought thats where your forgiveness was suppose to kick in, so I checked my putter rating and it was one of the highest rated for forgiveness

So I said WTF there has to be a tolerance +/- some % that you can miss the ding and your forgiveness kicks in. Well as stated before these putts were very makable putts and the forgiveness factor should have kicked in. Unless it's a bunch of BS and there is no such thing as forgiveness.

Alosso it is very easy to know where 5,10,20 and so no %s are on your swing metere.

Just measure the meter ,go to a cad program draw it to scale  and start dividing . I have mine broke down to 12.5  %    25%   38%   50%   62.5%   75%    88%     100% on both sides of the ding line

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 1:04 PM

OIC! This is new to me. It may be one reason why I'm 67-something average.

I use a %% scale for meter power but not for dinging and off-dinging.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 1:08 PM

FAQ Home

Pro Shop

Avg. Distance: Displays the average distance the ball will travel when hit at full strength on a flat surface and with no wind

Trajectory: Indicates the general height of the ball flight

Precision: Defines generally how close to the aiming point the ball will land based on where you hit on the swing meter

Forgiveness: Displays how much Distance and Precision the ball will lose if not hit perfectly

Shot Shaping: Displays the level of "workability" of the club to move the ball left or right during flight

Spin: Defines the level of spin the club will transfer to the ball. A ball with more spin will stop faster on the green

Meter Speed: Indicates the speed at which the swing meter moves, the lower the number the faster the meter will move.

RSS