Forums

Help › Forums

18th hole on Merion

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 21 2020 6:13 AM (8 replies)
  • Rick630Ham
    1 Posts
    Thu, Apr 3 2014 4:03 PM

You should at least be able to reach the fairway on the 18th hole on Merion with a 12mph wind at your back. The way it is now is totally unfair.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Thu, Apr 3 2014 8:33 PM

Rick630Ham:

You should at least be able to reach the fairway on the 18th hole on Merion with a 12mph wind at your back. The way it is now is totally unfair.

It's the same as it was at last years US open, that's the 'real' hole. If you cannot reach the green with your second shot you need a longer driver or longer irons, and of course that'll cost you. That's WGT's business model.

With starter equipment such as yours that hole is going to be a pain and I cannot in all honesty advise you to upgrade your driver until you've dropped the hybrid and bought three good wedges. Until then that hole is going to continue to be difficult.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:40 PM
    Use backspin.
  • alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Apr 3 2014 10:52 PM

Pardon me John, a third wedge is only justified with custom irons IMHO. How should three wedges fit below a 90 yds PW?

@Rick: Me thinks that you are in a difficult situation. The game becomes tough with Starter equipment, but from a 68.8 average, 67.0 is close which will bring you to Master tees which will add another 30 yds to MER#18. That would be about time to spend a bullseye in the Pro Shop.

Decision time: keep playing small time, or start the fun investing some cash or time for videos etc.

If so, a budget start is one quality 3WD (G20?, 235 yds) as a driver replacement, and two short wedges from lvl 39 up.

Switching to custom balls (Tour-SD?) would burn small holes in your pocket constantly, and a putter (>500 crs!) would push your putting.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 1:10 PM

Rick630Ham:

You should at least be able to reach the fairway on the 18th hole on Merion with a 12mph wind at your back.

With the right combination of aim, ball spin, hit timing, and no wind, you can reach Merion's 18th fairway from the Tour Pro tees.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 1:11 PM

Rick630Ham:

You should at least be able to reach the fairway on the 18th hole on Merion with a 12mph wind at your back.

With the right combination of aim, ball spin, hit timing, and no wind, you can reach Merion's 18th fairway from the Tour Pro tees.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 1:12 PM

Rick630Ham:

With the right combination of aim, ball spin, hit timing, and no wind - you can reach Merion's 18th fairway from the Tour Pro tees with the Starter driver and a WGT ball, but just barely.

You need to land the ball in the rough slightly to the left (as seen from the tee) of the dirt cart path that runs to the near end of the fairway. 

• RobC
    9 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2020 9:56 PM

Yes I agree. i have a club that would reach the fairway 95 % of the time based on the carry distance for head winds etc etc i.e all conditions on any hole in WGT, but for some reason on the 18th tee I only reach the fairway about 10 % of the time. 

• craigswan
    30,973 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2020 6:13 AM

driver .

7 iron to 6 yards .

and a shaky putt .

new clubs needed for you i'm afraid .

Been there .

RSS