Help › Forums

Heavy Winds

Tue, Aug 9 2022 4:06 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Thu, Aug 4 2022 3:37 AM

Yiannis1970:
    Next time hitting a 4 iron with 20+ mph tail/head, check the apex in the toptracer. The answer is there.

That would be fine in a vacuum but there are forces that are supposed to be acting on the ball.  The higher trajectory in a headwind should mean there's more time for the wind to exert its force, therefore shorter distances, not longer.  This works on downhill approaches (and, conversely uphills have less wind effect).  Likewise, the ball has a lower trajectory with a tailwind, which would meam a shorter distance shot in a vacuum, but there's a strong force pushing the ball forward as well.

Moreover, woods & drivers behave differently.That makes no sense as their trajectory, while lower, is still affected similarly, yet they go further with a tailwind.  Plus the fact that wind speeds almost always increase with elevation should make the iron shots go even further with a tailwind & go much less far with a headwind.  But, alas, no.

I think we give WGT far too much credit for a level of sophistication that really doesn't exist. There are follks who swear a grove of trees will affect the wind enough to alter the ball's path.  I say bunk as they're not even sophisticated enough to include a real-time anemometer - a feature I first saw in a video golf game in 1989 for pete's sake!

Oh well, guess I'll stick with b-xd balls then.  The WGT movie has me scoring as well with them anyway without the headaches of anti-physics.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Thu, Aug 4 2022 6:24 AM

Remember the flash days where wind would change with the camera views?  The wind might not be the same further down the fairway vs from the shot’s originating location.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Thu, Aug 4 2022 2:20 PM

Robbo81303:

That would be fine in a vacuum but there are forces that are supposed to be acting on the ball.  The higher trajectory in a headwind should mean there's more time for the wind to exert its force, therefore shorter distances, not longer.

I think what you describe is happening in the game as well but there are differences in the ball flight (trajectory) from club to club. Let's say we hit with the same wind (ex. 14 face at 6 o' clock) 2 different irons: One light and one heavy (9 iron and 4 iron). Type of shot: flat in both cases. The apex will tell only half of the truth. Why? Because we can have the same apex (let's say 115 feet) but the flight and trajectory of the ball will be completely different. In 9 iron case we have a small distance to cover and our stroke will be more egg shape trajectory, meanwile in 4 iron case our  trajectory is way wider. In second case, our ball stays in the air longer, so it's quite normal that air affects more the ball and consequently the carry.

Let's say that in first case our distance is 135, meanwhile in second 210. If you hit flat both shots, the 9 iron will carry the distance and the 4 iron will come up way short (for the reason i explained above).

Robbo81303:

Moreover, woods & drivers behave differently.That makes no sense as their trajectory, while lower, is still affected similarly, yet they go further with a tailwind. 

Same discussion here. You have to take in account the distance of the ball travelling into the air + trajectory + apex.

These forces ''work'' as one and define the final carry of the ball.

The trajectory of the driver is not lower, actually is way higher (with the driver you register apexes like 150-155 ft, which will never see using the irons....talking about flat fairways of course and not elevated ).

As for 3-wood, you are right...it's a low loft club.

Robbo81303:

I think we give WGT far too much credit for a level of sophistication that really doesn't exist.

Totally agree with you here!!

However, what we are trying to do here is to understand how the game plays, and yes, there are many inconsistencies that won't make absolutely sense. No pattern in it from physics perspective.  My eternal complain (more than iron/wood/driver/winds incosistencies) is putting and the way that they have implemented it in the game....no comments here!!! just lol...

• Tabarnak777
    168 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2022 4:06 PM

pmm711:

Remember the flash days where wind would change with the camera views?  The wind might not be the same further down the fairway vs from the shot’s originating location.

It's still the case.

• PAGES
RSS