Forums

Help › Forums

Heavy Winds

Tue, Aug 9 2022 4:06 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 12:46 PM

I played Glenmorangie a little while ago and, man, those winds just left me dumbfounded.  How does one tell whether that 30 mph tailwind will carry your drive an extra 10 yds or 60 yds?  Or, in my case, will that 25 mph headwind cut your 45 yd punch shot down to 40 yds or (in my case, flat fairway to flat green, no spin) 25 yds?  The 27 mph cross-tailwind, say 10:30, that adds no distance at all??? Clearly, loft plays some part and, as I use Tour SD balls, I'm getting a bit less loft than most in my tier (Legend).  There are plenty of nice scores on the leaderboard so obviously some folks get it but I'm completely clueless.  Thoughts, anyone?  Thanks very much.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 4:49 PM

As far as I see, heavy wind requires that one be experienced in everyday play, be pretty darn good and be very lucky in the gale force wind. As far as being able to pinpoint any repeatable exactness, it doesn't exist. The lower scores are a good player with great mystery fortune.

• Bruntski
    43 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 5:00 PM

Very rough going in that setting. When i see scores like 52 and 53 posted i just SMH. It seems unattainable due to simple fact of it not being a normal playing condition. Hats off to the low scores...Bravo! 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 5:40 PM

Robbo81303:
    I played Glenmorangie a little while ago and, man

I also played this tournament on the false premise that I was going to get a bottle of Glenmorangie for playing....so far it has not arrived but belive a golf ball was put in my bag.

Hey I hardly ever drink but a bottle would be  appreciated  when friends come over.

As for the winds, yes heavy winds can be brutal - ask any  golfer  who has played in high winds at a links course in the UK. On here no exception and the players who score well are the ones who have practiced a huge amount and have thousands of rounds behind them.

I am not one of them lol, but be warned if you wear a toupee, good luck. 

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 9:26 PM
    Manx courses are great when it's windy. You can hit a wedge to the green and then look behind you for the ball.
  • Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Sat, Apr 5 2014 3:26 AM

Many thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I guess I'll just tighten down the cap & have at it some more.  Happy Hitting!

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:56 AM

High winds? Lizard69 - Nuff said  ;)

• Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2022 1:58 AM

Well, 8 years later & I'm still stumped.  If you drive your car into a 20 mph headwind it will travel a much shorter distance on a tank of fuel than it will if travelling with a 20 mph tailwind.  An airplane will travel much further and faster with a tailwind than a headwind. So why, why, WHY does a 200 yd iron shot with a L81 TM ball go 15 yards further into a 25 mph headwind than it does with an equally strong tailwind?  Physics says complete utter bullshyt with a vengeance!  How does one figure winds with irons, wedges & quality balls?  Range balls don't pull this crap.  Nor do drivers or woods.  Help please!

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2022 5:50 AM

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2022 6:25 AM

Robbo81303:

Well, 8 years later & I'm still stumped.  If you drive your car into a 20 mph headwind it will travel a much shorter distance on a tank of fuel than it will if travelling with a 20 mph tailwind.  An airplane will travel much further and faster with a tailwind than a headwind. So why, why, WHY does a 200 yd iron shot with a L81 TM ball go 15 yards further into a 25 mph headwind than it does with an equally strong tailwind?  Physics says complete utter bullshyt with a vengeance!  How does one figure winds with irons, wedges & quality balls?  Range balls don't pull this crap.  Nor do drivers or woods.  Help please!

Hello. Next time hitting a 4 iron with 20+ mph tail/head, check the apex in the toptracer. The answer is there.

• PAGES
RSS