Forums

Help › Forums

Here is why flat putts come up short

Tue, Oct 25 2011 9:10 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 5:37 PM

Say you have a 4.0 ft putt that shows 0 slope (flat) on Tournament Speed greens.  You hit it with 3.5ft of power and it comes up just short!  Costs you a birdie! 

The next short putt you decide to give it more power but it lips out on you!  Another birdie gone! Damnit!

Next short putt has a sharp break and now you're almost afraid to hit it.   You think,  I'll hit it harder and take the break out.  No, I'll hit it easier and die it in the side of the cup.  Short putts on really fast greens can get into your head!  You decide to split the difference, miss the ding, and the putt slides by the low side of the cup.  You break your mouse.

Sound familiar??

Confidence on short putts is everything.  The key is not to miss that first short putt in a round.  That means don't miss any.

There's a short putt on the 2nd at Kiawah, to the right of the flag where its a straight putt, that I've come up short on a couple of times.  Its 4 to 5 ft and it says 0 slope.

It lies, its really up .44 inches, nearly half an inch, and only because the slope indicator does whole inches and not tenths of an inch.  And .5 inches is .5 ft of power on your putter. 

Here's a look at that putt on #2 at Kiawah in the panels below.  Click on the image for a bigger view.

Panel 1:  From the ball to 3.2 ft from the ball the little green triangle is pointing down and slope says 0 in.

Panel 2: I move the aimer just 1 pixel towards the hole and the green triangle flips, it now points up, but still says the slope is 0 inches.  This is where the  "hidden upslope" begins.

Panel 3: At the hole, says 4 ft and 0 slope.  Green triangle is pointing up.

Panel 4: I keep dragging the aimer past the hole, at 5.1 ft I finally get told there's a 1 inch upslope!

Panel 5: I keep dragging the aimer and at 7.2 ft I get told its now a 2 inch upslope!

Below is a side view of the putt that illustrates what's going on with the slope.

That little rise of .44 inches, starting 10 inches in front of the cup, when the ball is rolling its slowest, is a killer.

So, to make more short putts drag the aimer past the  pin and look for an upslope.  Take these hidden upslopes into consideration when you're facing a short putt on really fast greens and stop leaving them short!

P.S. This also works to find hidden downslopes, which can cause the ball to roll too fast and cause lip outs or long comeback putts.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 6:35 PM

That really is some great advice, although I only get to "Very Fast" Greens (not ready for RG's, etc. yet) I've been leaving 3 or 4 birdies and par saves per 18 holes short, just like you mentioned...dead straight putts within 8ft...

Gonna go put it to the test ru

right now!

Thanks.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 3:13 PM

MBaggese:

right now!

How did it go MB?

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sun, Sep 19 2010 8:07 AM

I've just put it to the test (only 1 putt so far mind), but it works!

18 foot putt, v.fast greens and the game says flat, but has a down arrow. Check the green, and it actually goes further downhill than that. I change my putt accordingly, and it goes straight into the hole!

• stevenjack
    71 Posts
    Sun, Sep 19 2010 8:17 AM
    andyson,did not realize this. thanks for thr info!!will use it in the future !
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 2:48 PM

andyson:

MBaggese:

right now!

How did it go MB?

If only I could putt sttraight!...lol, but yes, I did find 2 putts on SA that it kept me from coming up short.

Also, I fould one hole that it kept me from running too far past the hole, notice it was slightly dropping off behind the hole, although the grid was still Blue...i/e about a foot in front of the hole was 8 inches above, hole was 7 inches above and about a foot behind was 6 inches above...makes a lot of diference on the very fast greens for sure.

Again...good info.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 7:25 PM

andyson:
    It lies, its really up .44 inches, nearly half an inch, and only because the slope indicator does whole inches and not tenths of an inch.  And .5 inches is .5 ft of power on your putter. 

Good info andyson, and the quote above would be a GREAT thing for WGT to develop further, and allow for more accurate readings, even if only on the putts that are <5 feet or so.

• SLinSD
    12 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 10:00 AM

I appreciate the tip, Andyson. I have no such problems on the VERY FAST greens though (besides the occasional hand cramp). It is only on TOURNAMENT speed greens.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 10:42 AM

A slight, unseen, incline at the cup is much more dangerous on Tournament speed greens since we're hitting the putts much softer.  An unseen .4 inch upslope is equivalent to .4 ft of putter power.

If you hit a  3ft putt on tournament greens with 75% power that's 2.25 ft of power when in reality, with the unseen slope, you would have needed 3.4 x .75 or 2.6 ft of power.

• Fubar057
    170 Posts
    Fri, Oct 21 2011 2:38 PM

OK good info.  Here's another problem ive  come up against.  I know that when your putting that blue means up hill and red means down hill  but what does it mean if you have a 20ft putt up hill  and it has a 8ft incline, which u would add 8ft to the 20ft making it 28 ft,  but the line shows a half blue line from the putter and the changes to light blue the othr half.  My question is do u add more footage than the 8 ft. and if so how much.???

• PAGES
RSS