Help › Forums

Need help with chipping distances

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 21 2014 3:03 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CStaddon
    48 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 1:13 PM

I've finally lost the will to live with the 2nd on Pinehurst 2. I roll off the green (who doesn't...) - and am left with an uphill chip to the pin,  8 feet away. How is it that a 3/4 swing on a 12 yard setting gets halfway up - then the ball rolls back to where I'm standing... yet a smidgen more power than that and it flies past the hole as if fired by a rocket launcher...  finishing 10 yards past the pin? What am I doing wrong?

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 1:58 PM

Not sure where you are left on the green.  This is with standard greens, off to the right side.  I can chip pretty fair.  Had the uphill as you stated.  I chipped what I thought to be correct and ended up with same result, short and rolled back, but did not roll all the way back to me.

Putted the ball back off the green to about the same spot.  Used pitch this time and you can see the result.

We do have a considerable difference of wedges and balls.  But I think you can get the idea of what to try.

Gary

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=384c32d5-a547-453f-8ef9-a3510157b77c

edit..maybe as a suggestion.  Noticed you have rental clubs in your bag.  Keep a driver and 3 wood, dump the rescue, and use a 3rd wedge.  Look at the bags of top players and most do not carry a hybred or rescue clue.  There will be 3 wedges.  I am not a top player, but if you look at mine you will see wedges of 60,80,100 yards and pitching wedge of 120 with my club set.  Try to balance your yardage with your clubs.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 2:01 PM

Problem #1 is your Starter wedges - their chipping incapabilities can only be mastered by a Tour Legend (I know one!) but not by a - sorry - beginner. Get yourself two (maybe three) good custom wedges!

Problem #2 is chipping uphill. I stopped this totally, too unpredictable. Instead, I pitch the ball with about 2 ft more length. It works well on RSG#9 from the right side of the pin, and RSG#18 from the left.

Problem #3 is Pinehurst. These turtleback greens are devilish - accept unpredictable predictions.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 2:09 PM

CStaddon:

I've finally lost the will to live with the 2nd on Pinehurst 2. I roll off the green (who doesn't...) - and am left with an uphill chip to the pin,  8 feet away. How is it that a 3/4 swing on a 12 yard setting gets halfway up - then the ball rolls back to where I'm standing... yet a smidgen more power than that and it flies past the hole as if fired by a rocket launcher...  finishing 10 yards past the pin? What am I doing wrong?

hi

I am guessing what happens is, when you add little more power, it covers the uphill (on the fly) and then lands and releases. If you end up on a fringe, I would recommend using a power. it's much more precise/consistent. It may take you a few tries to get the right power setting, but once you do, you will be close every time.

-wgticon

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 2:32 PM

WGTicon:
    If you end up on a fringe, I would recommend using a power.

Which power, or is the force with you? Luke, is it you? Am I your father??

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 2:47 PM

Icon once said fridge when he meant fringe, so if he says power perhaps he means putter. So in this case perhaps the OP should try a power from the fridge, lol.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 2:51 PM

CStaddon:
    I've finally lost the will to live with the 2nd on Pinehurst 2. I roll off the green (who doesn't...) - and am left with an uphill chip to the pin,

It is doable with practice. I tried it from the Golf Courses Link and played that hole. Not sure I'm in the right spot. But here it is Chip in #2 Pinehurst

• PAGES
RSS